GoG's Mac patch support is awful

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
bub
Initiate

GoG's Mac patch support is awful

Post by bub » January 26th, 2015, 7:00 am

Hi,

I just wanted to briefly share my experience using GoG for my digital copy of Wasteland 2, in terms of the patches. The point of this is to possibly motivate people (perhaps even inXile themselves) to act in some fashion that encourages GoG to improve the current deplorable state of things.

Complaint 1:

Each patch is only available until the next patch is released, at which point it is removed from GoG's site. This leaves users with the option of either making sure they frequently check for patches (for there is no notification) to make sure they don't miss one; or, if they do, downloading the whole 10GiB game again from scratch.

Complaint 2:

Each and every single patch they have offered has been a nightmare for me to install successfully. I'm running Wasteland 2 on a Mac Pro, and the first thing you notice about the patch install process is that it doesn't appear to be multi-HDD/SDD aware! It consistently chooses the boot drive for the install, regardless of where the binary actually is.
Once I choose the correct drive, it doesn't ask for the location of the binary. This is problematic for me because of the measures I have to take to cover my *ss during the patching process - I have a couple of current copies of the binary lying around in different folders and drives as backups. So, I have to juggle them to make sure the right one gets patched, and when you're talking about a 20GiB binary, that's some time-consuming juggling. I never know which binary the patch will work with, even when I only let it find one binary at a time.
Then the actual install begins, and it always requires an admin password, even though the app is owned by the current user, on a drive to which the current user has full access.
And then the patching begins and, in my case, always reports success, despite the fact that it has, in fact, failed: the log itself will declare the patch to have failed!

I've reported all this to GoG, and with the new Spanish hotfix I'm left wondering whether I care anymore. one thing is true: I shan't be buying new games from GoG in the future. Old games that have most likely had all the patches they're going to get, probably.

If there's a kind and generous inXile employee around: I don't suppose you'd let me swap the GoG key for a Steam one? Or is that just an entirely different set of problems?

*sigh*

Ranger out.

sear
Developer

Re: GoG's Mac patch support is awful

Post by sear » January 26th, 2015, 10:00 am

Sorry to hear about your experience. GOG.com build the patch installers from the update files we send them so we don't have much influence over the final update process.

Give us a shout at support@inxile.net if you'd like to follow up on that. Thanks!

bub
Initiate

Post by bub » January 26th, 2015, 10:22 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I realise it's not inXile's fault. It's just frustrating that my choices are: GoG - DRM-free but terrible patch support; or Steam - DRM but AFAIK better patch support.

If I can create a coherent description of the problems I'm experiencing, I may contact inXile at the email address you've supplied. Maybe they can offer additional advice.

Thanks.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » January 26th, 2015, 11:44 am

Yeah, I (PC user) don't like the way they post their patches either. Slow and confusing.

Still like em better than Steam though :)

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » January 26th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Our contact at GOG has stated they are working on improving the patching system; we just don't know when that will happen. It could be worse: Linux users don't even have patches. :cry:
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » January 27th, 2015, 5:55 am

tonurics wrote:Our contact at GOG has stated they are working on improving the patching system; we just don't know when that will happen. It could be worse: Linux users don't even have patches. :cry:
Liar ;)
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11081

Well, it’s right that there’s no patches provided by GOG.com themselves, but thanks to your work Linux gamers are not helpless.

bub
Initiate

Post by bub » January 27th, 2015, 9:19 am

Zombra wrote:Still like em better than Steam though :)
OOC: in what ways does playing/patching Wasteland 2 through Steam differ from the same but through GoG? AFAIK the patches are released more quickly, but that's anecdotal, I haven't actually checked.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 27th, 2015, 9:52 am

bub wrote:
OOC: in what ways does playing/patching Wasteland 2 through Steam differ from the same but through GoG? AFAIK the patches are released more quickly, but that's anecdotal, I haven't actually checked.
We release patches on Steam ourselves directly, so you do get them faster that way (which might be important if we need to put out hotfixes, too).

The main difference is that Steam updates are downloaded and installed automatically by the game client, while GOG.com's updates are separate downloadable installers you can save and run at will.

Due to differences in their patching systems, Steam's updates are generally significantly larger than GOG.com's, but GOG.com has the issue of making it inconvenient to upgrade older versions of the game if you miss a patch along the way.

Otherwise, there's Steam-exclusive features like Steam Achievements and Steam Cloud saving that GOG.com doesn't have.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » January 27th, 2015, 12:24 pm

bub wrote:
Patching is definitely easier with Steam, but gog doesn't have wait for sync and "first time" setup windows and application already running errors and client must be restarted to play anything and ...

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » January 27th, 2015, 4:08 pm

vv221 wrote:Liar ;)

Well, it’s right that there’s no patches provided by GOG.com themselves, but thanks to your work Linux gamers are not helpless.
Heh, but in pointing that out: I would have been using a shameless self link. And that wouldn't help the op. ;)

I would be happy to "support" Mac GOG patches. But I'm not willing to do them myself (I don't think any Mac users have downloaded the Steam patches I made).
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.