inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2229
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Lucius » August 13th, 2016, 11:12 pm

This is funny as hell. Brian Fargo has always been a politician. Can the people at the Codex not read what he writes???? That sentence right there regarding console versions...
However, we’ve gone to the crowd and they’ve given us money for a very specific purpose, which is to put our games on the PC, Mac and Linux. So that’s where we’re expending 100% of our efforts. We don’t spend any of our time wondering whether it can or can’t be done on consoles, because that isn’t our charter. Our charter is to deliver these first versions.
...does not preclude console versions. It clearly says that InXile will be devoting 100% of it's effort for PC platforms. It implies their #1 priority is to build a great game for those platforms first. Sure another sentence needs added there, "afterwards we'll see if our design would work with the restraints of current consoles and if so port it through a 3rd party or post PC release." I don't follow TTON, so I've never seen this statement before 5 minutes ago and I immediately saw what that meant. Really Codex? That was beyond you? This surprised real humans???

Brian Fargo is also a businessman and I guarantee you, if he could sit in the publisher chair again, he would. I don't think he would sacrifice making the kinds of games he likes to make to do it, but you know he will have his cake and eat it too if he is able to. He might love making certain kinds of games, but inXile is not a non-profit. For all the talk of not having to appeal to the mass market, which is true, it doesn't mean he isn't looking to get rich(er) if he can get a major success on his hands. That is helped along quite a bit by consoles.

Here's a hint btw, BTIV will be on consoles too. 100% GUARANTEE IT. Don't be surprised in a year or two when that gets officially announced.

As for this whole cancellation thing, sounds kind of shitty. It certainly isn't because BF is afraid to answer the Codex's questions. That's just idiotic to think that. Most likely comes down to not wanting to waste time on some shitty website that 95% of the world has never heard of. I'm certain inXIle and Brian Fargo respects the Codex very much, but I doubt they take it all too seriously. It isn't a very credible, reliable, or highly viewed, or well regarded press agency, even compared to the shit that is gaming media. Compared to IGN or Polygon etc or even popular Youtubers, the Codex's audience is too insignificant to really matter when it comes to press events. These events are about exposure, not for aging fanboys, with the maturity level of 12 year olds, to get attention from their game developer idols, that they apparently feel that they are entitled to. Someone from Techland probably browsed the website and said "why the fuck were these people invited to a press event?" then swiftly found a reason to get rid of the riff-raff.

User avatar
valcik
Acolyte
Posts: 53
Joined: March 15th, 2012, 8:19 am
Location: Slovakia

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by valcik » August 14th, 2016, 1:16 am

Lucius wrote:That sentence right there regarding console versions......does not preclude console versions. It clearly says that InXile will be devoting 100% of it's effort for PC platforms. It implies their #1 priority is to build a great game for those platforms first.
Where's the final PC version then? Since the concole version is going to be promoted on upcoming Gamescon, we should've been playing our PC versions already according to your logic. And implying that you have maturity level of grown up person with all your BACKER badges is just funny as hell too, kiddo.

natzy
Acolyte
Posts: 50
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by natzy » August 14th, 2016, 2:55 am

The least they can do now is release the full game on Steam. That way when the console version releases, it will be free of bugs thanks to us PC users :)))
Look out below! Above! Sideways!

SagaDC
Global Moderator
Posts: 3471
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 5:51 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by SagaDC » August 14th, 2016, 6:54 am

Goral wrote:Extort? What proof do you have of that?
The developer of the indie game in question admitted to asking for money when approached about the problem. He only admitted it after InXile made an official statement about it. The fact that the indie developer didn't admit to it until it was brought up by someone else speaks volumes about his intentions.
Goral wrote:And for some reason they didn't sue Activision or Bethesda for using Wasteland in their titles, I wonder why...
Activisions "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland" was released before InXile successfully registered for the Wasteland trademark. InXile can't retroactively approach someone about perceived trademark infringement. The title of the product also contains a clear identifier that differentiates it from the Wasteland franchise ("Tony Hawk's"), which may be why the previous trademark holder (either Electronic Arts or Konami) did not approach them about it.

Bethesda's "Fallout 4: Wasteland Workshop" is not a standalone product, and requires the use of another product to function, thus it does not conflict with the Wasteland franchise trademark as it is currently filed. It also contains a clear identifier ("Fallout 4") that differentiates it from the Wasteland franchise.

