Introducing our new Community Manager

For all feedback on inXile's websites, company, forums and on pledges.
sear
Developer

Introducing our new Community Manager

Post by sear » April 18th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Hi everyone!

Today I would like to introduce you to a new member of the inXile team. Paul Marzagalli (phimseto) will be taking on our community management and public relations duties. His role is to represent inXile's vision for all our titles, while keeping the concerns and questions of the community at the forefront.

As a crowdfunding-driven developer, we always value open communication, and now with someone dedicated to the job we are reinforcing our commitment to that. Crowdfunding and creating games in this day and age is very much a two-way street, and we want to make sure we are keeping you advised of our games' progress, that your feedback is reaching us, and helping you tackle any questions that you might have. You'll be able to find him here on the forums, as well as Steam, social media, and elsewhere. He'll also be working on our Kickstarter updates to keep them coming out so you can get news as our games move forward in development and toward release.

Paul is a lifelong computer gamer going back to the 80s titles of Interplay, and is a fan of Bard's Tale and Wasteland. He has been deeply involved in the gaming scene for many years now, both online and offline, starting from the days of BBS and Usenet, and continuing today into events such as PAX. In addition to his work here at inXile, Paul is on the advisory board for a number of industry-related organizations and has also assisted with several crowdfunding campaigns. We would be hard pressed to find someone who has both the sensibilities and the background to represent our titles better, and though we've known him for a couple weeks, he already feels like an old friend.

Brother None (Thomas Beekers), Chris Keenan, myself, and other inXile team members will still stick around, no doubt, but you can expect Paul to ramp up and become a fixture of our community in the coming days and weeks. We hope you'll give him a warm welcome!

phimseto
Developer

Re: Introducing our new Community Manager

Post by phimseto » April 18th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Hey everyone, happy to be onboard! Even though I have been in the game industry since 2005, I have been an inXile fan since the company spun off from Interplay. We have a passionate, engaged community here, and as our crowdfunding has shown, we all share the same dedication to classic RPGs. As someone who is a proponent of these kinds of games and of crowdfunding as a viable funding model, it is good to be here in the vanguard of these efforts.

A special thanks right at the start to our moderators, too. Extra thanks on top of that to Sear and Brother None, who have been working countless hours on behalf of our fans, our backers, and the community at large. Without all of them, none of this would be possible.

Looking forward to chatting with you out there. For now, I'm curious and I hope you will indulge a question from me: what were the games that led you to become inXile fans? Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories". Would love to hear yours. For me, the road here started with The Bard's Tale in 1985. It was me, the game, some graph paper, a ruler, and a pencil versus Mangar! Pretty sure Mangar won, as I don't think I ever managed to beat the game! :-D

And in a random coincidence (and hopefully good omen)...today happens to be the five-year anniversary of when I signed up for the inXile forums!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 18th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Welcome phimseto ! :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 18th, 2017, 2:40 pm

phimseto wrote:
April 18th, 2017, 12:06 pm
Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories".
There's a couple key moments. One would be when my uncle bought my brother and I Curse of the Azure Bonds for the C64. He had heard good things about it and got it for us. It was amazing to actually play D&D. I'd longed to play D&D but didn't have a group, so that was a revelation and wonderful.

The other key moment was when I was at school and a classmate was flipping through the Wasteland cluebook. Based on the cover art alone, it went to the top of my Christmas list. I had no idea what it was about, but I knew I wanted it. That Christmas, I got Wasteland and my brother got Bard's Tale 3. After we both scrounged up a pile of blank discs to use (yay, C64), we proceeded to have our minds blown to pieces by Interplay. And our asses kicked by a pair of unforgiving games.

And then I later discovered things like the BT3 Doppleganger and the Wasteland super loot bag, but that's a different story.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 18th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Congratulations phimseto!
phimseto wrote:
: what were the games that led you to become inXile fans? Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories". Would love to hear yours.
Actually I bought the 2004 Bard's Tale spin-off —because it had full installers for BT1-3; before that I had only played Destiny Knight.

The BT spin-off was rather a bonus in the box [as I hadn't really heard of InXile before then]. I had fun playing that game as well, and still remember some of the songs.

Zadkiel
Novice

Post by Zadkiel » April 18th, 2017, 5:08 pm

Hi Paul, nice to meet you. I'm glad to hear we have a dedicated community manager now, as the lack of communication with us, the backers of this game, has been disappointing.

The snippets of information we've been drip-fed about design and mechanics are better than nothing, but I think I speak for many of us when I say that the main thing we're interested in is the actual progress, how close you are to the various stages of development, and in particular the kickstarter rewards for alpha/beta access.

I completely understand that you cannot commit to timescales for future goals, and why developers would be reluctant to give any definite dates, but perhaps you could give some rough guidelines? For example, is it likely we will see Alpha builds for backers that backed to the level of alpha access before the end of 2017?

Thanks!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » April 19th, 2017, 6:34 am

@ Zadkiel: Crowdfunding always makes info sharing a more difficult balancing act given that games are traditionally deep into production before the general public first hears of them. Once I am a little further along into my time here, I plan on soliciting forum and backer opinions on what the top things that folks would like to learn about the various games are and see what I can do about getting those answers for everyone.

@ Gizmo: I had the PS2 version of Bard's Tale, but I get what you mean. I had a "Bard's Tale Collection" that came out on CD-Rom at some point in the mid to late 90s, so I had those games to dabble in if I wanted.

@ Drool: The first time I played Wasteland, I was 13 and my night ended when I accidentally wiped out Highpool, the Red Ryder, and turned the valley into dust and ash. I remember sitting there at my Commodore slack-jawed and not knowing what the heck just hit me! :-D It was very much a classic "Welcome to Wasteland" moment.

Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus » April 19th, 2017, 8:32 am

1. Welcome
2. Good luck!
3. Your going to need it! :P

My "origins" are rather unexciting, randomly bought BT2 destiny night, loved the game so much got BT1 and played it to completion. Never could finish 2 cause I couldn’t figure out when to start using the arrows in the back of the manual (first step into maze? The door right outside?) A friend of mine got an amiga (lucky bastard) so offloaded his C64 games to me (including BT3) but I never got very far in playing it.

I’m pretty sure I got wasteland around release and played it over and over and over again well into the 90’s on my C128d.

When fallout 1 came out I instantly recognized Brain Fargos name and sent an email (mid to late 90’s?) to blackisle/interplay thanking them for the game and they actually replied and said they’d pass it along to Brian, that was kinda cool back then.

And as merlin said in the movie Excalibur: “And here we are…”

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 19th, 2017, 11:26 am

phimseto wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 6:34 am
The first time I played Wasteland, I was 13 and my night ended when I accidentally wiped out Highpool, the Red Ryder, and turned the valley into dust and ash. I remember sitting there at my Commodore slack-jawed and not knowing what the heck just hit me! :-D It was very much a classic "Welcome to Wasteland" moment.
I remember that too! And I remember being annoyed that the DOS version seemed to have gotten rid of that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 19th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Welcome Phimseto, and apologies in advance ;-)

InXile for me was Wasteland. It just felt right. The gameplay was dated when I played it, which was several years after release. I had spent my time playing the Goldbox titles on c64, so when I saw WL on PC, it was a bit of a step down in some ways. But the world dragged me in, it was interesting, adult (or moreso than before) it had consequences (I always felt sorry for the hotdog vendor). It was also fairly punishing at times.

Then came Fallout. I loved that game, because it was like WL but with a better interface. I did get pretty sick of the brown though.

I never played BT though I had friends who did.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » April 19th, 2017, 8:45 pm

phimseto wrote:
For now, I'm curious and I hope you will indulge a question from me: what were the games that led you to become inXile fans? Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories". Would love to hear yours. For me, the road here started with The Bard's Tale in 1985. It was me, the game, some graph paper, a ruler, and a pencil versus Mangar! Pretty sure Mangar won, as I don't think I ever managed to beat the game! :-D
Same for me. Bard's Tale on a 5.25 floppy on one of those old EA LP size flat packages. The tension of trying to escpae a dungone and THEN trying to get back to the guild was an adrenaline rush I can still almost feel emanate from memory.

Then there was Wasteland, which opened my eyes on just how big a world could be made with so little.

There is a certain elegance to the minimalism in those games that sadly, it must be accepted, would be hard to sell to today's crowd save the minority of gamers who would have no problem with going back to tile based travel (anyone remember krellen?). That minimalism was a factor of necessity and in fact were the cutting edge of game technology at the time, after all.

But yeah, when I look back on my days of PC gaming, it all started with Bard's Tale and Wasteland. And the SSI Goldbox games. And yes, Sierra adventure games. And Neuromancer. And Circuit's Edge. And a whole bunch of other games, including TradeWars 2002 for the BBS folks out there.

And that was just the 80s.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » April 19th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Welcome!

I'm not a huge Wasteland 2 (this game wasn't made for me and that's all I can say) or BT (never played any of the games) fan. But Torment was awesome, so I couldn't not give a shot to inXile's ambitions.

I'm pretty cool with Tides of Numenera even though I decided to wait until it gets more polished before voicing my final verdict. It's nicely done and takes best out of setting and game system I was hugely disappointed with when it came out.

