Wasteland 2 Beta Status

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

TΛPETRVE
Master

Re: Wasteland 2 Beta Status

Post by TΛPETRVE » November 5th, 2013, 5:23 pm

It's been a while since we've been given an RPG that lets the players make their decisions simply on various tidbits of information they're being given rather than forcing them to choose from predefined options on every bloody corner. Quite ironic it took a game as heavy on combat and light on plot such as Dark Souls to do exactly that, if only in a rather limited fashion. There should be more games that lead unwitting players around by their noses and leave overused narrative elements such as "plot twists" for those to direct who are sly enough to find them on their own.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Shrade
Initiate

Post by Shrade » November 5th, 2013, 5:25 pm

@ Brother None

I am sorry if this has been answered somewhere, I was unable to locate it.

Do you have any idea if the beta will be released for all three platforms at the same time?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 5th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Shrade wrote:Do you have any idea if the beta will be released for all three platforms at the same time?
Probably not. It's not impossible but we can really only promise Windows PC version first, Mac/Linux is a matter of testing and we have very low visibility on it now. When we know more we'll speak to it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » November 5th, 2013, 5:44 pm

The plan is to distribute the beta for Windows PC, as we know we can get standalone builds to work in Windows. We have not forgotten about our Mac and Linux backers and will soon do some tests to try to get a standalone executable for those versions as well. Many months back we tried a Mac test in Unity and it built great with about 30 minutes of clean up. If history repeats itself, those versions will be available as well for the early beta (what’s the worst that can happen, right?).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... sts/618060

Shrade
Initiate

Post by Shrade » November 5th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Ok thank you both =)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 5th, 2013, 5:48 pm

For those of you (us) who are on the edge of y/our seats:

The Ranger Center database was updated today*, so inXile's information on who will receive beta keys is current. Evidently, they have to do this manually each time, so it seems unlikely that they'd buzz through it unless the beta release was imminent.

*How do I know this? I pledged for a beta upgrade the other day, but it didn't show on my RC account until today. I just received an email notification of the update. EDIT: Oh, and Brother None said so.

So ... beta soon, I think?

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » November 5th, 2013, 7:08 pm

@ BN, if you can comment -

If we're set up for a mac version will we still get a beta key? IE: If we were to want to play the beta on a PC until the mac version is ready will that be an option? Or will mac/linux users not get codes until our specified platform is ready?

Edit: Like, if my reward tier comes with 5 digital versions of the game, can I use one for the beta even if I have 'mac' selected in my Ranger center?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 5th, 2013, 7:14 pm

cunningandvalor wrote:If we're set up for a mac version will we still get a beta key? IE: If we were to want to play the beta on a PC until the mac version is ready will that be an option? Or will mac/linux users not get codes until our specified platform is ready?
We're distributing through Steam (Mac/Windows/Linux) and GOG (Mac/Windows) which have one-key multi-platform support. Once you own a copy on such a platform you own it for all platforms they support.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » November 5th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Brother None wrote:
cunningandvalor wrote:If we're set up for a mac version will we still get a beta key? IE: If we were to want to play the beta on a PC until the mac version is ready will that be an option? Or will mac/linux users not get codes until our specified platform is ready?
We're distributing through Steam (Mac/Windows/Linux) and GOG (Mac/Windows) which have one-key multi-platform support. Once you own a copy on such a platform you own it for all platforms they support.
You are the man. Thanks BN. :)

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 5th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Lucius wrote:I'm holding off playing other games becauae I know the beta is coming soon. I don't want to start a 60 hour game just to stop in a week because the beta has been released.
I just got Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness for GameCube. Seeing as I was abroad the past week and a half I haven't even gotten to those. I might as well check them out, although there's all this stuff on the DVR now....

bdo7
Acolyte

Post by bdo7 » November 5th, 2013, 9:06 pm

I'm sorry this is off-topic, but does anyone else's scroll wheel not work in THIS THREAD ONLY?

I've been surfing the web since it was first created, and since long before computer mice had scroll wheels, and this is the first time I've ever seen it not work on one Web page but work fine everywhere else.

If I hover my pointer over the actual vertical scroll bar, I can use the scroll wheel to move up and down the page, but if I'm pointing anywhere else, it doesn't do anything.

Sorry, sorry... I'm VERY excited to get news about the beta, but this is driving me INSANE.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 5th, 2013, 9:18 pm

bdo7 wrote:I'm sorry this is off-topic, but does anyone else's scroll wheel not work in THIS THREAD ONLY?
Mine works fine. That's incredibly weird. :lol:

Order
Acolyte

Post by Order » November 5th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Revolucas wrote:
paultakeda wrote:
SagaDC wrote:Kinda reminds me of what nagging girlfriends say, lol. What if they just don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said?
Or the girlfriend that offers you a blow job then laughs and claims she was joking. :oops:

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » November 6th, 2013, 12:44 am

Order wrote:Or the girlfriend that offers you a blow job then laughs and claims she was joking. :oops:
Still better than what you get from the competition:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/11834 ... dy-blowjob :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » November 6th, 2013, 3:27 am

paultakeda wrote:I just got Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness for GameCube. Seeing as I was abroad the past week and a half I haven't even gotten to those. I might as well check them out, although there's all this stuff on the DVR now....
...play dat shit NAO :ugeek: !
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » November 6th, 2013, 5:03 am

paultakeda wrote:
Lucius wrote:I'm holding off playing other games becauae I know the beta is coming soon. I don't want to start a 60 hour game just to stop in a week because the beta has been released.
I just got Killer 7 and Eternal Darkness for GameCube. Seeing as I was abroad the past week and a half I haven't even gotten to those. I might as well check them out, although there's all this stuff on the DVR now....
dude KILLER 7 is one of the very best games ever made, if you havnt played it yet you are very lucky since there is this total gem waiting for you to be played. i recommend using a projector on a big white wall! maybe the most surprising, mature and artful game i ever played, a unique masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln7MBdwH3SM

...play dat shit NAO :ugeek: !

Lothai
Initiate

Post by Lothai » November 6th, 2013, 6:20 am

In its current status, I suppose, beta will provide enough feedback for InXile to work for about a season or more. I don't expect the game to be released before Q2 2014 at least... :<
Apples Survival Healthy
Songs Ants
Cities Angels Penuts
Obey Industrial Demons
Terra Rectum Action Key Potato Genitals

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » November 6th, 2013, 7:20 am

Thank you, InXile for not forgetting about your Mac/Linux beta backers! Hopefully it'll go smoothly and we won't be lagging too far behind the Windows folks!
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

Teirna
Initiate

Post by Teirna » November 6th, 2013, 11:51 am

I just upgraded my donation by 20$ to allow me to participate in the beta, does this update my account automatically or does it have to be done manually like the original donations are handled when added to the ranger database?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » November 6th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Teirna wrote:I just upgraded my donation by 20$ to allow me to participate in the beta, does this update my account automatically or does it have to be done manually like the original donations are handled when added to the ranger database?
I believe it has to be done manually. They just did a pass yesterday to get caught up on all the new pledges since August. I'm guessing that they'll do another pass just before the beta release.