User avatar
Goral
Acolyte
Posts: 78
Joined: March 15th, 2012, 2:22 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Goral » August 14th, 2016, 9:22 am

SagaDC wrote:The developer of the indie game in question admitted to asking for money when approached about the problem. (...)
I was asking for proof not more of the same. Instead of "Brother None said so" I got "developer said so". Provide a link to his response (in one form or another) and then I'll believe. Sorry but after recent incidents inXile has lost credibility in my eyes.
Activisions "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland" was released before InXile successfully registered for the Wasteland trademark.
No.
In 2003, inXile Entertainment, founded by Wasteland's producer and co-designer, Brian Fargo, acquired the rights to Wasteland from Konami, which held it in relation to the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise and had let the rights lapse.

And Wasteland trademark has been registered by inXile on 18th February 2005 while THP Wasteland was released in late October 2005 on GC, in November and December on Xbox and in Febraury and April 2006 on Windows.
Bethesda's "Fallout 4: Wasteland Workshop" is not a standalone product, and requires the use of another product to function, thus it does not conflict with the Wasteland franchise trademark as it is currently filed. It also contains a clear identifier ("Fallout 4") that differentiates it from the Wasteland franchise.
lol
Firstly, when I type Wasteland in Steam search box it's the fourth position. Alien Wasteland wouldn't even be there. Secondly, Alien Wasteland has also had a clear identifier ALIEN that differentiated it from Wasteland 2. And compare a FPS game where you shoot to aliens with a a game that has tons of common elements with Wasteland. The only reason inXile didn't sue Bethesda was because they're too big and too dangerous to mess with while indie game developers are easy to bully.

Thirdly, somehow SEGA did not deem it necessary to C&D this indie developer for using ALIEN as a title (and it has much more in common with Alien vs. Predator series than with Wasteland 2). Fourthly, I could somewhat understand that you would C&D indie developers of Wasteland Kings and force them to change their title to Nuclear Throne (even though it's still bullying) but this Alien Wasteland was just low.

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 5753
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Zombra » August 14th, 2016, 9:30 am

Goral wrote:
SagaDC wrote:The developer of the indie game in question admitted to asking for money when approached about the problem. (...)
I was asking for proof not more of the same. Instead of "Brother None said so" I got "developer said so". Provide a link to his response (in one form or another) and then I'll believe.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/382080/ ... 8592791633
ctrl-f "compensation"
Image

User avatar
Goral
Acolyte
Posts: 78
Joined: March 15th, 2012, 2:22 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Goral » August 14th, 2016, 9:41 am

Well, seeing this fragment I see why he asked for it:
Now it wouldn't have been an issue for me to change the name of the game if it was still in development like it was the case with Vlambeer. But it is very hard to change the name of a game once it has been known for years. To be short, it is basically consisting in losing all the referencing on search engines, building it all over again with a new name, editing every text and graphic asset containing the title, which is including many graphic assets inside the game itself but also the multiple ones on Steam, Indie Gala Store, Indie Game Stand, Itchio, IndieDB, Facebook, Twitter, etc... on the trailer, on the Steam trading cards, etc... and also taking the risk to have the title change badly interpreted by the public. This is a hard and long work for a supposed trademark infringement which was looking quite insane to me, especially when I was already extremely busy with game development.
It doesn't change much, they bully the weak and leave the strong alone. These are facts. If they sue Bethesda I will change my opinion of them but for now they're just as bad as Bethesda.

User avatar
dorkboy
Master
Posts: 1772
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by dorkboy » August 14th, 2016, 10:00 am

@Goral
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that inXile resolved the situation with Vlambeer/Wasteland Kings/Nuclear Throne without resorting to lawyers/C&Ds?
Anyways, there's a separate thread for that particular equine, so perhaps that would be the place to direct further post mortem lashings?

