Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Post Reply
User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5136
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Crosmando » December 6th, 2014, 3:28 am

Also a million times more complex and difficult to pull off than a dungeon-crawler, as far as I know every video game that's dealt with time-travel has been more or less linear, and there's probably a reason for that.

EDIT: Also, there's like a serious lack of good old honest first-person dungeon crawler RPGs out there, the iso/overhead perspective and story-driven approach has taken over. Sometimes you just want to roll a Bard, a Magician, a Rogue and some Warriors and kill shit.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9836
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Drool » December 6th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Crosmando wrote:Also, there's like a serious lack of good old honest first-person dungeon crawler RPGs out there
Off the top of my head, all I can think of in the last 5 or so years is M&MX, Grimrock, and Malevolence. Oh, and Devil Whiskey. And Malevolence is a single-character game, not a party.
Crosmando wrote:Pleeeeeeeease no. BT04 was a funny game and it's writing was hilarious (as was that British guy who did the narration who's name escapes me), it poked fun at the genre very well.
Cary Elwes. Probably best known for The Princess Bride, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and... Saw? Anyway, yes, he's fantastic. BT04 was a lot of fun (and I love the songs), but they scratched that itch. I want to go back to the world(s) of 1-3.

And I know I keep going on about 3, but I would love to have a game or games set in the other dimensions before Tarjan screwed everyone over. Seeing Gelidia before the ice spell froze the world. Lucencia before Alliria's torture and Cyanis's madness. Kinestia before Ferofist violated divine law and doomed his people. Tenebrosia before Scaedu's betrayal. For a dungeon crawler that was 99% fetch quest, there was a lot of story jammed into that game, which provides a lot of fodder for subsequent games.

The year I got Wasteland for Christmas, my brother got Bard's Tale 3. Those were the games I cut my RPG teeth on, so they both hold a special place in my heart. Even with a small amount of fantasy burnout, I would play the hell out of a new Bard's Tale game. A real Bard's Tale game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 6th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Ha. Everything is proceeding as I have forseen :twisted:
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5136
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Crosmando » December 6th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Drool wrote: Off the top of my head, all I can think of in the last 5 or so years is M&MX, Grimrock, and Malevolence. Oh, and Devil Whiskey. And Malevolence is a single-character game, not a party.
Well.... MMX yes definitely, but Grimrock is a Dungeon Master clone - it's combat is closer to a pure action game than a cRPG, Malevolence is single-character as you mention and more like a roguelike, it's also not actually a finished game and probably won't be for a while. Devil Whiskey is 11 years old now, so not exactly new.

But yeah I'd agree that MMX and Devil Whiskey (also Wizardry 8) are games InXile's team would need to have a look at if they were going to do a BT game, just for looking at how turn-based "blobbers" can be done with modern graphics and all the rest.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
Dragoon
Acolyte
Posts: 73
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 7:48 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Dragoon » December 6th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I would love a sequel to Dragon Wars. Was for me my favorite "Bard's Tale" game.
"You know what must really suck? Being a Nigerian official trying to send legitimate e-mail."

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9836
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Drool » December 7th, 2014, 4:55 am

Crosmando wrote:Well.... MMX yes definitely, but Grimrock is a Dungeon Master clone - it's combat is closer to a pure action game than a cRPG, Malevolence is single-character as you mention and more like a roguelike, it's also not actually a finished game and probably won't be for a while. Devil Whiskey is 11 years old now, so not exactly new.
True. Grimrock's much more Eye of the Beholder than Bard's Tale. Also, I hadn't realized DW is that old. Cripes, that means we've got really slim pickings.
But yeah I'd agree that MMX and Devil Whiskey (also Wizardry 8)
Look to Wizardry 8, yes, but its combat was... weird. Especially since I think you could go real time with it. Either way, it felt strange to me, and not just because of the kind of fussy formation system.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ShaneD53
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 5:16 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by ShaneD53 » December 7th, 2014, 6:31 am

Image

Welp. Roxy Friday is owned by Brian Fargo too by the way.
And here is Brian's statement on the matter as well:https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/5 ... 7198112768

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 7th, 2014, 7:54 am

Whoa, megaton.

I hope it is Meantime. Probably only project they can come up with that I will backup in a heartbeat without any reservations.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

ShaneD53
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 5:16 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by ShaneD53 » December 7th, 2014, 9:13 am

Image

...THAT is a hell of a twist right there.

