I wonder how the game is doing

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
skotona
Initiate

I wonder how the game is doing

Post by skotona » October 21st, 2014, 2:56 pm

First of all, I really really like the game and I have a big hope that inXile will have an opportunity to do a sequel which could be more detailed, have more art, more voice acting, music and everything else. And more of those radio transmissions too!
So I'm curious about the game's success. Does anybody know how is it doing sales-wise? Will Brian Fargo and team have enough money to do a sequel?
I'm sorry if they already addressed it somewhere. Just point me to that information.
Thanks.

Tets
Master

Re: I wonder how the game is doing

Post by Tets » October 21st, 2014, 3:44 pm

of course i have no exact figures, and the answer also depends on your definition of success (profit, quality of the game, a mix of both?), but it was clearly no failure. In the first days after release they sold copies for about 1,5m $. In general sales arent too bad. Game also got good ratings. Not excellent ratings, but good ratings.

i quess we can expect a third rpg from inxile in the future, if they learned their lessons from wasteland 2 when producing Torment, and also if they treat wasteland 2 as a long time investment, which means they going to support it for a long time, fixing bugs, flaws and broken elements and add much needed features (extended edition like witcher)

In general last months have shown that there is a market for turn based combat and turn based rpgs. Wasteland 2 isnt the only game which features these elements.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 21st, 2014, 4:22 pm

Tets wrote:Game also got good ratings. Not excellent ratings, but good ratings.
While far from definitive, Metacritic isn't terrible for a quick overview. It's currently at 81/100 for critics; 7.3/10 for users (based on 55 and 798 reviews respectively).

Honestly, I'd say that's pretty good. User scores tend to skew weird since everything is either The Best Thing Ever or Worse Than Cancer. 81/100 is a pretty solid score. Also, the critic rankings are scored as 47 positive, 8 mixed, 0 negative. I'd call that a success. Not a monster success, but a success nonetheless.

And, it's not really relevant, but I totally need to quote this 0/10 user review:
Direct copy/paste, all typos are author's wrote:this is my first time on this type of game I prevously played every fallout but lets be honest fallout 3 and NV are legand comparied with the older fallouts so i was gettingready for a morden veriion of that type of game with awesome missions side quests train your players all have different perks well i was wrong non of this is in the game its basiclly like the first fallouts well it sucks
sucks
sucks
sucks
instant forgettable players boring gameplay its like final fantasty but with AWFUL graphics and no story i played 2 hours and just got bored and deleted game worst game of 2014? no but its in top 10

0 of 11 users found this helpful
:lol:
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 21st, 2014, 4:49 pm

ratings are good. of course ratings on metacritic arent "objective", neither the critics or user score. Like you said. But indeed they are a base to start with. I think many critics reviewed the game a bit better than it actually is, because they also want such games back, this new way to fund/produce games etc. Also they saw the potential which is in the game, but isnt used.

For people who simply want to play a nice game, wasteland 2 is probably good. But beeing more involved with this game, i see all the small things which could be better. Still i also see the good things and will appreciate them when finally playing the whole game. but because i want the game more than simply good, and i see potential to make it a true classic, i tend to have a critical point of view.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » October 21st, 2014, 4:57 pm

+80 Metacritic is basically the threshold where you can safely say the game doesn't have any MAJOR issues and the reception will be heavily based on personal preferences more then anything else. As such scores after that threshold tend to be hilariously random, as in, Fallout 2 is lower then Fallout 1, and FNV is lower then F3. Go figure.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.