Do these forums even filter?

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
The Tallest
Adventurer

Do these forums even filter?

Post by The Tallest » October 27th, 2014, 7:29 am

Seriously, the spam threads with pirated movies and kitchen cabinets are out of control. Why are there no filters? There are days I browse the forums without being logged on and you can see several Bots browsing. You know these fuckers are just planning to drop spam threads. Back when the forums started these threads ran rampant and then they stopped but now they seem to be back in force. What the hell is going on?

I've asked before but how hard is it to add some additional filters that stop these things? I belong to a few forums and they don't get the threads trying to get you to click a link for illegal movies or kitchen cabinets nearly as often if ever.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Do these forums even filter?

Post by Drool » October 27th, 2014, 2:38 pm

There are filters.

It's just worth keeping in mind that not all spambots are actual bots. A good number of them are actual people, which makes them pretty much impossible to prevent (without preventing legitimate posters), so we have to rely on sweeping them out of the way and banning them after the fact.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » October 27th, 2014, 4:00 pm

There should be some question in the registration that is only human-readable. Like: What is the surname of the Desert Ranger's Leader? General...
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 27th, 2014, 5:02 pm

That would accomplish nothing.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 28th, 2014, 4:25 am

Drool wrote:That would accomplish nothing.
It kind of would though, if you can't answer a simple question of who a character is in the game then it's probably pretty evident you're only here to sell kitchen cabinets.

By the way, his name is Joebob. It's General Joebob McCracken. :lol:
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 28th, 2014, 3:10 pm

The Tallest wrote:It kind of would though, if you can't answer a simple question of who a character is in the game then it's probably pretty evident you're only here to sell kitchen cabinets.
Because they couldn't do a simple Google search? Moreover, if it was a question that could only be answered by someone who has played the game, then you're locking out newbies who might be wanting to ask questions before purchase.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » October 28th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Drool wrote:That would accomplish nothing.
It would stop bots. Current validation system doesn't stop bots from registering. I think they make up the vast majority of spam.

Of course creating a system that blocks all evil people out is impossible, but bots could be turned down rather easily. The possibility of newbies unable to come up with the proper answer is rather theoretic. The question could of course be anything. Animal with wings is called...
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 28th, 2014, 5:30 pm

Alwa nasci korliri das.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » October 29th, 2014, 2:06 am

No need to put a lot of filters which would lead to the risk of blocking legitimate posts. But what about a "report as spam" button on every message to help spot those messages quicker?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 29th, 2014, 5:25 am

Just click the report button. We'll get them. No need to even put anything in if it is obviously spam.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » October 29th, 2014, 7:54 am

Woolfe wrote:Just click the report button. We'll get them. No need to even put anything in if it is obviously spam.
Oops, now I see there is already a report button…
Sorry for the noise, I must have been only half-awaken when making my last post ;)

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 30th, 2014, 4:51 am

Yeah, the report button works. But...how is it that out of all the other forums I frequent this is the only one that gets these spammy, "Buy these kitchen cabinets cheap!!!" and "Watch all these movies free!!" threads?

What are those other forums doing that this one isn't? Hell, not only have I seen threads started trying to hock crap but I've seen posts inside of legitimate threads trying to sell stuff.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » October 30th, 2014, 6:37 am

@The Tallest
Do those other forums require moderator approval for the first [couple of] posts? This one doesn't, obviously.
marmelade & jam

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 30th, 2014, 6:52 am

dorkboy wrote:@The Tallest
Do those other forums require moderator approval for the first [couple of] posts? This one doesn't, obviously.
Yes, they do. You usually have to activate your account before you can post. Then you are limited on how many threads you can make and posting pictures and links until you have a certain amount of posts.

I think these forums need to implement something like that. In the W2 GD board there were two new threads a few minutes ago trying to sell....well I have no idea what they were/trying to sell.

My point is all these spam ad threads from bots or whatever clutter the forum up and make it look like shit. You click on a thread title because it looks legitimate but then it's just a bunch of garbage trying to sell you something.

I don't post a lot, but I click on a lot of threads and read a lot of them. I get irritated that many of the threads are ads for weird stuff.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 30th, 2014, 7:04 am

I dont like forums where you arent able to post after registering. I dont see a big problem with spam threads in the forum, allthough there could be some more guys who have the rights to delete spam.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 30th, 2014, 7:11 am

Tets wrote:I dont like forums where you arent able to post after registering. I dont see a big problem with spam threads in the forum, allthough there could be some more guys who have the rights to delete spam.
It's not that you can't post. It's just you have to verify your account via email. I think it works well to weed out actual members of the forum and the bots who just wish to post ads.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 30th, 2014, 7:21 am

not sure if there is already an email verification in this forum, but some forums exist, where you have to be manually unlocked by a mod/admin. Thats what i meant and dont like. No problems with email verification.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 30th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Tets wrote:not sure if there is already an email verification in this forum, but some forums exist, where you have to be manually unlocked by a mod/admin. Thats what i meant and dont like. No problems with email verification.
I don't remember if there is an email verification for these forms. I'd eager a guess at, "no" which is why we have all these ad threads. I too also dislike forums where you need mod approval to post.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 30th, 2014, 5:13 pm

i think the spam is not done only by bots who are run by a human, but by humans with bot-support. So i quess email verification isnt a big problem for them. I also cant remember exactly if there is a verification, but i think there is one.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 30th, 2014, 6:04 pm

They are humans, not bots.

Especially the Kitchen spam.

Essentially it is cheap to hire manual tech labour from other countries now. Yay globalisation
It's not too late. Make it Eight!