Bard's Tale IV

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
Ghamarro
Initiate

Bard's Tale IV

Post by Ghamarro » October 27th, 2014, 4:47 pm

To my understanding there has been some legal obsticles in the way of inXile continuing work within that franchise. what is the current official state of this matter? I'm sure I'm not alone yearning for a BTIV in a modernized fashion, the same way WL got going from 1 to 2. Cheers.
Pronto!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Re: Bard's Tale IV

Post by Crosmando » October 28th, 2014, 2:20 am

As I understand it - InXile owns the trademark name of "Bard's Tale" or "The Bard's Tale", which they've had since they made the 2004 ARPG, but the actual intellectual rights of BT1-3 (characters, setting/universe, locations etc) belong to EA. So they would need EA's permission to make an actual official sequel/prequel/spinoff in that universe. This was exactly the same deal as Wasteland though, so you'd think it wouldn't be too hard.

I could be wrong though.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Ghamarro
Initiate

Post by Ghamarro » October 28th, 2014, 10:27 am

Word. But then again, the ideal time for negiotiating for the rights to Bard's Tale 1-3 intellectual property probably would've been at the same time Mr. Fargo made his grab for the Wasteland 1 rights, as now that the Wasteland 2 kickstarter funding proved to be a huge success, it might be a tad more difficult to convince EA that BT 1-3 rights are worth diddley and could be given to / sold to inXile for a marginal fee without EA getting worked up over potential losses in the long run.
Pronto!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 4th, 2014, 8:04 pm

True, and on another note there's also quite a lot of similar first-person RPG's of recent and not-so-recent times which could give inspiration for a new BT game, namely:

Might & Magic X
Wizardry 8
Elminage Gothic
Devil Whiskey
Legend of Grimrock 1/2 (the puzzles and dungeon design, not the combat)
Matthias did nothing wrong!