Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sear
Developer

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by sear » March 27th, 2015, 7:11 am

Eurogamer's out with a massive interview on the Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition, which includes some graphical comparison shots and some new info.
As for combat, Firaxis’ wonderful XCOM reboot is a clear inspiration. In fact it’s an inspiration for the entire Wasteland 2 console project. Firaxis took turn-based combat and made it easy to play with a console controller. Shifting between units, selecting abilities and moving about the map was never fiddly. You just didn’t notice it being an issue. And that’s what inXile hopes to replicate with Wasteland 2 on console.

The parallels are clear: Firaxis rebooted an old-school PC series for PC and console. InXile is doing the same, although the console versions arrive half a year after the PC version in the case of Wasteland 2. The combat in Firaxis’ XCOM is a party-based and turn-based affair with a top-down camera perspective you can rotate. The combat in Wasteland 2 is the same.

"Their UI on console was the gold standard for handling a complex game in a way on console that was very satisfying," Fargo says. "We recognise that. We always look at the body of work that comes before us. We want to make sure we’re looking at what gamers gravitate towards, and what they think is done right."

"[XCOM] is certainly a starting point for us," Keenan adds. "We want to make sure we have similar ease of use in controls."

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » March 27th, 2015, 8:45 am

Great read and the screenshots look great. I will definitely be doing another play through after the update. I haven't touched WL2 since my first post-release game, so I'll be excited to see what state the game is in with so many patches since then.

randir14
Explorer

Post by randir14 » March 27th, 2015, 12:57 pm

The new character models are quite an upgrade. The other screen looks pretty good too, but I think the grass needs some variation. Right now it just looks like the exact same model placed multiple times.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 27th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Amazing the difference 6 months makes ;)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Onholyservicebound
Scholar

Post by Onholyservicebound » March 27th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Those character models are nice, but they'd be even nicer with indian headdresses. :)

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » March 28th, 2015, 1:21 am

"Anything that needs unique UI for console is getting its own special UI," Keenan says. "We're touching everything we need to."
"[XCOM] is certainly a starting point for us," Keenan adds. "We want to make sure we have similar ease of use in controls."
Soon you'll be able to play Wasteland 2 on PC with a controller, using the console UI being built for PS4 and Xbox One.
so one UI to rule them all? Because its not clear, both interviews says a little different 'bout that.
Gamepad is not KB+M and KB+M is not gamepad. I know that it's double-work but they NEED to be separated.
"inspired by X-COM" concerns me a little bit, because its UI was terrible on PCs before some patches afaik, because everything was designed for gamepads in first place.

@visuals - tbh older looks better, especially character models. New ones looks like HD texture streached on model from 90s.

and still no info if we get some removed content (gippers anyone?), which is tbh far more interesting than few new glowing effects on some random pipes.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 28th, 2015, 6:56 am

Salmanasar wrote:
"Anything that needs unique UI for console is getting its own special UI," Keenan says. "We're touching everything we need to."
Soon you'll be able to play Wasteland 2 on PC with a controller, using the console UI being built for PS4 and Xbox One.
so one UI to rule them all? Because its not clear, both interviews says a little different 'bout that.
Gamepad is not KB+M and KB+M is not gamepad. I know that it's double-work but they NEED to be separated.
"inspired by X-COM" concerns me a little bit, because its UI was terrible on PCs before some patches afaik, because everything was designed for gamepads in first place.
I think you may have misunderstood. Chris was talking about the gamepad/console UI. The main thing is that on gamepads we cannot present some information the same way as if you had a mouse, and obviously using skills, taking actions in combat, etc. also needs to behave differently.

While the PC version will let you play with a gamepad, you don't have to, and the UI won't change to "gamepad mode" if you aren't using one. We already have a pretty solid UI for mouse and keyboard, and we designed the game originally around it, so no need to mess with it where it works.

paradox-fi
Scholar

Post by paradox-fi » March 28th, 2015, 11:38 am

Onholyservicebound wrote:Those character models are nice, but they'd be even nicer with indian headdresses. :)
Those would be nice too, but what I'd like to see among the new character models are ones that would look like the painted portraits, or at least close enough. For example, if you choose the portrait with pink hair, there's no way you can make your character look like it. So, give us a female head with pink hair, and other combinations to match the portraits :)

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » March 28th, 2015, 11:53 am

Well, both interviews and previous announcements were too centered on gamepad, it wasn't clear if there will be two toggable interfaces in PC GOTY or just one new for everyone. Anyway, thanks for clarification :)

