Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by Drool » August 23rd, 2012, 8:50 pm

Alwa nasci korliri das.

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » September 15th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Wow Fargo is like a fuckin saint, he knows what we need, that part about the feelings and the rabbid-dog... :shock: , it is a shame in today games, you can play Skyrim and kill around 5,000 randomly created bandits in order to reach the 83lvl, kill and murder becomes a simple automatic thing, while each kill must mean that you are taking away something finite, unique and precious from the game world. (even if its an ugly rider that must die)
I feel like Skyrim is a very bad game, it lacks of all the stuff that makes a good RPG (multiple paths, real world progression, multiple options for talking, stats, NPCs with personality, etc.) and Bugthesda wins a lot of money (and all the blowjobs), while other masterpieces like Fallout: New Vegas pass sadly unnoticed, this new generation of gamers really sucks.
Sorry for my ugly english
"We're all gorebags"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 15th, 2012, 9:13 pm

New Vegas sold 5 million units in its first month. I don't think it was "unnoticed".

I also think you're being incredibly and unnecessarily harsh on Skyrim, but I've come to expect that here. I keep forgetting that it's hip to hate anything popular.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Kimotei
Acolyte

Post by Kimotei » September 16th, 2012, 3:30 am

Drool wrote:I also think you're being incredibly and unnecessarily harsh on Skyrim, but I've come to expect that here. I keep forgetting that it's hip to hate anything popular.
Being harsh on Skyrim? Hes only stating the facts!

In regards to the thread topic, there are a couple of news that might interest the folks here.
1. Obsidian has a new Kickstarter RPG game going: Project Eternity, with Chris Avellone, Tim Cain++
2. Isometric hand drawn game developer of Stasis has finished a 2 week project of creating a Fallout 1/2 inspired graphic game engine, and it looks beautifull to say the least.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... t-eternity
http://www.stasisgame.com/1000-years-later/

edit: just found Project Eternity posted in another place here. Still, its also a news topic, since Chris Avellone is working on Wasteland 2 at the same time. How will this affect his work on Wasteland?

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » September 16th, 2012, 3:58 am

Kimotei wrote: since Chris Avellone is working on Wasteland 2 at the same time. How will this affect his work on Wasteland?
I doubt it will be effected much, if at all. If I recall correctly, Avellone's involvement in WL2 extends only as far as story writing and the Novella. I'm guessing his commitments to WL2 will be completed in plenty of time for him to do his work on Project Eternity.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » September 16th, 2012, 9:58 am

Kimotei wrote:Still, its also a news topic, since Chris Avellone is working on Wasteland 2 at the same time. How will this affect his work on Wasteland?
It won't, really. MCA is working on WL2, Tim Cain is working on South Park. Both are currently only on Eternity in a supporting role, to help Sawyer craft the world and character system. Their names are leveraged for the Kickstarter, of course, but as far as I know they're not immediately involved full-time. The same is kind of true for Wasteland 2, MCA isn't exactly working in inXile offices full-time, he's got his assigned locations and writeups and will work on them.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

ButchinMelancholy
Adventurer

Post by ButchinMelancholy » September 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Drool wrote:I also think you're being incredibly and unnecessarily harsh on Skyrim, but I've come to expect that here. I keep forgetting that it's hip to hate anything popular.
Or mediocre, but I guess it was hard to find a real argument...

I really hope Tim Cain's contribution will act as a pillar for Obsidian to wholly shine finally.
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » September 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Drool wrote:New Vegas sold 5 million units in its first month. I don't think it was "unnoticed".

I also think you're being incredibly and unnecessarily harsh on Skyrim, but I've come to expect that here. I keep forgetting that it's hip to hate anything popular.
Nah i dont hate popular stuff, watch my avatar, im also an old Fallout fan and i like Fallout 3 (sacrilegious!! :lol: ), its just that Skyrim has some stuff i dont like.
And yeah i didnt notice the big game sales. I was thinking in the fact that no copy New Vegas reached my zone (southeast Mexico), and i was the only person who actually preordered the game, and it got delayed 2 weeks. :D
"We're all gorebags"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 17th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Fargo's Twitter wrote:We are enjoying working with the scientists @ThwackeMontreal to help shape the science fiction of the Wasteland!
Could certainly make things interesting. Hopefully it won't kill the energy weapons.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

reiniat
Scholar

Post by reiniat » September 18th, 2012, 10:23 am

Drool wrote:
Fargo's Twitter wrote:We are enjoying working with the scientists @ThwackeMontreal to help shape the science fiction of the Wasteland!
Could certainly make things interesting. Hopefully it won't kill the energy weapons.
it means more messon cannons, gauss rifles, railguns, antimatter, gravity, plasma, laser!!!!
"We're all gorebags"

Valka
Scholar

Post by Valka » September 19th, 2012, 3:00 pm

reiniat wrote:
Drool wrote:
it means more messon cannons, gauss rifles, railguns, antimatter, gravity, plasma, laser!!!!
Don't forget nanobots!

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » September 19th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Valka wrote:Don't forget nanobots!
I just can't see them. (Their effects, perhaps, but the nanobots themselves, uh-uh.)
;)
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Valka
Scholar

Post by Valka » September 19th, 2012, 8:48 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:
I just can't see them. (Their effects, perhaps, but the nanobots themselves, uh-uh.)
;)
They would make such an awesome mini-game! Instead of just clicking components together to create/modify/repair stuff in games, we could actually enter a micro view and manage the nanobots and what they do, complete with their own special little economy.

I can picture our view as they infiltrate the database of a hostile network, or corrupt hardware components of robotic guards or armor, or picking locks... too many possibilities! I suppose it would be very challenging to balance them within a game though unless they were available only for minimal, isolated events.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 20th, 2012, 12:04 am

Valka wrote:
CaptainPatch wrote:
;)
They would make such an awesome mini-game! Instead of just clicking components together to create/modify/repair stuff in games, we could actually enter a micro view and manage the nanobots and what they do, complete with their own special little economy.

I can picture our view as they infiltrate the database of a hostile network, or corrupt hardware components of robotic guards or armor, or picking locks... too many possibilities! I suppose it would be very challenging to balance them within a game though unless they were available only for minimal, isolated events.
I think Paradroid did this best ;)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Kimotei
Acolyte

Post by Kimotei » September 24th, 2012, 10:19 am

Valka wrote:They would make such an awesome mini-game! Instead of just clicking components together to create/modify/repair stuff in games, we could actually enter a micro view and manage the nanobots and what they do,
Haha. Maybe like a strategy bacteria swarm kind of minigame version of the first level in the Spore game? :D Inject it into you body!

Biological warfare with nano particle gas. Or what about nano injections for stat boosts.

SaveSaturday
Initiate

Post by SaveSaturday » October 15th, 2012, 9:47 am

Love how he says that they have "no distractions from any kind of corporate overlord". So pumped for this game.

Sensuki
Scholar

Post by Sensuki » October 25th, 2012, 7:46 am

Odin
Acolyte

Post by Odin » October 26th, 2012, 12:52 am

I just love this level of commitment. Great :)

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » October 27th, 2012, 7:51 am

Brian Fargo, inXile's founder, said: "The more smart guys we have ... looking at the writing and design is always a good thing and in this case we have a group of very bright people checking our work."

Come on guys, help them out! I bet hes talking about the awesome crowd at the forums. :)
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

Game_Exile
Scholar

Post by Game_Exile » October 29th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Lol at this. It's a marketing tool dressed up as science "consultation". I hope they at least get some really good environmental puzzles out of this.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, great environmental puzzles are among the most important elements of the game, if not the most important. What does all the "reactivity" BS amount to for this game, if not ways to design really interesting and complex adventure game style puzzles?
If you like my posts, and you like more complex gameplay systems, please consider IMPROVED OVERWORLD MECHANICS for Wasteland 2. Let me know if you agree, disagree, or have anything else to add.