User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Lucius » December 7th, 2014, 11:36 am

That Van Buren filing was a month before the Meantime filing. I have no idea what they would do with that. Make a spiritual successor to Fallout called Van Buren? Considering Wasteland, that just seems, odd. My guess is Meantime is there next game. They probably grabbed the Van Buren trademark because they could and I bet they couldn't figure out what to do with it exactly.

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 7th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Van Buren game in collaboration with Obsidian?

Still, it would be quite bizzare for them to start two franchises that would be essentially competing with each other, and I figure Mr. Fargo didn't stay in business for 30 years without knowing the industry better then that.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5136
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Crosmando » December 7th, 2014, 7:26 pm

Obviously it's an RPG where the Cochise develops a time-machine and sends Synths looking like humans into the past to kill the Engineers so the Rangers are never formed :lol:
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5136
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Crosmando » December 7th, 2014, 10:04 pm

IHaveHugeNick wrote:Van Buren game in collaboration with Obsidian?

Still, it would be quite bizzare for them to start two franchises that would be essentially competing with each other, and I figure Mr. Fargo didn't stay in business for 30 years without knowing the industry better then that.
He probably trademarked Van Buren just because he could, their would be no point because Bethesda owns all the original design docs and assets for Interplay's Fallout 3 and they'd almost never let anyone use that stuff, with their own Fallout 4 on the way and all.

And even if they somehow did, New Vegas itself was heavily inspired by Van Buren's design docs. There's even an indie project to make Van Buren (you've probably seen the guy posting about it on these boards). No point really, so I think Meantime is more likely.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by -Archangel- » December 8th, 2014, 12:00 am

Crosmando wrote:Obviously it's an RPG where the Cochise develops a time-machine and sends Synths looking like humans into the past to kill the Engineers so the Rangers are never formed :lol:
And the player character is sent after them to stop their plan and help the Engineers :)
During that time your character has sex with a local woman that later gives birth to General Vargas :D

BTW, check out Paper Sorcerer if you want more MMX style games from year 2014.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9836
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Drool » December 8th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Lucius wrote:That Van Buren filing was a month before the Meantime filing. I have no idea what they would do with that.
Use it as jingling keys so they can develop a game without insane Fallout fanboys trying to turn it into Van Buren. "Look, we own Van Buren! We'll do something with that, promise!"
Alwa nasci korliri das.

DarkNacht
Initiate
Posts: 8
Joined: March 15th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by DarkNacht » December 10th, 2014, 1:54 am

Fallout and Wasteland have very different styles. Van Buren could be a place where they could put their more off the wall Fallout style ideas with Meantime following in the more grounded Wasteland line.

User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Lucius » December 10th, 2014, 9:26 am

DarkNacht wrote:Fallout and Wasteland have very different styles. Van Buren could be a place where they could put their more off the wall Fallout style ideas with Meantime following in the more grounded Wasteland line.
Even with different styles, it's odd for a developer to have multiple franchises with similar themes; in this case, post apocalyptic.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by -Archangel- » December 10th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Lucius wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:Fallout and Wasteland have very different styles. Van Buren could be a place where they could put their more off the wall Fallout style ideas with Meantime following in the more grounded Wasteland line.
Even with different styles, it's odd for a developer to have multiple franchises with similar themes; in this case, post apocalyptic.
Really? So it was strange that Interplay had Baldur's Gate and Icewind dale at same time?

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 10th, 2014, 3:17 pm

Interplay was a major publisher not indie studio working with skeleton staff based on money received from fan funding.

Not to mention they kinda went tits up shortly after, which should tell you all about how expertly they conducted their business.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5869
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Woolfe » December 10th, 2014, 6:12 pm

-Archangel- wrote:
Lucius wrote:
DarkNacht wrote:Fallout and Wasteland have very different styles. Van Buren could be a place where they could put their more off the wall Fallout style ideas with Meantime following in the more grounded Wasteland line.
Even with different styles, it's odd for a developer to have multiple franchises with similar themes; in this case, post apocalyptic.
Really? So it was strange that Interplay had Baldur's Gate and Icewind dale at same time?
Not really.. They are the same world(Forgotten Realms), same baseline history etc, really just 2 different adventures occurring in different places. They used the Same engine, the same underlying world rules etc. So its purely the local story that is different, and they could be tied in with the overarching FR universe.

As opposed to say Fallout and Wasteland, that have very different universes, and different rules, different engines etc.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests