Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Grim Monk
Novice

Wasteland External News Thread

Post by Grim Monk » March 6th, 2012, 1:55 pm

This thread is for all media/blog/youtube/other coverage not directly from inXile.
For all the latest check the Wasteland tumblr.

I have no idea :oops: in which sub-forum to post this so am putting it here.

Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview with Brian Fargo - Part 1:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8005
Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview - Part 2: Michael A. Stackpole:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8023

NMA Wasteland Kickstarter Project Interview with Brian Fargo:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=60856

Post More Stuff Below...

shamroxor
Initiate

Re: Wasteland 2 External News Thread

Post by shamroxor » March 9th, 2012, 3:27 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... er-Rewards
there's a forum where a surprising amount of discussion is going on
Not too surprising, given how long some of us have been waiting for a sequel; I believe Wasteland was quite popular back in the day...

Hydraulic Santa
Initiate

Post by Hydraulic Santa » March 12th, 2012, 9:12 am

Fresh Brian Fargo interview at Rock Paper Shotgun http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03 ... steland-2/

Liquid
Initiate

Post by Liquid » March 15th, 2012, 8:35 am

New interview with Brian Fargo at Joystiq: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/15 ... ew-with-br

Nice bunch of details there:

The game will initially take place in the (American) southwest with you controlling a band of desert rangers like the first game. The game will have scope and scale like both Wasteland and Fallout; it will be open-world in the sense that we don't lead you around by the nose; it will have multiple approaches to most things to avoid the moralistic "right" solution; it will be skill based; NPCs will join the group and not always behave like you want, and it will not require hand-eye coordination. Oh, and tons of weapons so people can shoot their way through situations instead of charming anyone.

Gazz
Acolyte

Post by Gazz » March 15th, 2012, 8:54 am

shamroxor wrote:I believe Wasteland was quite popular back in the day...
That is like saying that the pope is quite catholic.

Liquid
Initiate

Post by Liquid » March 15th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Another new interview: http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/excl ... asteland-2

The more of these I read, the more faith I have in this project. He gets us, he's one of us.
One of the things that saves us money is not doing cut-scenes. Those are incredibly expensive and time consuming and frankly, the hardcore crowd doesn't care that much about them, so that saves us a tremendous amount of time.
When asked about a console port:
I don't know, we haven't given a lot of thought to that. We'd like to keep it to a mouse and keyboard or screen driven, so I haven't though about a controller. We need to make sure we deliver on this title on the PC, they way that they want, so I hesitate to think about those versions.

Liquid
Initiate

Post by Liquid » March 17th, 2012, 1:17 pm

New interview over at GameBanshee: http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/1 ... rview.html
GB: Unfortunately, role-playing games have lost much of their original identity in recent years, thanks in part to the popularity of first-person action RPGs. How do you convince a newer or younger RPG fan who has grown accustomed to the action-focused titles to give Wasteland 2 a shot?

Brian: Well here is the beauty of fan funding... we don't have to convince some younger RPG player of anything. I am making this game for the wonderful fans who put their money behind us and not some nebulous group of new people. Let's make the game they all expect and let the chips fall where they may. There is just no way I'm going to consider anything that could let down the core.

Madball357
Acolyte

Post by Madball357 » March 17th, 2012, 6:26 pm

Liquid wrote:New interview over at GameBanshee: http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/1 ... rview.html
Everyone.Read.That.

enderandrew
Scholar

Interview with Brian Fargo

Post by enderandrew » March 18th, 2012, 4:31 pm

MDF_MadDogFargo
Explorer

Post by MDF_MadDogFargo » March 19th, 2012, 2:07 am

"Party and turn based combat is an absolute critical requirement for me. I like finding the right mix of Desert Rangers combined with NPC's and I enjoy the tactics that come from that dynamic. Players will spend more time doing combat than most anything in an RPG so it needs to be deep and rewarding. The skill based system is another must have to me as it opens up the world to be explored in ways that the player wants to do. You can have someone picklock the door, use demolitions on it, sneak over the back wall or try and let a rocket loose to blow the door off. A good RPG always offers many options for the player to move forward and with some of their choices may open or close off entire areas. I think the 3rd element is the way NPC's had a mind of their own within combat or game mechanics. The best storytelling often comes from the moments that happen from within the system. Almost everyone remembers when Angela Deth would empty an entire Uzi clip into a rat and completely waste hard earned ammo." - Brian Fargo

sorophx
Novice

Post by sorophx » March 19th, 2012, 10:02 pm

so, as far as I know Wasteland 2 had been in (pre)production for a year or so, before Brian decided to freeze the project, correct?

my question is; do we have anything other than these interviews on the game? like, concept art? early screenshots?

Conall
Acolyte

A bit more clarity on Brian Fargo's vision

Post by Conall » March 20th, 2012, 1:06 pm

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/exc ... r-success/

For those that have not read this interview yet. Brian clarifies a few questions that I have seen across the forum.
What do we think?

Conall
Acolyte

Re: A bit more clarity on Brian Fargo's vision

Post by Conall » March 20th, 2012, 1:07 pm

“Having more money means the writers will get to make the game broader and deeper. The bigger music and sound budget means more great music from Mark Morgan. It also allows for more varied environments, more character portraits and interesting effects like having radiation clouds that float move over areas.”

“In addition to more locations, we’ll have the manpower to create more layered effects based on what the player is up to. Cause and effect is everything in a good RPG so triggering based off more variables makes for a better world. This can range from having hundreds of different NPC dialogue remarks based on who is in the party, encounters that react to what you look like, scenes that open up based on how violent you were or perhaps how low your intelligence is. This kind of depth is what made Wasteland 1 so good.” -Brian Fargo

Madball357
Acolyte

Post by Madball357 » March 21st, 2012, 5:43 am

This thread should be a sticky across all sub-forums.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 21st, 2012, 7:42 am

Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 21st, 2012, 9:58 am

Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Madball357
Acolyte

Post by Madball357 » March 22nd, 2012, 4:39 am

RPG Codex Wasteland 2 Interview - Part 3: Brian Fargo on Community Feedback
Wasteland enforced a distinction between the core group of player created characters and the companions that could tag along. The companions would largely control themselves and helped to integrate the player's party with the game's setting and quests. Is the autonomy and personality of these companions something you would like to expand upon in Wasteland 2? In what ways?

BF: I absolutely want to expand on the NPCs' self directed nature. I do want control to tell them to move, fire, evade, etc., and probably most the time they will obey. Some NPCs will waste ammo like in the first game, but I want to take it further. Some will steal from you, which will be funny to notice your canteen is missing. Maybe he will return it and maybe he won't. And you may have another powerful NPC in the group, but he just hates bikers. Walk into a biker bar and he starts attacking without regard for consequences. Those are fun moments for me.
Awesome :mrgreen:

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 22nd, 2012, 1:28 pm

NMA has some comments from Fargo on multiplayer, DLC and quest compasses
Will the game contain any form of day-one or small DLC (not expansion pack-sized ones post-release)?

Hell no there won't be day one DLC... everything is going to the game as it should be. I feel like I've been taken advantage of in other games in which they tried to sell me stuff that was already completed. This isn't a free to play model. Now of course I might insist on a red boots DLC pack for fun.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 22nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer