Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Woolfe » November 6th, 2012, 4:50 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/p ... e-fiction/

On the whole Thwacke Consulting thing.

Interview on Ars.

This bit was interesting for 2 reasons.
Ars_Article wrote:One of the best examples of how Wasteland 2 will be intertwining real world science and imaginative fantasy probably comes through in enemy design. Alvarado recalls that the InXile team needed some believable enemies for a waterlogged area that had been ruined by a natural disaster. "We wanted to explore what kind of animals would survive in water and out of water, what animals do we know that live in a tidal zone and that could survive, things like that," he said.

The scientists found the humble hermit crab was a likely candidate for post-nuclear survival, thanks to its ability to absorb radiation in its shell and then discard it during a molting cycle. That's the academically valid, scientific part. But since this is still a video game, they wanted to make sure it was a little "off the wall" as Alvarado put it.

"We used radiation as a very simple gaming mechanism to argue that it makes animals super large, because everyone knows radiation makes things super-large... we'll just take that one as a granted," he said, laughing. "So let's let these hermit crabs get [so big] they can't find housing in their conventional shell and they'll actually seek housing in a bus or a telephone booth or something like that."

"So the whole idea is that they'll hide in parts of the environment and they'd actually have this stealth ability, in the fact that they wouldn't actually be seen by the player," Alvarado continued. "It kind of works with a bit of biology, it works a bit with what Wasteland is after ... it fits into this world that Wasteland has with bizarre and fun off-the-wall type humor and everything."
So there is going to be a watelogged area, and its likely going to have giant hermit crabs as one of the monsters.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » November 6th, 2012, 11:30 pm

And afterwards, crab bake! I'd love to see giant crab chitin armor and weapons being equipped by the locals.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » November 7th, 2012, 8:36 am

The first time i heard the genetics memory in AC i didnt believe it, how could someone insult the science in the name of such a stupid idea??, you know if they said that it was just magic it would hurt less, use science as a patch to make pure fantasy believable is a no no.
In the other hand Mass Effect II is a good example of how to create believable non-stupid lore, i read everything the game could gave me and it was beautiful, yet it doesnt have to be realistic to feel like that.
In the end i can eat with no problem a world as odd an obtuse as Wasteland, the key to this is that everybody in the world (the NPCs and you) take it as if it were real and serious, even if the world itself is nuts.
Also Fantasy worlds are almost preprogrammed in our mind to wish they were real, we just need to take it seriously, so i dont see why would someone make a scientific aproach to TES or soemthing like that, because it has its own reality plain and it works within it.

Still as they say sometimes reality is stranger than fiction, the problem (and beautiful fact to me) is that some real things are REALLY unvelievable :D
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » November 8th, 2012, 1:25 am

There has never ever been a game or a story that is completely un-realistic. NEVER.

All games, all stories, all fiction of this kind, have an underlying foundations of reality. The "fantastic" part is added on top of that.
In Science Fiction - what we know about reality and technology advancements is used to make things more plausible, believable and internally consistent. To make the proposed setting and the story internally coherent.
Its one of the tools Science Fiction uses to get to its real goal - and that is - to explore possibilities.

NOT TO ACTUALLY EXPLAIN THESE FANTASTIC ELEMENTS.

You cant actually explain FTL drive, for example - so nobody is even bloody trying!
What you can do - is explore what this kind of capability would do to a human race or an individual. And you can do that in accordance with what we DO KNOW about laws of the universe. - i.e. science.

For example Ursuall K Leguin stories about Hain "empire" are based on having an FTL capable ships - but with realistic angle of still having time dilation as a consequence - which means that when you travel to a distant star that takes a relatively short time to you - hundreds of years pass back on your home planet.
Therefore - each travel an individual takes - is an enormous personal sacrifice. And that is an integral part of the whole setting and every story in it.

Or - you can try and create a walk around to sidestep these restrictions - so that leads you into speculating about worm holes, hyperspace travel and similar "technologies and science" that so far haven't been completely ruled out.
But even so - you must make it internally consistent, logical - believable - i.e. realistic by having some kind of limitation to it, some kind of price or some kind of a consequence - which is REALISTIC!

When you use science in the fiction of this kind - you dont use it to turn the fiction into everyday reality.
Reality itself IS NOT our everyday reality, dammit!
Our "everyday reality", which i suppose means "living a boring life, working at a bad job and trying not to look people in the eye in communal transport" for most of those that support such "view" in discussions about this, is just a part of the bigger reality we all exist in.

FURTHERMORE all ideas, all concepts, all monsters, all creatures, gods, animals, powers, capabilities...every single thing you can find in any fantastical literature or myths - are all directly inspired and influenced by reality.

----

As for crabs... i wonder will the fact they shed radiation by storing it in their shells - which they then discard, will be used in the game in any way. Maybe they can use their shells as thrown weapon-ammo of some kind? Throw it at people? Maybe they tend to deposit those on specific places? Use it as defense or to mark their territory?
Can some other animal use this behavior of crabs... can there be a symbiont relationship of some kind there?

Can humans use these crabs to clear radiation from an area?
(and then have a problem with getting the crabs to move away - which rangers will have to deal with as a classic pest control quest?)

Realism people!
-edit-
Last edited by Hiver on November 10th, 2012, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » November 9th, 2012, 7:06 am

Hiver wrote:There has never ever been a game or a story that is completely un-realistic. NEVER.
the bible is completely unrealistic.

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » November 9th, 2012, 9:57 am

Is bible a game?

Do you not have the capacity to answer the actual question? (rhetorical question... i assure you)
I guess you dont.

Besides, the foundation of bible is realistic. Main characters are people, they display all ranges of human emotions, behavior and thinking. They react to events described with all range of realistic actual human responses and act on human recognizable motivations. (many are decidedly wrong - which either holds the moral of the story or is a part of it - which are all real concepts)
It happens largely on our world, in all sorts of realistic locations, many known from recorded history, with realistic day and night cycle, the moon, the sun, the weather, and it has a notion of god - which was with humanity since we started forming thoughts.
Religion in general is present in all nations, all continents, all people - as far back as we can see.

I mean... just to name a few basic facts from it - that are not at all dependent on believing in it or not.

GoBliNuke
Initiate

Post by GoBliNuke » November 10th, 2012, 1:08 am

Hiver wrote:Is bible a game?
It is a story:
Hiver wrote:There has never ever been a game or a story that is completely un-realistic.
Brotherhood of Steel Network Russia: http://bos.net.ru/

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 12th, 2012, 6:25 pm

For a lack of a better place to put these from Twitter:

A partial of the design docs for WL2:

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/2 ... 68/photo/1

Chris Avellone presenting one of the WL2 maps. It looks like a football field at a distance!

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/2 ... 70/photo/1
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » November 12th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Ronin73 wrote:For a lack of a better place to put these from Twitter:

A partial of the design docs for WL2:

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/2 ... 68/photo/1

Chris Avellone presenting one of the WL2 maps. It looks like a football field at a distance!

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/2 ... 70/photo/1
On the design doc, WOW. That's quite a bit of reading (and writing for that matter). Seems like they have PLENTY of material to work with.

Now, as to the maps, I wonder if they have the Rose Bowl stadium (in Pasadena, well within the neighborhood of LA) surviving the war and becoming home to new types of 'games'... :?:
25 years and it's finally here...

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » November 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Hiver wrote: All games, all stories, all fiction of this kind, have an underlying foundations of reality. The "fantastic" part is added on top of that.
NOOOOOO!! It is:
All games, all stories, all fiction of this kind, have an underlying foundations of FANTASY. The "realistic" part is added on top of that. (like the tiny top of an iceberg)
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Son of Max wrote:On the design doc, WOW. That's quite a bit of reading (and writing for that matter). Seems like they have PLENTY of material to work with.
Well, not just design doc. From the Facebook description:

"We spent the day with the writers reviewing the detailed story and dialogue options in Wasteland 2."

So, if that's all the dialogue options and trees, that explains the length.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 13th, 2012, 5:41 am

Not all of it. Its only partial. ;)
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 13th, 2012, 6:04 pm

One of the writers for WL2, Colin McComb presents his map ideas. Looks like the alien invasion from the fake paragraphs might really happen :P

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/2 ... 00/photo/1
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 14th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Ronin73 wrote:Looks like the alien invasion from the fake paragraphs might really happen
Just a little joke. This, however:

"One of the real world places that the Desert Rangers will be exploring will be the Titan Missile base in Arizona. The Rangers will have their hands full with the folks in charge of this place."
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » November 15th, 2012, 4:24 am

Drool wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:Looks like the alien invasion from the fake paragraphs might really happen
Just a little joke. This, however:

"One of the real world places that the Desert Rangers will be exploring will be the Titan Missile base in Arizona. The Rangers will have their hands full with the folks in charge of this place."
That...sounds quite interesting, to say the least.

Depending on when the folks in charge of the place established ownership of such a complex (all of the Titan missiles had been decommissioned by the 70's) you could be looking at anything from a rising power that owes it's increasing power and prominence in the wasteland to their virtually impenetrable fortress or, quite possibly a long standing and QUITE powerful group that has been surviving and building up their power from their impenetrable fortress since at least the earliest days of the Desert Rangers.

I really like this concept. 8-)
25 years and it's finally here...

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 15th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Hell, I'm just loving how big it'll be.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » November 15th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I asked Brian via twitter if the kickstarter NPC's would be recruitable, he said a handful would be.
Just thought you guys might like to know that.
Mostly harmless.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 16th, 2012, 4:15 am

This is going to be a game that has actual... real replayability value(for several playthroughs)... it´s going to be Ep1c! :twisted:
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 16th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Drool wrote:Hell, I'm just loving how big it'll be.
Indeed.

Forgive my lack of American geography skills, but roughly where on the Wasteland map would the Titan Missile Base be, relative to the other original locations?

I certainly wasn't expecting to be exploring many new areas, as far as the original map was concerned, so that is actually a surprise to me.

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 16th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Seems there's a lot of them. The nearest Titan 1 would be in Beale Air Force Base, which is about 500 miles NW of Las Vegas. There was a Titan 2 base in Tucson, Arizona, though, so that's probably the one he means. Tucson's about 400 miles SE of Las Vegas.

There's also the Vandenberg AFB which is about 400 miles west-southwest of Las Vegas. It's just about 60 miles to the northwest of Santa Barbara.
Alwa nasci korliri das.