Though, I must admit, doing Nostalgia projects will always be a gamble, both for potential backers/investors and artists. And there's no escape from that.
Last edited by Firkraag on April 23rd, 2017, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 19th, 2017, 11:06 pm

paultakeda wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 8:45 pm
(anyone remember krellen?).
Of course. ;)

__

I became a fan mostly with the advent of them announcing WL2, and later Torment;
(And because they later opened a studio about 14 blocks from my house. :lol: )

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 20th, 2017, 3:35 pm

paultakeda wrote:
April 19th, 2017, 8:45 pm
(anyone remember krellen?).
I kind of miss krellen.....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » April 21st, 2017, 6:50 am

Besides this thread making me think about TradeWars 2002 for the first time in decades, Firkraag said something that's worth noting: not a Wasteland fan, not a Bard's Tale fan, but all-in on Torment and wants it to be great. The great thing about the last few years is that we even have these choices to make.

Prior to the 2012 crowdfunding tipping point, it didn't matter if you were a Wasteland, BT, or Torment booster, you were equally out of luck. Brian's launch video for the Wasteland 2 campaign was satirical, harsh truth. The industry movers and shakers simply had no interest in making those games happen. Since then, it has been a pretty amazing time for classic RPG fans, adventure game fans, and a bunch of other genre gamers who favor retro style game play. The last few years have been my favorite years in gaming. I've been able to enjoy AAA/mainstream games more, because I know the games that I most like to play (and I'm lucky enough to be a WL/BT/Torment fan across the board) are out there getting made, too. Having the opportunity to help keep all those efforts moving forward was a big part of why I wanted to be on the team at inXile and in this community.

So, Firkraag, when you finally do crack open Torment to play (and at this point, I recommend waiting until the content update with Oom hits in the near future), I hope you have a blast with the game. And to everyone else, thanks again for the welcome! See you out on the forums and hopefully some conventions down the road!

Hawke64
Novice

Post by Hawke64 » April 21st, 2017, 7:26 am

phimseto wrote:
What were the games that led you to become inXile fans? Retro game fans tend to have some great "origin stories". Would love to hear yours. For me, the road here started with The Bard's Tale in 1985. It was me, the game, some graph paper, a ruler, and a pencil versus Mangar! Pretty sure Mangar won, as I don't think I ever managed to beat the game! :-D
Welcome, phimseto.
The first game from inXile I've played was Torment: Tides of Numenera. So, the origin story - I heard of it when I was writing about Kickstarter somewhere in 2013 (?) and purchased the game when it was released on Steam (Early Access). TToN certainly has its charm as well as some minor flaws.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » April 21st, 2017, 10:52 pm

phimseto wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 6:50 am
Besides this thread making me think about TradeWars 2002 for the first time in decades,
Oh wow - blast from the past. I played TW 2002 doors on multiple BBSes. Finding good port pairs in adjacent sectors and running back and forth. Sometimes running into the Ferrengi trying to steal your holds of cargo ("Greetings Hooman, ..."), visiting the Stardock, setting up citadels on planets. The alignment system - you could go evil (negative alignment) and rob ports, have bounties put on you, etc.... Lots of memories there. Sank way too much time into that game. First over a 2400 baud modem, then a 9600, and finally a 14.4K.

Also used to play quite a bit of Legend of the Red Dragon, Solar Realms Elite, and Barren Realms Elite. I also played some Operation Overkill, and, yes, I'll admit - Pimp Wars - as well. (Hey, I was a pre-teen or teenager and Pimp Wars was an "adult game", why wouldn't I play it? :twisted: )

Good times.

Oh, and welcome, phimseto.
cmibl<enter>

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » April 22nd, 2017, 8:23 am

Oh, god. Pimp Wars. I admit I dipped a toe in that sordid pool, but aside from the themes of sex and drugs it really didn't have much of anything else.

By the way, both remain playable. Load up PuTTY or whatever you've got for a telnet client and login to any of these places: http://wiki.classictw.com/index.php?title=Jumpgate. I'll leave Google to help you look for PW.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » April 22nd, 2017, 10:07 am

Yeah, I didn't say I was an avid player of Pimp Wars. Was just mentioning it because it is one of the more memorable/recognizable BBS games of yore. Clearly you remembered it. ;)

And, yeah, I've used telnet gateways to reach various "online" BBSes before, but thanks though.
cmibl<enter>

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 22nd, 2017, 8:28 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
April 21st, 2017, 10:52 pm
Also used to play quite a bit of Legend of the Red Dragon, Solar Realms Elite, and Barren Realms Elite. I also played some Operation Overkill, and, yes, I'll admit - Pimp Wars - as well. (Hey, I was a pre-teen or teenager and Pimp Wars was an "adult game", why wouldn't I play it? :twisted: )
I was always a fan of Usurper...
Alwa nasci korliri das.