Forum software logs out too fast

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
meganothing
Scholar

Forum software logs out too fast

Post by meganothing » February 1st, 2015, 4:41 am

I just lost a huge writeup because my session was terminated while I was writing it.

Sure, that is easy to avoid if I know what's coming. But whenever I forget I get bitten by this again. And I lost quite a few writeups this way.

So, please, increase the timeout for being logged in. It doesn't remove the problem completely but is easy to implement and removes the problem in most cases.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Forum software logs out too fast

Post by Zombra » February 1st, 2015, 9:59 am

My name is Zombra, and I support this message.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 1st, 2015, 12:03 pm

If you're using Chrome or a Gecko-based browser (eg: Firefox), you should be able to hit the back key and recover your post. Also, I thought the timeout was pretty generous. I've had some posts that have taken upwards of thirty minutes to write, research, include links/photos, etc. without ever logging off.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

meganothing
Scholar

Post by meganothing » February 1st, 2015, 1:58 pm

Yep, using firefox and the back button was no help, I tried it.

I tend to be very slow writing down my thoughts, especially when it is not my mother language. And many times I get sidetracked. For example just now, I watched tv inbetween, total time to write these message 20 minutes and counting.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » February 1st, 2015, 10:22 pm

The current session timeout is: 1 hour.

A simple trick for avoiding the timeout: use the Preview feature as a "save point" / session keep alive. Every time you click Preview button, you reset the clock (giving yourself another hour to work). ;)

But even if you forget, you can always recover your posts from the Request Headers [assuming you have a modern browser]. :geek:

Here's an example for finding them in Chrome (or at least get you around the right area; writing this from memory):

Code: Select all

Back [Button] (if you need to find the page you were taken to /after/ hitting submit.)
[Menu] -> More Tools -> Developer tools
Network [Tab]
*.php [Path entry on the left] (it's probably posting.php)
Headers [Tab]
Your full post should be an entry in the Request Headers.
Firefox and IE have similar tools built-in for accessing the Request Headers.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.