*still crossing fingers for new (restored) content*

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 28th, 2015, 12:11 pm

sear wrote:While the PC version will let you play with a gamepad, you don't have to, and the UI won't change to "gamepad mode" if you aren't using one. We already have a pretty solid UI for mouse and keyboard, and we designed the game originally around it, so no need to mess with it where it works.
Thank you for clearing this up. It's what I assumed was the case, but it's nice to have it flatly stated.
Onholyservicebound wrote:Those character models are nice, but they'd be even nicer with indian headdresses. :)
Maybe we'll finally get our gaskmasks, too.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » March 29th, 2015, 3:39 am

Salmanasar wrote:Well, both interviews and previous announcements were too centered on gamepad, it wasn't clear if there will be two toggable interfaces in PC GOTY or just one new for everyone. Anyway, thanks for clarification :)

*still crossing fingers for new (restored) content*
Yea, I am also hoping we get that one area where everyone is worshiping Reagan.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » March 30th, 2015, 2:01 am

I wonder if they'll ever tell us how many copies WL2 sold.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » March 31st, 2015, 7:00 am

Crosmando wrote:I wonder if they'll ever tell us how many copies WL2 sold.
They might once consoles sell 600 000 copies and PCs 400 000 :D

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 17th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Wasteland 2 project lead Chris Keenan talks the GOTY Edition with Shacknews: http://www.shacknews.com/article/89153/ ... on-4-debut
SN: How does the PC point-and-click experience translate over to consoles?

CK: The honest answer is it doesn’t without a good deal of work. The thought of having to click around the world with a controller as you would with a mouse sounds absolutely horrible. We’ve been working on creating console controls that give the best experience possible, which means making adjustments to many of the systems when on console. As we look at each major gameplay element, we discuss what it would play like on a controller and if it doesn’t feel like a seamless transition, we modify it.

SN: Did you or have you run into any issues translating a game that's primarily interfaced with a mouse and keyboard to be used with a controller?

CK: Oh yeah. While we were making the PC version, we only trying to make a great PC game. There were no considerations for “if we put this on Xbox in a few years, this system won’t work”. We were razor focused on delivering what we promised to our backers. While that makes our job harder now, we have a very good design and engineering team looking at each of these issues and changing what needs to be changed.

Outside of UI modifications, some underlying systems like using a lockpick skill on a door needs to work differently. In the PC version, you would click on the lockpick icon on your hotkey bar, then click on the door you want to pick. We don’t have that option on console. Now, you can bring up a radial menu of your skills while pushing the thumbstick in the direction of the door. This highlights the object and assuming you’re close to it, activating that skill will unlock the door. It feels very natural while using a controller.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » April 21st, 2015, 2:26 am

Will WL2 on Unity 5 run better on same hardware?

Wyzak
Scholar

Post by Wyzak » April 21st, 2015, 2:44 am

-Archangel- wrote:Will WL2 on Unity 5 run better on same hardware?
Yes, there are numerous performance increases being reported by other games that have upgraded from U4 to U5 on same hardware.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 21st, 2015, 10:27 am

-Archangel- wrote:Will WL2 on Unity 5 run better on same hardware?
We haven't done any direct comparisons but we have noticed that we can get away with substantially better assets and maintain the same or better framerates than before.

As far as low-end system scalability, I'm not so sure. Most everyone in the office has pretty high-end systems for obvious reasons so we tend not to test on a day-to-day basis using low-end hardware unless we are specifically working on compatibility testing. Much of that is also handled by our partners at Testronic Labs, who do QA for us. To my knowledge they've reported no performance issues with Unity 5 though, so at least it probably won't hurt performance on lower-spec computers.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » April 21st, 2015, 11:07 am

I know you can't reasonably test everything for 8 year old hardware, but hopefully the minimum reqs won't go up , at least?

This is just my guess, but probably a lot of of us aren't into mainstream gaming much, and as such we don't really bother with upgrading our PCs, as long as internet and work related software runs reasonable well. The only mainstream releases I played last 3 years was Tomb Raider and Mass Effect series. Otherwise its indie rougelike, indie RPGs and strategy games. :P
Last edited by IHaveHugeNick on April 21st, 2015, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » April 21st, 2015, 11:52 am

i too have an older computer, but i think the game should be programmed looking into the futuere, not in the past. I think its more important that you can still enjoy the game in 10 years, and not that you can today enjoy the game with a 10 year old pc :D

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » April 21st, 2015, 2:17 pm

No, I get that, but minimal reqs going up 1 year after release is a big no-no.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.