Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

frabron
Acolyte

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by frabron » October 6th, 2015, 11:47 am

Nice! I can see myself already doing the character generation over and over again - I just can't decide what to pick for my squad. It'll make me sick :D

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 6th, 2015, 10:05 pm

sear wrote:One more for the road! Today we have a new trailer showcasing squad creation & tactics with Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Q2Cr04qyQ

News post: https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment. ... view&id=15
AHHHHHHH! It's PARTY, not SQUAD. It's an RPG not a tactics/strategy game.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

frabron
Acolyte

Post by frabron » October 7th, 2015, 6:30 am

Na, it's definitely squad.
In military terminology, a squad is a sub-subunit led by a non-commissioned officer
says wikipedia and I agree. Since the rangers are military-like organisation, it has to be squad :lol:

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 8th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Kotaku has published an article trying to get to the mystery of Wasteland 2's big red button found inside the Hollywood sewers. The answers may shock, amaze, surprise, or confuse you!

http://kotaku.com/it-took-a-year-to-fin ... 1735456665
When you enter the Hollywood Sewers section, there’s a cracked wall to the left of the entrance. If you break the wall, there’s a strange-looking machine with a red button. It looks so...tempting and inviting. Who wouldn’t want to touch it?

When you press it, the screen shakes...and that’s it. Or so it seems?

This button has spawned endless threads of confusion on Steam, the official message board, reddit, and countless other places on the Internet. Everyone’s stumped about what this damn button does (or doesn’t) do in Wasteland 2.

Dang.

Though Fargo was claiming state secrets, I wasn’t willing to give up that easily. After Techland fessed up to what’s actually powering the city featured in Dying Light, I put my big boy journalism pants on and demanded Wasteland 2 developer inXile Entertainment tell me what’s going on with this inscrutable red button.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 12th, 2015, 9:07 am

The initial wave of press reviews of Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut are rolling out! Here’s the first batch of coverage.

ZTGD - 9/10, Editor’s Choice Award
ThisIsXbox - 85/100
GameZone - (scoreless)
God is a Geek - 8.5/10
Examiner - 4/5 stars
PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5/10

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 12th, 2015, 12:09 pm

More reviews! Articles linked on our site here: https://wasteland.inxile-entertainment. ... view&id=20

Multiplayer.it - 8.6/10
Vandal - 8.6/10
WarLegend.net - 17/20
PlayStation Universe - 8/10
Popbucket - 8/10
Eurogamer Italy - 8/10
Duimschroef - 4/5
Videogiochi - 8/10
Vida Extra - (scoreless)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 13th, 2015, 5:41 pm

IGN has a review of the Director’s Cut and they’ve awarded it an 8.5/10 score, saying "Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut is strong console adaptation of a great old-school roleplaying game." !

Not too shabby! Check out the full article and video review here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/13/ ... cut-review

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 18th, 2015, 9:50 pm

frabron wrote:Na, it's definitely squad.
In military terminology, a squad is a sub-subunit led by a non-commissioned officer
says wikipedia and I agree. Since the rangers are military-like organisation, it has to be squad :lol:
"A Ranger is not a soldier" - WL2 manual

frabron
Acolyte

Post by frabron » October 19th, 2015, 12:52 am

I don't want to nitpick, but on p13 in the manual, character system:
Upon starting the game, you'll create a squad of Desert Rangers, ...
so quoting the manual does not support your opinion. But let us put this to rest, it's better to play the game than battle over this :)

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 19th, 2015, 1:00 am

My point is that "party" has a loooong history of being the nomenclature of choice for a group of characters in an RPG. "Squad" in gaming lingo refers to tactics/strategy games.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » October 19th, 2015, 8:06 am

Crosmando wrote:My point is that "party" has a loooong history of being the nomenclature of choice for a group of characters in an RPG. "Squad" in gaming lingo refers to tactics/strategy games.
Yup.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » October 20th, 2015, 2:05 pm

A "gaggle" of Rangers is also acceptable nomenclature in the Wasteland 2 universe; but people might give you a funny look.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

frabron
Acolyte

Post by frabron » October 20th, 2015, 11:44 pm

:lol:

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » October 23rd, 2015, 11:13 am

http://www.pcgamer.com/two-paths-throug ... fallout-4/

An interview with Brian about what makes 'his' games special and how they deviate from the ones they're compare to with a big focus on the wasteland and fallout series.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 10th, 2016, 12:59 pm

There is a delightfully in depth interview with Brian at PC Gamer today, where he talks in detail about Wasteland 2's development and much more: http://www.pcgamer.com/brian-fargo-josh ... re-of-rpgs

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 25th, 2016, 6:27 am

Existential Gamer spoke with Brian Fargo about all manner of topics recently, including Wasteland 2, game development in general, as well as some wider topics like his dream VR game. http://existentialgamer.com/brian-fargo ... -interview
EG: What’s the relationship between your life experiences and the way you write, design, and create characters, storylines, and games?

BF: I draw almost all of my inspiration from my personal life experiences, reading about others or stories that people share with me personally. Authenticity resonates. I was in Croatia recently and met a local who told me about his grandfather the hunter. He said that he has owned 4 four dogs in his life, each with the name Jackie.

Apparently one day he was out hunting and shot a wild boar, but his bullet only grazed the animal, causing it to enter a frenzy. As the boar was charging to kill the hunter, his trusty dog Jackie jumped out and took the hit, dying in the process.

His Grandfather dropped his rifle and ran to the doctor but was unable to save the dog. According to the hunter’s wife, it was the only time she ever saw the man cry. After that he named every one of his dogs Jackie. These kinds of stories are powerful, and you can bet you’ll find some part of this one in Wasteland 3.

---

EG: I loved the game for many reasons, but one of my favorite aspects of Wasteland 2 is that certain narrative strands are left unresolved. Do you value non-resolution in video game narratives, and why?

BF: Mystery is a big part of a universe to me and I don’t feel the need or desire to wrap up every loose end. Life doesn’t work that way and I like leaving the player wondering about certain things, it sparks the imagination. And sometimes in a sequel we decide to resolve or explain a few of these nagging mysteries. Wrapping everything up in a bow each time is dull.

bokkie
Novice

Post by bokkie » June 1st, 2016, 3:55 am

Wasteland 3 confirmed \o/ ;)

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » June 3rd, 2016, 12:14 pm

Wasteland 3!? Really? What great news. Let's hope it wasn't just a typo.

ngoctrinhkorea
Initiate

Post by ngoctrinhkorea » November 5th, 2016, 1:08 am

Well, it's one more screen shot than we had LAST week, so I'll take it and be happy to get it! :)

sear
Developer

Re: Wasteland External News Thread

Post by sear » November 24th, 2016, 7:27 am

Red Bull did an interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Keenan about Wasteland 3, you can check it out here: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories ... asteland-3
After spending time in Arizona for Wasteland 2, Fargo is happy to tell us how the new setting, Colorado, fits into the lore. “The idea was that the Rangers [the dominant faction in the Wasteland] wanted to expand their territory and bring law and order not just to Arizona, but to the rest of the States. And Colorado was interesting because NORAAD (North American Aerospace Defence Command) is located there, too. So it seemed like an obvious place to go.”

Switching the arid deserts of Wasteland 2 for the cold weather of Colorado means that the radiation suit you needed to stay alive is now going to be replaced by protection from the cold, but there’s still a world map in play, it’s just that inXile isn’t quite sure how it will work yet. Keenan explains: “There will be some amount of overworld travel as you move through. Whether it looks like the old world map is up for debate,” while Fargo insists that the team are currently experimenting. “But the idea of a world map goes all the way back to Wasteland 1 and the original Fallout series, and that’s not something we want to deviate from.” So the game won’t be Skyrim sized, then, but Keenan insists that “we still want you moving between locations and feeling like you’re outside a local space.”
(Also, this thread is now for general Wasteland external news, not just Wasteland 2... carry on!)