Include daily blog updates during the Kickstarter run

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
Schwa
Initiate

Include daily blog updates during the Kickstarter run

Post by Schwa » March 11th, 2012, 1:16 pm

I have started a few threads on community forums, the most prominent being the Penny-Arcade. Each time news is released, the thread gets a little bump of activity. If there were daily updates to the blog, even if they are minor things such as concept art or status updates, the threads will have a legitimate reason to be bumped and receive more visibility and thus more eyeballs on the kickstarter page.

Best of luck team inxile!

Preyer
Initiate

Re: Include daily blog updates during the Kickstarter run

Post by Preyer » March 11th, 2012, 3:05 pm

One of the best things about the Double Fine Kickstarter is that they are documenting their development with 2Player Productions.

It would be nice to see frequent updates from you about the game and how the development goes on. Of course, developing the game should come first, but it is always interesting to hear how things progress.

The updates don't have to be daily, just make sure that you do it every once in a while. It is most annoying when somebody is first a really active updater, but then forgets to post anything in months.

sweetcraspy
Initiate

Post by sweetcraspy » March 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Created an account to emphasize this. I've followed two Kickstarters in the past ~month. The bigger one was the Double Fine Adventure, and that did amazingly. However, it got most of its activity early on. It cleared a million dollars almost instantly, then slowed down a lot. Now it's "only" at ~2.9 million. That's fantastic and it might represent market saturation, but it was not nearly able to keep up its steam.

Compare that to the activity chart for Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick Kickstarter, which cleared ~1.25 million:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599 ... sts/178261
That red line never faltered even for a moment!

Burlew made updates almost every day, and was very active in the comment threads on Kickstarter. He was always ready with a new short term goal for the campaign and put together an huge set of neat swag for all contributors. I'm sure it was a huge job, but it really kept the campaign's momentum going.

Double Fine, on the other hand waited a week before posting an update and only posted four updates total over the course of their campaign. I was not drawn into the campaign in the same way.

I urge inExile to put someone on the Kickstarter full time. This forum is great, but it's not directly tied to your source of funding the way the Kickstarter comments section is. Once you make your funding goal (and I'm sure you will), start identifying new targets for aspirational game features. If you care to, price out some physical merchandise and put up a target number for adding them to the rewards section.

Most of all, give people a reason to visit the Kickstarter page every day, and to evaluate their donation level against the available options as often as possible. I increased my backing level to Burlew's kickstarter three times because he gave me a reason to.

Bonecrusher
Acolyte

Post by Bonecrusher » March 12th, 2012, 4:13 pm

thumbs up for sweetcraspy.
very good analysis indeed. i agree with you.

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 12th, 2012, 4:57 pm

i also agree with sweetcraspy. furthermore i don't think that wasteland 2 generated enough hype. we currently have only 534 members on this forum (i somehow disregard the fbook page with 1500 so likes).
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy

mbpopolano24
Novice

Post by mbpopolano24 » March 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I support frequent updates in Kickstarter, but I also think every product has its own trajectory. Double fine reached saturation early on, but I don’t think this is a bad thing or that daily updates would have make any difference. If people are enthusiast about a project, they will show their support early, and almost 80,000 backers for an adventure game is a lot of backers.

Also, even if this forum has ‘only’ 534 members, please remember that it has just started and the game is not even out there in Kickstarter yet. I regularly visit other well-established RPG sites and they all talk a lot about Wasteland 2.

I am pretty sure this project will reach its goal in no time and has the potentials to be a huge success.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 12th, 2012, 5:55 pm

These are some pretty good suggestions. Good stuff, guys.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Quarex
Scholar

Post by Quarex » March 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Yeah, Sweetcraspy, that is awesome, because for all of our various efforts on whatever forums we frequent, the most important place to be sure you have a real presence is on the Kickstarter itself, certainly.

Still, though, if anyone reading this frequents a forum where there is no thread talking about this game, you should consider starting one! You can just copy my thread from the SomethingAwful forums if you want a starter full of pictures from the first game and over-the-top adoration 8-)