---

There's a time and place for bashing console peasants, but maybe a private/exclusive event explicitly dedicated in part to showcasing a console port paid for (presumably in return for a chunk of the future sales revenue) by the same company booking said event (and possibly even paying for that) isn't it?
marmelade & jam

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8805
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Drool » August 14th, 2016, 11:42 am

Goral wrote: If they sue Bethesda I will change my opinion of them but for now they're just as bad as Bethesda.
I'm sure their sleep will be in no way disturbed.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 825
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Lord of Riva » August 16th, 2016, 9:34 am

oh i didnt realise this was such a big deal O.o

kilobug
Adventurer
Posts: 896
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 1:07 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by kilobug » August 16th, 2016, 11:32 am

valcik wrote:
Lucius wrote:That sentence right there regarding console versions......does not preclude console versions. It clearly says that InXile will be devoting 100% of it's effort for PC platforms. It implies their #1 priority is to build a great game for those platforms first.
Where's the final PC version then?
From what I've understood, *inXile* is devoting 100% of its efforts for PC platforms, while a third-party (Techland) is porting the game to consoles, which is compatible with the initial wording.

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 5753
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Zombra » August 16th, 2016, 12:50 pm

kilobug wrote:
valcik wrote:
Lucius wrote:That sentence right there regarding console versions......does not preclude console versions. It clearly says that InXile will be devoting 100% of it's effort for PC platforms. It implies their #1 priority is to build a great game for those platforms first.
Where's the final PC version then?
From what I've understood, *inXile* is devoting 100% of its efforts for PC platforms, while a third-party (Techland) is porting the game to consoles, which is compatible with the initial wording.
Nope. "Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4." Techland may be paying for it, but it looks like inXile is doing the development.

There's a big difference between "We are making a PC game first and foremost" and "We're making a cross-platform game, but we've already spent the Kickstarter money on PC stuff so it's OK to get more money elsewhere and change direction."
Image

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 8805
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Drool » August 16th, 2016, 4:42 pm

I suppose you could parse it that way if you were dead set on assuming bad faith.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 5753
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Zombra » August 16th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Drool wrote:I suppose you could parse it that way if you were dead set on assuming bad faith.
You honestly think Techland "backing" the port means they're developing it and inXile isn't?
Image

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1175
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by IHaveHugeNick » August 16th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Zombra wrote:
Drool wrote:I suppose you could parse it that way if you were dead set on assuming bad faith.
You honestly think Techland "backing" the port means they're developing it and inXile isn't?
What difference does it make? Even if InXile makes the port, Techland fronting the bill doesn't mean they are paying for gold crusted combs for Colin. They're paying for contracting additional personal to work on the port.

Besides, making console port is hardly a mammoth job, Xbox is basically running Windows these days.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 5753
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Zombra » August 16th, 2016, 9:47 pm

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
Zombra wrote:
Drool wrote:I suppose you could parse it that way if you were dead set on assuming bad faith.
You honestly think Techland "backing" the port means they're developing it and inXile isn't?
What difference does it make?
Look, Brian said that inXile is spending 100% of their efforts (not 100% of KS money ... 100% of their efforts) on the PC game. If they got hired by Techland to make it a console game also, they are now no longer spending 100% of their efforts on the PC version. That's the black and white of it.

It really would be different if inXile made the PC version first and then farmed it out to some other company to consolize it ... but it's undeniable that gears have shifted; now they're making a cross-platform game for day one release. Whether the PC version will be "PC enough" isn't the point; the point is that their focus has been split, which goes back on their original promise. You may shrug and let it slide, but that breach of backer trust is a big deal.
IHaveHugeNick wrote:Besides, making console port is hardly a mammoth job, Xbox is basically running Windows these days.
No argument here. Personally, I have every expectation that the game will be excellent and suffer from a bare minimum of console dumbening. But again, that's not the point; this is about credibility.
Image

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 825
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Lord of Riva » August 16th, 2016, 9:58 pm

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
Besides, making console port is hardly a mammoth job, Xbox is basically running Windows these days.
im not joining in but that one is false, its quite a bit of work. this is not only true for consoles but multi platform in general.

kilobug
Adventurer
Posts: 896
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 1:07 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by kilobug » August 17th, 2016, 12:40 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:What difference does it make? Even if InXile makes the port, Techland fronting the bill doesn't mean they are paying for gold crusted combs for Colin. They're paying for contracting additional personal to work on the port.
I agree on that.
IHaveHugeNick wrote:Besides, making console port is hardly a mammoth job, Xbox is basically running Windows these days.
And PS4 is basically FreeBSD which is very close to Linux, and they use an engine (Unity3D) which natively supports consoles, so the "purely technical" side of the porting is not that hard. It still involves a significant testing effort and probably many little fixes.

