Update 57: Deep Breath…OK, Now Work Continues On

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 57: Deep Breath…OK, Now Work Continues On

Post by Brother None » October 1st, 2014, 12:20 pm

Our first post-release update celebrates our successes and speaks to what's next!\
Wow! We've been extremely humbled and electrified at the feedback coming in during Wasteland 2's first week as an officially released game! We love seeing you discover all the little touches and intricacies of the game. We have been very happy to see people engrossed by the game we made with your help, and the high praise directed at it! So, mission accomplished, time to wrap this baby up!

I kid..I kid. We started working on our first patch even before the game was out, and released it last Friday. You can find the 9 pages of patch notes over on our tumblr.

Many fixes were to issues we were aware of but we've also been keeping an eye on your feedback, and tweaking the game experience based on the masses of information flowing across the various discussion boards on the web. One example of this was reducing the jam rates for guns that most frequently caused problems. Our design team is busy cleaning up issues in the various levels and will continue to do so. We are also hard at work fixing memory-related issues to reduce crashes on 32-bit machines.

The game launched with some problems in localizations causing keywords to be entirely missing which could lock you into dialogs. With the latest patch these bugs should be resolved, we will continue to catch any straggling bugs and to polish, edit and improve the localized versions in the future. We fully intend to continue supporting and updating this game, while we are also starting on the development of our modding tools.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Gotcha
Scholar

Re: Update 57: Deep Breath…OK, Now Work Continues On

Post by Gotcha » October 1st, 2014, 12:27 pm

I hope people also notice the not so high praise. There's some really good feedback on this forum. >_>
Thanks for the update though. I hope that at least the bugs will be gone soon. Can't wait to do a proper non-headache playthrough.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » October 1st, 2014, 1:18 pm

Gotcha wrote:I hope people also notice the not so high praise. There's some really good feedback on this forum.
Of course. I think by now people can attest we pay close attention to all feedback, and the update includes a link to these forums for a reason, these have been extremely useful reads in identifying problems and points of focus.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 1st, 2014, 1:44 pm

Am I correct in assuming from the update that the CE will take four weeks to ship?

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » October 1st, 2014, 2:04 pm

oh man, i'm feeling bad for the backers. here in germany the publishing was handeled down by deep silver to Koch media, a tabloid publisher, that also does (usually bargain bin) PC games. on release day, they managed to stock up all retailers with 30 € regular and 40 € editions with additional goodies (printed manual, poster, map and collectible cards as well as soundtrack).
so it seems the retail versions are doing fine here. i'l keep my fingers crossed that you, who helped finance this game will get your special editions soon.

and keep it up inXile. The game is great, if you can accept it's shotcomings. it's a love/hate relationship currently, a flawed gem, and i guess the wide spread in review scores reflects that. but if i read that first sentence of your quote right, you know that well :-D
Last edited by Gruftlord on October 1st, 2014, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » October 1st, 2014, 2:04 pm

Brother None wrote:Of course. I think by now people can attest we pay close attention to all feedback, and the update includes a link to these forums for a reason, these have been extremely useful reads in identifying problems and points of focus.
Really good to hear. Thanks. :) *somewhat relieved*

sbock
Novice

Post by sbock » October 1st, 2014, 2:16 pm

I'm very disappointed with the Deep Sliver delay. A collaboration I never trusted from the beginning... If you want a thing done well, do it yourself.
On all other things: Good job inXile!
"You guys are my new boss after all" - Brian Fargo

CD-ROM
Initiate

Post by CD-ROM » October 1st, 2014, 2:16 pm

Are late backers for big boxed ($60) copies considered a part of the first batch of boxes that ship out in the 3rd week of October?

I hope you guys use a better distributor for Torment. How about Interplay? :lol:

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » October 1st, 2014, 2:34 pm

I backed for a CE on day one of the Kickstarter and I have to admit I'm troubled and disappointed in the way Deep Silver is handling the physical goods. I'm also very disappointed in the fact we get no tracking numbers. Nothing for nothing, the physical stuff should've been nailed down and shipped before the games release.

I asked before but was ignored so I'll ask again. If our physical goods get lost/don't show up because we have absolutely no way to know when or even if they were shipped are we SOL?
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » October 1st, 2014, 2:49 pm

Count me as another very disappointed backer. You (InXile) have, unfortunately dropped the ball on this one. No tracking number?! Many people pledged hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars and Deep Silver won't spend a few cents on tracking? I can see this quickly becoming a PR nightmare for you guys. You will only make it worse by not responding to people's concerns. I hope you take a more active approach to monitoring Deep Silver when T:ToN gets closer to release as well as trying to assuage current concerns.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 1st, 2014, 2:53 pm

The Tallest wrote:I asked before but was ignored so I'll ask again. If our physical goods get lost/don't show up because we have absolutely no way to know when or even if they were shipped are we SOL?
This will very likely happen for me if I'm not there by chance when it eventually turns up; there is no place to put it except on the street. :(
(I doubt that Deep Silver is requesting signed deliveries.)

YankeeBravo
Initiate

Post by YankeeBravo » October 1st, 2014, 3:01 pm

Gizmo wrote:Am I correct in assuming from the update that the CE will take four weeks to ship?
No.

The update doesn't give a time frame for the collector's editions, just that the $50 boxed version will ship around the 3rd week of the month.

Since Deep Silver is trying to be as cheap as possible down to skimming fractions of cents and given the additional materials required for the collector's edition (which I hope Deep Silver had no hand in the production/sourcing of), I wouldn't expect it this month.

Maybe next month, though I'm not holding my breath.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 1st, 2014, 3:12 pm

YankeeBravo wrote:
Gizmo wrote:Am I correct in assuming from the update that the CE will take four weeks to ship?
No.

The update doesn't give a time frame for the collector's editions, just that the $50 boxed version will ship around the 3rd week of the month.
Minimum; four week minimum. ;)

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » October 1st, 2014, 3:37 pm

Having a great time with the game but stopping by to voice my displeasure with the way the physical goods were handled. For months I (and others) had been posting asking about shipping details and about tracking and insurance. Instead of handling this in advance, it was clearly left to the last minute and just shoveled off to another company (a company with a bad track record, btw) - and now I'm regretting paying so much just to be treated like a third-class citizen. What if something is lost or damaged that is irreplaceable, like the signed Collector's Edition? I doubt you'll be able to get the team together for a second signing.

For months people have asked and for months the mods have said "We just don't know. We'd tell you if we did." Well, this is something that should have been 'known'. Please don't use Deep Silver for Torment. Super lame.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 1st, 2014, 4:02 pm

The physical stuff was never a major issue for me. So I really don't care when I get it. But I have to say I hope someone is reaming Deep Silver a new one. I also hope InXile are learning from this process.

I would in future be tightening my SLA's around this, ensuring that the forecasts they no doubt gave are correct and if not then build in fail to meet penalties for Deep Silver. This sort of stuff affects PR negatively and if the cause is Deep Silver or any other company you are using, they need to be held to task for the issues.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » October 1st, 2014, 5:50 pm

In germany etc. you can buy a physical copy for 30€, on steam the same costs 40€, go figure.. wondering if inxile is happy with this situation.. dont think so..

..deep silver doesnt make any more money with the backers copies. They are already paid, no difference if they would have sent it two weeks ago or if they send it in 2 months.. they care for the copies they can make money with now. so backers items are last priority for them, and thats how they treat them.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 1st, 2014, 6:22 pm

Tets wrote:In germany etc. you can buy a physical copy for 30€, on steam the same costs 40€, go figure.. wondering if inxile is happy with this situation.. dont think so..

..deep silver doesnt make any more money with the backers copies. They are already paid, no difference if they would have sent it two weeks ago or if they send it in 2 months.. they care for the copies they can make money with now. so backers items are last priority for them, and thats how they treat them.
That's why you have contracts or SLAs (Service Level Agreements) in place to define what is provided. Then if the outsourced provider fails to meet an SLA there will be agreed upon penalties. These provide the incentive for the outsourcer to do it right.

That doesn't mean everything would have been covered. Something like the tracking numbers would have had to have been specifically agreed upon in advance. I would suggest strongly that they add those sort of things in the negotiations. Deep Silver should really have suggested it as the "expert" but from experience and as you mention the outsourcer doesn't really care providing they get paid.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 1st, 2014, 8:00 pm

Yeah, I'm not particularly thrilled with Deep Silver here.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Lexx
Scholar

Post by Lexx » October 1st, 2014, 8:38 pm

I dunno if anyone else would have made it much different. Obviously Deep Silver tries to save as much money as possible on it (who knows how much money they will make with it anyway). It's probably what anyone would have done. It sucks that it takes so long, but at least we got the digital keys already.

blinkicide
Acolyte

Post by blinkicide » October 1st, 2014, 9:03 pm

Can you advise any sort of time frame for the next patch, i.e. when the AI long range movement bug you recently identified will be addressed.