Soundrack - Why were the FLACs pulled?

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
Blacky
Explorer

Re: Soundrack - Why were the FLACs pulled?

Post by Blacky » October 7th, 2014, 9:59 am

sea wrote:We had to pull it from GOG.com due to licensing agreements with the composer. Lossless was supposed to be exclusive to stand-alone purchases. Sorry guys!
So inXile sold the soundtrack twice (since we all already paid once for it, as in, you know, it's in the game), but they made a deal to get it on the cheap (which is the only explanation as to why the lossless is side exclusive) on top of that?

And some wonder why people go to torrent sites…
Chez Blacky, jdr et autres
If things make sense in a real-world sense, I don’t think people give too much flak for it not being game-y enough, I think keeping the world sense together is the most important thing we can be doing.—Brian Fargo

SubjectEight
Initiate

Post by SubjectEight » October 7th, 2014, 10:13 am

Since GOG stopped selling the Fallout series & with the possible threat of them pulling it out of users libraries (I think it was an unknown when they first did it), I download and archive all game and extra files from them. Space is cheap, loss of access is disappointing...

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 7th, 2014, 11:25 am

Hi guys, we're checking into this now, thanks for your patience. Will update if/when I have more news.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 7th, 2014, 11:32 am

sea wrote:Hi guys, we're checking into this now, thanks for your patience. Will update if/when I have more news.
Thanks!

Kotowst_1
Initiate

Post by Kotowst_1 » October 7th, 2014, 11:46 am

Everyone should just chill. It was a misunderstanding. InXile did nothing wrong, if anything they were looking out for my interest. No one cares more about the backers and all gamers than Brian and his team. It's cool and will be resolved.. Enjoy the game! Cheers, Mark.

Sorry if double post I'm new to this forum and sometimes a little forum challenged...

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 7th, 2014, 12:39 pm

After further discussing this internally and with Mark Morgan, we've all agreed to bring back the FLAC OST for GOG.com users. Enjoy!

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 7th, 2014, 12:40 pm

sea wrote:After further discussing this internally and with Mark Morgan, we've all agreed to bring back the FLAC OST for GOG.com users.
That's great, thanks for clearing this one up!

Wasted Vibe Land
Initiate

Post by Wasted Vibe Land » October 7th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Glad to hear it, looking forward to downloading and enjoying the OST in all its lossless glory! :D

Patient Roller
Scholar

Post by Patient Roller » October 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Nice to hear it resolved so coolly, and I hope all parties are happy with that. While I feel like people overreacted to what was a small thing, I'm REALLY glad that people did react so strongly. Much better than being apathetic about it, which would lower the threshold for accepting bigger injustices in the future. 8-)

Gonchi
Initiate

Post by Gonchi » October 7th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Thank you Mark and inXile.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » October 7th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Here's a fun story I just made up. It's childish, the details are all wrong and it's probably meaningless. But you might enjoy reading it:

inXile was having a small "family party" [backers] and Mark [who owns a restaurant and being the cool guy that he is] said that he would cater to the party and allow people to have free sandwiches. He put extra care into his sandwiches, knowing that the people who liked them would go to his restaurant and try his other dishes.

Meanwhile, everyone was having such a good time: that no one noticed that the party turned into a huge block party when other non-family friends started showing up and joining in [not everyone knew it was a family only party; it happens with a big group of people]. And despite sandwiches only being for the family members, Mark continued to make them for everyone, so that no one would feel left out (and inXile apologized to Mark about all the unexpected guests).

To make matters worse: someone ordered a pasta by mistake! No one at the party was suppose to get pasta [at least not yet], only sandwiches. But when the other party goers saw it, they also wanted a sandwich and a pasta!

Now inXile didn't want to stop people from ordering pasta [far from it; they also planned on trying to order in some pizza later]; they want everyone to have a good time. They love their family, are happy people are having fun and are glad of all the new friends they are making.

But all the pasta orders were unexpected. People who shouldn't be getting free sandwiches are also getting free pasta now. It was too much; inXile wants to be a good host but they can't continue to take advantage of Mark's hospitality. The poor guy makes his living on his restaurant and everyone is eating his food... Despite not wanting to be a downer, inXile had to put a stop to all the pasta orders. At least until they could talk with Mark and work something out with him.

Luckily Mark is a super cool guy and inXile was able to get sandwiches and pasta flowing right away. Even to the people who: really shouldn't have either, got angry with the poor delivery guy, wrote letters to their senators, started breaking dishes and were generally being unpleasant party guests (they probably just drank too much).

Putting on parties is hard! Especially large ones like this. But despite this little hiccup, hopefully everyone is having a good time. And inXile hopes everyone will show up at their next party as family. Mark will be catering BBQ (you really should check out his restaurant, his other dishes are amazing).
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » October 8th, 2014, 12:01 am

tonurics wrote:To make matters worse: someone ordered a pasta by mistake!

... all the pasta orders were unexpected. People who shouldn't be getting free sandwiches are also getting free pasta now....
Not matching comparisons, because we are talking about the difference between the lossy and lossless releases. It doesn't cost anything for the author to swap lossy with lossless when you are already getting one. In your example, sandwiches and pasta are different expenses which add up.

So while some do charge differently for lossy and lossless, there is no good reason to do it really. Same reason for example why I find it silly that video in different quality is being charged differently for (for example on disks).

Oleph
Initiate

Post by Oleph » October 8th, 2014, 5:41 am

There's a hundred thousand pasta chefs out there wondering why nobody wants to buy their spaghetti, Mark has gotten his secret sauce just right and sure I'll have some! Thanks Mark, you're the best, yum!

But then, as I'm digging into the delicious dish, a waiter comes in and without saying a word yanks my delicious pasta from my table. You do not mess with another man's pasta. Drunk or not, a fight will ensue.

eidolon
Initiate

Post by eidolon » October 8th, 2014, 11:30 am

sea wrote:After further discussing this internally and with Mark Morgan, we've all agreed to bring back the FLAC OST for GOG.com users. Enjoy!
Good to hear that. Thank you.