The hardest part is the UI/input system, you need to handle the controllers and make a console-friendly UI, which does require some effort, but sure not that huge compared to core mechanics, writing/editing/translating all the text, producing all the art, designing, implementing and testing all the quests, ...
Zombra wrote:Look, Brian said that inXile is spending 100% of their efforts (not 100% of KS money ... 100% of their efforts) on the PC game. If they got hired by Techland to make it a console game also, they are now no longer spending 100% of their efforts on the PC version. That's the black and white of it.
That's a matter of interpretation, as often. Because percentages don't mean anything without knowing percentage of what we are speaking about. When Brian said that, inXile had a fixed budget (say, $6 millions, KS money - fees/rewards fulfillment + what they chip in) and will invest 100% of their effort (of those $6 millions, and associated workforce) for the PC version. Then Techland comes in and say "we'll give you $1 million for you to make console ports". inXile hire more testers and programmers and UI designers and ... to handle the console port. Sure, inXile in no longer spending 100% of their "$7 millions" effort, but they are still spending 100% of the "$6 millions" effort which was the effort considered when Brian said it.

Say, you're walking with your kid to a bakery, buy a baguette and a bag of candy, sand says to the kid "I'm giving you all the candies after you ate your lunch". Then on the way back home, your neighbour gives you another bag of candies, leftover form the birthday party of his granddaughter. And you say your kid "the second bag of candies will be for tomorrow". Are you breaking the initial promise ? No, the candies covered by the initial promise were those available at the time of the promise, not the candies given to you afterwards.

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1175
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by IHaveHugeNick » August 17th, 2016, 5:38 am

Zombra wrote: Look, Brian said that inXile is spending 100% of their efforts (not 100% of KS money ... 100% of their efforts) on the PC game. If they got hired by Techland to make it a console game also, they are now no longer spending 100% of their efforts on the PC version. That's the black and white of it.
ation that the game will be excellent and suffer from a bare minimum of console dumbening. But again, that's not the point; this is about credibility.
But the bulk of people working on it wouldn't even be on the team if Techland didn't pay for it.
Lord of Riva wrote:
IHaveHugeNick wrote:
Besides, making console port is hardly a mammoth job, Xbox is basically running Windows these days.
im not joining in but that one is false, its quite a bit of work. this is not only true for consoles but multi platform in general.
Look, I'm not saying making a port is just clicking a button, but it's considerably easier with the current generation of consoles, now that Xbox is running Windows and the hardware has moved to x86 architecture. Both consoles are essentially PCs now. The most effort goes probably into making console UI and control scheme.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 5753
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: inXile / RPG Codex Gamescom Interview Scuttled

Post by Zombra » August 17th, 2016, 9:02 am

kilobug wrote:That's a matter of interpretation, as often. Because percentages don't mean anything without knowing percentage of what we are speaking about. When Brian said that, inXile had a fixed budget (say, $6 millions, KS money - fees/rewards fulfillment + what they chip in) and will invest 100% of their effort (of those $6 millions, and associated workforce) for the PC version. Then Techland comes in and say "we'll give you $1 million for you to make console ports". inXile hire more testers and programmers and UI designers and ... to handle the console port. Sure, inXile in no longer spending 100% of their "$7 millions" effort, but they are still spending 100% of the "$6 millions" effort which was the effort considered when Brian said it.

Say, you're walking with your kid to a bakery, buy a baguette and a bag of candy, sand says to the kid "I'm giving you all the candies after you ate your lunch". Then on the way back home, your neighbour gives you another bag of candies, leftover form the birthday party of his granddaughter. And you say your kid "the second bag of candies will be for tomorrow". Are you breaking the initial promise ? No, the candies covered by the initial promise were those available at the time of the promise, not the candies given to you afterwards.
So if circumstances change, it's OK for promises to be broken. Got it.

"I know I said 'I' would be true forever, baby, but the 'I' that said that no longer exists! He died when I met Crystal! Say hello to the new me!"
IHaveHugeNick wrote:But the bulk of people working on it wouldn't even be on the team if Techland didn't pay for it.
First: what do you know about inXile's employment structure? Second: that's immaterial to the point that inXile is now spending effort on console versions of the game, contrary to what Brian said.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests