Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Crosmando » October 29th, 2014, 4:10 am

They're also making a "Story Mode" where your characters are invulnerable, integrated cheats ftw :roll:
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 29th, 2014, 4:12 am

Crosmando wrote: :roll:
I very nearly took you seriously.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » October 29th, 2014, 5:23 am

Ei Carumba wrote:I very nearly took you seriously.
This is serious. The "Story mode" will make all the fights really easy (don’t know if your characters will acually be invulnerable), for those wanting to focus on the story and the roleplay.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 29th, 2014, 6:38 am

I'll just leave a 'lol' lying around.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » October 29th, 2014, 7:19 am

Crosmando wrote:They're also making a "Story Mode" where your characters are invulnerable, integrated cheats ftw :roll:
So? It it not ON by default.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » November 19th, 2014, 3:54 pm

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9686
High praise come from the people from rpgcodex :)

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » November 19th, 2014, 5:27 pm

-Archangel- wrote:http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9686
good review. :)

is support all critical points (except quest design, didnt played the whole game, still waiting for more patches :D):

Attributes should be linked to skills
Fix the random loot system
More speech skill checks

Dragoon
Acolyte

Post by Dragoon » November 21st, 2014, 12:41 am

Tets wrote:
-Archangel- wrote:http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9686
good review. :)

is support all critical points (except quest design, didnt played the whole game, still waiting for more patches :D):

Attributes should be linked to skills
Fix the random loot system
More speech skill checks
It missed the correlations for AP from Speed, Strength and Intelligence by ignoring Intelligence. ;)
The correct formula is (SP+ST+IN) / 4 = AP (rounded down)

But it's very well written. Such a good and funny text, I would recommend to read it even if you don't care the slightest about Wasteland 2.

This part made me giggle.
Dialogues & Writing

The writing ranges from good to great, although the 12 year old responsible for ‘You suck!’ (the dying curse of a certain monk in a certain scenario) should be crucified in front of inXile's office to ward off evil spirits and similarly ‘creative’ writing enthusiasts seeking employment. Overall, it’s definitely a breath of fresh air.
:mrgreen:
"You know what must really suck? Being a Nigerian official trying to send legitimate e-mail."

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2014, 1:21 am

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 5th, 2014, 8:41 am

I hope they know what they are doing if its Bard. The fanbase is split 50-50 between prefering the 80s versions and the 2004 version, the backer forums are going to be a nightmare with about half of people ending up unavoidably pissed off about which directions to take.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Andross
Acolyte

Post by Andross » December 5th, 2014, 8:59 am

An humorous first person blobber seems like the right thing to do, but inXile should hire some combat designers before to make sure they deliver a good experience in a combat-centric RPG (which I'd say it should be the biggest concern at inXile right now).

Still, they have some modern dungeon crawlers to learn from like the Grimoire superdemo or Legend of Grimrock II.

Personally, I want inXile to make Meantime since they have more experience with isometrical RPGs.

Vault_13
Scholar

Post by Vault_13 » December 5th, 2014, 11:21 am

I would love the continuation of the more recent Bards Tale. It was pure gold. Never played the old ones on the other hand, might be interesting to check out what they were all about in new shiny modern manner. Would be more glad to back the first variant though.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 5th, 2014, 11:55 am

I put about 10 hours into the new version. It was good, fun, and funny but never grabbed me. I never finished it.

I played the older Bards Tales some, but never got very far. I didn't get it, it was too difficult without a walkthrough. I felt I was constantly going in circles. I liked the atmosphere at the time.

Now, I'm not heavily invested in the franchise. The concept of the originals seems ok but felt like Tolkien fantasy which is *yawn* today.

Would I back a Bards Tale IV kickstarter? InXile would have a hard sell with me. They would need to prove that I should be interested in a sequel to a game I never had a ton of interest in. They would also need to prove they have overcome the failings of Wasteland 2. (Not talking bugs but some of the questionable design choices.)

Dragoon
Acolyte

Post by Dragoon » December 5th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Lucius wrote: I played the older Bards Tales some, but never got very far. I didn't get it, it was too difficult without a walkthrough. I felt I was constantly going in circles. I liked the atmosphere at the time.
You likely did. The old Bard's Tales, especially 1 & 2, where extremely "old school". They had darkness areas, spinning and anti magic fields. Those 3 combined in an area made exploring a dungeon quickly frustrating to play. Even 26 years later I shiver in horror thinking about it, and my memories are surprisingly vivid about that.
Because of the darkness you had no visual clues when drawing your map on paper, except for bumping into walls . Anti magic fields would disable your conjured magic compass, and with that deprive you of the information you just stepped onto a spinning field ,turning you 90 or 180 degrees around. Only noticing after seeing your drawn map not longer made sense. Time to put the eraser to use and start over. :cry:
"You know what must really suck? Being a Nigerian official trying to send legitimate e-mail."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 5th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Dragoon wrote:You likely did. The old Bard's Tales, especially 1 & 2, where extremely "old school". They had darkness areas, spinning and anti magic fields.
At least 3 had the nospin ring. Possibly the most important item in the game.
Vault_13 wrote:I would love the continuation of the more recent Bards Tale. It was pure gold. Never played the old ones on the other hand, might be interesting to check out what they were all about in new shiny modern manner. Would be more glad to back the first variant though.
The new one was a nice deconstruction of the genre, but I don't think a continuation is really possible, and really not possible with on 2/3rds of the endings.

Also, I thought the world building of the original trilogy was really good, and I loved how they expanded the cosmology in 3. Honestly, you could set several games in each of the dimensions that 3 visited, to say nothing of the tragic ends they all suffered. Some of them were just heart breaking. That was some damn fine writing. I would love to see what happened after Tarjan is killed and the player characters ascend.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2014, 7:14 pm

I think BT4 would be an easy sell - a very challenging/difficult dungeon-crawler but with all the modern conveniences like automap and an intuitive interface, so basically for people who want the same experience as the old games but with modern graphics and interface. I'm sure there's many people who simply never played the old BT games because of their age and how difficult they were to get into.

I think atmosphere would be very important, environment sound effects, creepy music for dungeons, a constant sense of danger and foreboding. Atmosphere is very important in first-person games. And for a game where your constantly fighting encounters with monsters and thugs around every corner it would be even more important.

When you consider that InXile's first two games will be overhead perspective and mostly story-driven, going for a first-person dungeon crawler would be a nice change and allow the team to keep trying new types of cRPG.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » December 5th, 2014, 7:41 pm

..the only game brian fargo regulary spoke about in the last months was bards tale, and they have at least some rights for the franchise .. so i quess its probably this game?

i played might & magic etc. back in the days... but i honestly neither like fantasy nor dungeon crawlers very much today. If you like this maybe you also like skyrim? ^^ Also doesnt like real time with pause very much, like Baldurs Gate or many modern action rpgs. Didnt backed PoE because of this. I would prefer a time travel rpg with turn based combat :D

If its not time travel... i would be more interessted in a funny bards tale rpg rather then a serious one. Fantasy is clearly the best genre to mock rpg conventions - which are also often fantasy conventions.

One thought about first person perspective: This would mean they would need to do many things from scratch. I would prefer they create good developement kits for turn based isometric rpgs and a good rpg system. So they can focus on tweaking the system and creating good stories and worlds most of the time, instead of hassling with the game engine.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 5th, 2014, 8:40 pm

It'll either be Bard's Tale or Meantime (time-travel RPG).

No idea what that RPS guy is talking about with Beamdog and BG3, it's almost certainly not that (and Obsidian with PoE already have that base covered).

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 6th, 2014, 2:06 am

Andross wrote:An humorous first person blobber seems like the right thing to do
Pleeeeeeeease no. BT04 was a funny game and it's writing was hilarious (as was that British guy who did the narration who's name escapes me), it poked fun at the genre very well.

But Bard's Tale as a series was gritty and dark and brutal, it's what made the difficulty of the game work so well with the setting. You know one of the original devs of the BT games actually didn't have kind things to say about the 04 game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBg6L4H7WdE

I'm not having a go at the 04 game or saying it's bad, it was great on it's own but mixing it with the old BT games would be a mistake as they really have nothing similar about them except the name.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » December 6th, 2014, 2:42 am

Crosmando wrote: or Meantime (time-travel RPG).
That would be great.
+1 for time-travel RPG.