Update 38: Almost there, Almost there…

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 38: Almost there, Almost there…

Post by Brother None » November 6th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Update 38 speaks to the Wasteland 2 beta (not there yet) and Wasteland 1's re-release (gone gold)
Chris here to announce that our re-release of Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic has gone Gold and has been submitted to GOG.com and Steam for platform approval. If somehow you’re unfamiliar with Wasteland: this critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic role-playing game was first published in 1988, and broke new ground as one of the first cRPGs to have an open, reactive world with persistent consequences to your actions.

The year is 2087, eighty nine years after an all-out nuclear war transformed the Earth into a hellish landscape where survival is a daily struggle against thirst, hunger, radiation, raiders and mutants. You take control of a band of Rangers, sent out to investigate a series of disturbances in The Wasteland and soon uncover a vast threat to all that remains of mankind.

This old school cRPG offers turn-based combat and top-down exploration, as well as tons of mood-setting texts and a colorful variety of enemy portraits. As we talked about before, we have enhanced the re-release, first and foremost ensuring the game will run on modern machines and higher resolutions. Furthermore, the game has been expanded to offer a music track from Wasteland 2 composer Mark Morgan, integrated texts from the paragraph book and manual, and additional save game functionality. It also offers many optional overhauls such as uprezzed portraits, paragraph voice-over and a choice of playing the game upscaled, smoothed or in the original resolution.

All our backers – whether through Wasteland 2’s Kickstarter, as a late backer through Paypal, or if you got Wasteland 2 through your Torment pledge – will be getting a copy of Wasteland 1 for free. You will receive your key by logging into your account on the Ranger Center (or the equivalent Torment pledge management system). They will be available as soon as the game goes live on GOG.com and Steam, which could happen as early as Friday, and we'll email our backers then. Access will be limited to backers only initially. You will be able pick between getting either a Steam or GOG.com key, whichever is your preference.

To briefly elaborate on our last update’s notes on this re-release, we got a ton of feedback based on what we showed you about our Wasteland 1 tweaks. We spent some time implementing a number of the changes our community suggested; a toggle to turn smoothing off, implementing swappable portraits, tweaking portrait art options, in-game manual text on abilities, stats and skills and ensuring it works on Mac and Linux.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

TΛPETRVE
Master

Re: Update 38: Almost there, Almost there…

Post by TΛPETRVE » November 6th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Yay, something :D .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » November 6th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Probably rules out a beta release this week as well (my opinion only)

Looking forward to the "why didn't he give us a date" posts.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Nemo
Acolyte

Post by Nemo » November 6th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Take your time, take your time...

On another note, I never used Steam or GOG for Linux. What are the mechanics?

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » November 6th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Nemo wrote:Take your time, take your time...

On another note, I never used Steam or GOG for Linux. What are the mechanics?
I don't think GOG has official linux support at the moment.

Steam on Linux is pretty straight forward with mainstream distributions, download and install. Just did this myself for the first time last week, worked without a hitch on a base install of Mageia 3.

Lothai
Initiate

Post by Lothai » November 6th, 2013, 4:15 pm

I am happy with the news, on the other hand I have this feel: that the game will launch after spring :shock: . No hard feelings though, take your time to get it right!
Apples Survival Healthy
Songs Ants
Cities Angels Penuts
Obey Industrial Demons
Terra Rectum Action Key Potato Genitals

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 6th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Ronin73 wrote:Probably rules out a beta release this week as well (my opinion only)

Looking forward to the "why didn't he give us a date" posts.
No surprise about no date. Reading that though gives very little hope that we will see beta soon. I didn't feel "next week" from that post. I felt, "maybe this month".

We'll see I guess.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » November 6th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Lothai wrote:...on the other hand I have this feel: that the game will launch after spring :shock: .
Wouldn't be surprised if I got to play all the way through Dark Souls II before Wasteland 2 gets released :twisted: .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Rusknight
Acolyte

Post by Rusknight » November 6th, 2013, 4:54 pm

This update text sounds to me as if devs are not sure whether they are able to start Beta in November at all in fact, otherwise they could at least confirm the month if not the week. So I pesonally wouldn't expect Beta to be started really soon.

On the other hand, I don't care about this delay too much since I hope that devs have enough money to continue development further and I would prefer to get better game later than some crap today.

TheCycoONE
Initiate

Post by TheCycoONE » November 6th, 2013, 6:16 pm

There is some concern on the Kickstarter page about this announcement which I share. Those of us who want a DRM free Linux version seem to be out of luck because GOG doesn't support Linux. Could you look into a third option, perhaps Humble Store?

