Update 44: FTW For The When

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

banefane
Initiate

Re: Update 44: FTW For The When

Post by banefane »

Brother None wrote:
Brother None wrote:
banefane wrote:When I klick the links in the wasteland-update-email this happens:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newsletter/lt.php on this server.
Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) Server at newsletter.sparkworkz.com Port 80

why? O_o
Not sure! Sparkworkz is our mail server for our PayPal mailing list and it does generate "click-through" links in the emails. Those usually work fine but you're right, there's something wrong with em now. We'll look into it.
Alright, it was a problem with the mail server. The links should all work again now.
Now I can watch the screenshots with highres!Thanks for the quick response :D !
Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max »

Felixg91 wrote:fine finish the game and make it good, especially tweak that combat. Surprises are nice too. By all means, I have waited this long and come this far not backing my money or my support out now.

that weapon in the second screenshot is NOT an M-1 Carbine, it is the size of a rifle and looks more like an M-1 Garand, I see they still need help with weapons...sigh...I would do it for free...just get rid of the lousier and more unlikely weapons (RPG-7 and Gew-43 I am looking directly at you) and make the weapons that they should actually keep LOOK like the actual weapon.

other than my minor nit-picking the screenshots look good,
I thought the carbine looked more like a chop shop Mini 30, actually, which is close to what they seem to want for the weapon (except they made it selective fire).

As to the Gew (and to a lesser extent, the RPG-7 which is at least somewhat plausible due to it's actual distribution in the western hemisphere; I think Mexico actually uses them as their standard man-portable AT weapon), as well as the FNC (um...small production run and most of them were to fill orders for the Belgian, Swedish and Indonesian armed forces and some African states), yeah, get 'em out of there. There are plenty of very real guns out there that can fill the same roles that those weapons do and not strain credibility.

Shit, they have the M16 in there and they haven't built anywhere NEAR as many of those (of all variants combined) as just the Garand.

My preference is for the M14/M1A, personally, if for no other reasons than I prefer the .308, never got my thumb caught in an M14 breech and they just plain look cooler.

As to the update, thanks for the heads up, guys.

I eagerly await a chance to get my hands on an improved beta.
25 years and it's finally here...
snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil »

i liked the update. i really hope BF will soon stop to bore me with the neverending story of how great everything is, so thx for adressing that concern. the destructability of environmental objects is another thing i am very glad to read about since, in my opinion, its one of the things that seriously brings memorability and class to a modern game world. (maybe i just love Bad Company 2 too much, lol)
i was pretty underwhelmed by the pictures, they feel a tad boring to me. unlike the ones in the update before! more fire, more fire! :lol:
concerning the UI, i think inxile should stop tweaking and let it rest for a while, creating a little distance to it and then, if necessary do a last round of tweaks.
another thing that turns me down a bit are the rough edges of the character models. it just doesnt look convincing, they look somewhat disconnected from the rest of the environment, mostly from the ground. its the old floating issue. maybe it is possible to add a 1-2 pixel diffuser scrim to the outer edges to make them seem softer.
concerning delays, i have no problem with inxile taking the time they need to build the game they want to release, the more important question is, will the funds carry them through this process? how much money has been spent already? is there enough left to finish the game at all or will ambition prevent us from truely getting a finished game? actually this is what concerns me most, at some point the cash is gone.
i dont expect too much interest for the game beyond those who already backed it. when reading articles on eurogamer there are hardly much comments, which always tells you something about general interest in a game. our view (the supporters) may be pretty biased when it comes to how many copies wasteland 2 will finally sell. of course getting good reviews will help but i dont expect wasteland 2 to be too popular. so i hope that inxile didnt take any money from torment hoping for wasteland 2 to fill the pockets.
i expect w2 to be released Q4 this year along with pillars of eternity which possibly attracts more interest since it just looks better so far (concerning the published footage yet). and dont forget the new dragon age and witcher 3, which will be released this year too.
so overall i remain sceptical. the keyword system, the boring action point combat and the graphics being the major problem areas, not the UI that already got too much attention so far. i dont want to be too negative, but wasteland 2 still looks a bit boring to be honest, thats its biggest problem i think. maybe its because of the setting, but thats just how it is when i take a step back and look at it from the more general gamer perspective. the hardcore fans will love it anyway. maybe the announced particle effects will help a bit here...
anyway i trust inxile to deliver a great game and its still time to do the right things. looking forward to see the upcoming beta in action!
Last edited by snakeoil on February 21st, 2014, 6:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

snakeoil wrote: the more important question is, will the funds carry them through this process?
Yup.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil »

Brother None wrote:
snakeoil wrote: the more important question is, will the funds carry them through this process?
Yup.
YAY! i feel a lot better now, thx!
Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius »

Any idea the size of this update in MB's? I'm not working monday so was wondering how long of a DL. Also, any idea the timeframe that it will be available on Monday?
Nexus
Acolyte

Post by Nexus »

snakeoil wrote:
Brother None wrote:
Yup.
YAY! i feel a lot better now, thx!
Indeed, this also had me slightly concerned, but I had some faith in Faran Brygo considering he's managed the upper levels of these kind of operations and budget before, along side dealing with deadlines. But still its easy to let your eyes get bigger than your budget.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

I've never been worried about the money on THIS project.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
HowLowCanYaGo
Initiate

Post by HowLowCanYaGo »

Woolfe wrote:I've never been worried about the money on THIS project.
This quote is almost comforting, but not quite.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

HowLowCanYaGo wrote:
Woolfe wrote:I've never been worried about the money on THIS project.
This quote is almost comforting, but not quite.
The one thing a lot of the other projects DON'T have is someone like Bryan Fargo at the helm.

People forget one of the reasons Publishers exist and are the holders of the cash. That is to keep the project on goal etc so that it eventually gets completed.

BF founded Interplay, Interplay was a publisher. If anyone can manage that side of things, whilst not getting in the developers hair, it would be BF and co.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando »

Good update.

Kinda disappointed that their considering full-blown Fallout-style targeted shots, but don't seem to be considering Pickpocketing/stealing, which to me is much more of an essential RPG feature than something which is very clearly in the domain of "tactics/strategy".
Last edited by Crosmando on February 22nd, 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias did nothing wrong!
Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth »

Revolucas wrote:Haha, just say soon!
Disclaimer: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between InXile Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, InXile does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as InXile will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
Do not taunt Happy Fun Soon :)

I think they have the Blizzard approach to Soon. As such, I've begun applying the watched pot and lack of boiling concept to my visits here. So I was thrilled to see the update! I think it miiiiiiight happen by my birthday (June) but am picking now further out than that. As long as it is its best, I don't mind.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Nyxalinth wrote:I think they have the Blizzard approach to Soon.
I think you mean: "every software developer in history". Dev time is a notorious concept, and hardly unique to Blizzard. Or Valve. Or inXile. Or...
Crosmando wrote:Kinda disappointed that their considering full-blown Fallout-style targeted shots, but don't seem to be considering Pickpocketing/stealing, which to me is much more of an essential RPG feature than something which is very clearly in the domain of "tactics/strategy".
Well, they did promise "deep tactical combat". Pickpocketing always felt more at home in fantasy settings and... well... I play a lot of stealth characters, but I almost never use pickpocketing. I prefer assassin-type over thief-type. If I'm gonna get that close all sneaky, might as well just cut their throat; then I can look at my leisure.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Helz
Acolyte

Post by Helz »

Drool wrote:
Nyxalinth wrote:I think they have the Blizzard approach to Soon.
I think you mean: "every software developer in history". Dev time is a notorious concept, and hardly unique to Blizzard. Or Valve. Or inXile. Or... .
I wish every developer shared that trait. Only the best ones do, the majority are okay with "ship now, patch later (maybe)".
Drool wrote:
Crosmando wrote:Kinda disappointed that their considering full-blown Fallout-style targeted shots, but don't seem to be considering Pickpocketing/stealing, which to me is much more of an essential RPG feature than something which is very clearly in the domain of "tactics/strategy".
Well, they did promise "deep tactical combat". Pickpocketing always felt more at home in fantasy settings and... well... I play a lot of stealth characters, but I almost never use pickpocketing. I prefer assassin-type over thief-type. If I'm gonna get that close all sneaky, might as well just cut their throat; then I can look at my leisure.
I agree. Aimed shots are wonderful, I expect it to improve the combat substantially. OTOH, I've never like the way pickpocketing works in CRPGs. Any game that tries to be somewhat realistic with the consequences of getting caught basically requires you to save/reload for success if you pickpocket much. Or you get high enough level to be "invisible" and turn every NPC into a loot container. Actually the only implementation I've seen that I liked was for a turn-based game where you could only pickpocket enemies during combat. It added a little tactical depth by offering the chance for some rare loot and wasting an attack turn.
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

Uploading the update now.
Helz wrote:I wish every developer shared that trait. Only the best ones do, the majority are okay with "ship now, patch later (maybe)".
Developers generally aren't in a position to make that call, and even if they have the decision-making power they don't always have the funds. We're in a very enviable position, we have the funds we need and our backers want us to take our time - which doesn't mean you guys *like* waiting, but you'd rather wait than get an inferior product. It's pretty cool.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
Tets
Master

Post by Tets »

im currently downloading an ~136mb update

is this the update?
Djoan
Acolyte

Post by Djoan »

Where is the stream? There is only 10 sec video...
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

That 136MB download is not the update. I think that was the new .net distributal.

Twitch stream is pushed back just a tad because we were doing the Steam update stuff. Priorities!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

That 136MB download is not the update. I think that was the new .net distributal.

Twitch stream is pushed back just a tad because we were doing the Steam update stuff. Priorities!

----

There we go, the update is downloading on Steam now. 3.3 GB.

Will have patch notes for y'all soon.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
edmondo
Acolyte

Post by edmondo »

YES! THANKS. Download starting in 60 seconds! Need to reboot Linux and start Windows :D

Return to “Wasteland Series News & Announcements”