Update 44: FTW For The When

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Lexx
Scholar

Re: Update 44: FTW For The When

Post by Lexx »

Yeah, kinda scary that size. Was wondering about the 130mb first, because it felt so small. Then it hit me... Probably won't be able to test it out this evening.

When do we see the huge ass changelog?
Tets
Master

Post by Tets »

after downloading witcher 2 two times (32gb in total) that 3gb update seems small to me :D also.. 21% downloaded :D
vadrick
Acolyte

Post by vadrick »

Brother None wrote:That 136MB download is not the update. I think that was the new .net distributal.

Twitch stream is pushed back just a tad because we were doing the Steam update stuff. Priorities!

----

There we go, the update is downloading on Steam now. 3.3 GB.

Will have patch notes for y'all soon.
I hit INSTALL on my Mac and it downloaded only 39.6 MB. I'm afraid to hit PLAY. :6)
edmondo
Acolyte

Post by edmondo »

edmondo wrote:YES! THANKS. Download starting in 60 seconds! Need to reboot Linux and start Windows :D
Donwloaded. 4.1 MB/s for 3.5 GB. Now let's play. See you later ;)
frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx »

Are old savegames working? At least mine dont seem to be ...
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

The update breaks old savegames.

The Mac version should be live now as well.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx »

Brother None wrote:The update breaks old savegames.
Oh well. But whatever, attributes are heavily revamped anyway ... coordination and awareness nerfed, speed buffed. Prolly better to reroll anyway.
vadrick
Acolyte

Post by vadrick »

Brother None wrote:The update breaks old savegames.

The Mac version should be live now as well.
All is well with Mac now. thanks!
Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius »

What did stance changing add to the game exactly? I can now use 1 AP to crouch which improves aim. When will I NOT use this? EVERY single time I want to shoot now, I have an extra button to press.

Suggestion: Increase AP cost of attacks by 1 if movement occurred that turn and automatically crouch when shooting. If no movement since last attack, then don't add the extra AP cost. The extra click for every character almost every round is really sucking bad.

In other news, the shotgun spread indicator is BADASS.

Edit: Let me say I really really don't like this stance changing. I wish it was automatic. The extra click is surprisingly extremely annoying. Much more than I would have ever thought. It's really great for the sniper who sets up and stays in one place through combat. For my other guys who are moving around more to get flanking positions and taking cover, it really really sucks.

Overall, most of the changes I've seen I'm pleased with. (Except where'd Silent Move go?) The game feels much cleaner overall so far.
TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist »

Can't wait to finally try this out when I get home!

Now I need to do some long, dark reflecting on why I'm so damn busy this week of all weeks...
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
a cat
Novice

Post by a cat »

Lucius wrote:What did stance changing add to the game exactly? I can now use 1 AP to crouch which improves aim. When will I NOT use this? EVERY single time I want to shoot now, I have an extra button to press.
Edit: Let me say I really really don't like this stance changing. I wish it was automatic. The extra click is surprisingly extremely annoying. Much more than I would have ever thought. It's really great for the sniper who sets up and stays in one place through combat. For my other guys who are moving around more to get flanking positions and taking cover, it really really sucks.
You can leave your characters in the crouch stance so when combat starts they are already crouched. Example: I have my main shooter (assult rifle) plus Angela always crouched and my two melee peeps left standing. It doesn't look silly either, when out of combat they stand to run and when stop they crouch again, they just look ready for combat :)

As for the update: I am liking it! The game felt so bland and empty before and now there is life. I enjoy the new animations, especially when smacking someone with a lead pipe causes them to drop to the ground momentarily. Overall it feels like I'm playing a different game to how it was before the update.
meow
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

a cat wrote:You can leave your characters in the crouch stance so when combat starts they are already crouched.
Doesn't address the core issue.

If $optional_feature adds a benefit with little or no cost, then why would anyone not use $optional_feature. In other words, if crouching gives an accuracy bonus with no real cost (especially if you can start crouched), then why would you ever not-crouch? How is it a choice or an option if it's always better? Probably not better for melee, but why wouldn't you put all your firearms characters in a crouch at the start of the game and leave them that way until the end credits?

If it had some negative impact on evasion (if evasion still existed), or it cut your movement in half, or something. As is, it seems like you might as well be the duck-walking Rangers.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

The crouch functionality is really just a first pass. It is not really representative/balanced as we envision it for the final game.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius »

Brother None wrote:The crouch functionality is really just a first pass. It is not really representative/balanced as we envision it for the final game.
It's a good start. I like the *idea* of the feature, but not the current implementation. I'll keep my hopes up that it will somehow improve because as of right now, I don't like the extra click. I did see you can keep them in crouch and that actually bugged the hell out of me.....the crouch, walk, crouch when out of combat. It just seemed weird and I was actually manually selecting each character to uncrouch them outside of combat. I had assumed there was a movement penalty though in combat while crouch which is why I didn't want to start combat crouched already. So I guess I'll just keep my guys crouched now 100% of the time.

Also, it seems silly when your guys move into cover they crouch but aren't *really* crouched. I was surprised that I need to change stances on guys in cover to get the aim bonus, since visually they were already crouched.
Vault_13
Scholar

Post by Vault_13 »

Is it just me or loading time increased for everything that requires loading screen?
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Not enjoying the new inventory screen, nor especially the new character sheet.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Return to “Wasteland Series News & Announcements”