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Post by Montgomery Markland » November 6th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Rusknight wrote:This update text sounds to me as if devs are not sure whether they are able to start Beta in November at all in fact, otherwise they could at least confirm the month if not the week. So I pesonally wouldn't expect Beta to be started really soon.
I think there's a high degree of confidence in a relatively narrow window; that being said it's best not to try to predict the future in front of a live audience.
Rusknight wrote:On the other hand, I don't care about this delay too much since I hope that devs have enough money to continue development further and I would prefer to get better game later than some crap today.
We appreciate that sentiment!
TheCycoONE wrote:There is some concern on the Kickstarter page about this announcement which I share. Those of us who want a DRM free Linux version seem to be out of luck because GOG doesn't support Linux. Could you look into a third option, perhaps Humble Store?
We'll certainly investigate. This also might become moot later down the line depending on how exactly Linux Wasteland 2 DRM-free copies are distributed and whether those copies might include a DRM-free version of Wasteland 1.

You guys are just as important, and we'll do our best to provide a good solution.

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » November 6th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Desura is a possibility for the Linux release that is more DRM free than Steam. Not as DRM free as GOG where you get a self contained installer and no client but better than nothing.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » November 6th, 2013, 7:19 pm

"The Early Beta is not quite ready yet, but we are almost there. " ...

Thanks. No news at all then. Just another one of those phrases.

Pfffff... if you push it back so far that you feel the need to create a dedicated account, you could at least have brought us the bad news earlier.

Not to know if its more likely to be days, weeks or monthx SUCKS. :evil:

~ just very tired of waiting for yet another uncertain release ~
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Post by Montgomery Markland » November 6th, 2013, 7:28 pm

McDougle wrote:"The Early Beta is not quite ready yet, but we are almost there. " ...

Thanks. No news at all then. Just another one of those phrases.

Pfffff... if you push it back so far that you feel the need to create a dedicated account, you could at least have brought us the bad news earlier.

Not to know if its more likely to be days, weeks or monthx SUCKS. :evil:
The dedicated Twitter account is for early beta updates for when you already have the early beta.

For example, let's say we find a known issue that the game crashes if you talk to a particular NPC and choose a particular dialog option in one level.

If we don't communicate that known issue to the community on a lot of channels, we'll get dozens if not hundreds of reports of the same issue from the thousands of people in the early beta.

We'll be putting known issues in a variety of places and the early beta Twitter feed will be one of them. The feed will also be used for any early-beta specific news.

Obviously, we're still going to get a lot of duplicates; but things like the early beta twitter feed will help make it more manageable.

Setting up that feed and reorganizing the forums are things we wouldn't do unless we were getting close.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » November 6th, 2013, 7:47 pm

t-shirts done, W1 done, now more time to focus on W2 :D

pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous » November 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

SniperHF wrote:Desura is a possibility for the Linux release that is more DRM free than Steam. Not as DRM free as GOG where you get a self contained installer and no client but better than nothing.
If they intend to sell it DRM free that might make sense, if it was just DRM free only for the backers then it might be less expensive for inXile to host the game for a limited time.

sales101
Initiate

Post by sales101 » November 6th, 2013, 8:54 pm

Can't wait to relive part of my collage summer. Hurry up steam and set it up. Can you guys remake Ultima for me :D

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » November 6th, 2013, 9:32 pm

Well then, at least I can replay the first part from this weekend on. :)

Let's hope it keeps me occupied until the beta hits us. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Jukkahvi
Scholar

Post by Jukkahvi » November 6th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Alright! Time to play some Wastlenand - um 1?
OK!!

I dig your cautious aproach to launching the beta. I can wait. Hope stuff doesn't get nailed down too hard though. Aand there's that XCOM EW looming ahead, oh man. Might eat some playing time from me. . . who am I kidding, I'll play them both.

Congrats to new mods! May your modding be just and true. ;)

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » November 6th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Rusknight wrote:This update text sounds to me as if devs are not sure whether they are able to start Beta in November at all in fact, otherwise they could at least confirm the month if not the week. So I pesonally wouldn't expect Beta to be started really soon.
they already did this in October and failed, so i can understand why they won't give an exact date or even a month again until its really really done.

Think about what would happen if they say "hey, Beta starts mid/end november" and then something happens and they are forced to delay it again. ;)