Rock Paper Shotgun previews Wasteland 2

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Ronin73
Master

Re: Rock Paper Shotgun previews Wasteland 2

Post by Ronin73 » August 1st, 2013, 3:44 pm

Bwhahaha Combat Shooting makes a return! I love it! :lol:

Great preview and I thought the skill descriptions were great, but I have to ask why this wasn't given to backers in an update before it was given to the media? I also have to take issue with the writers concern on Brute Force and Demolitions being redundant. There is just a certain logic that demolitions is going to remove objects that brute force most likely never will, unless it's ridiculously high. I'll also go out on limb and suggest that demolitions will play a role in throwing explosive charges, like grenades.

I also like Chris Keenan's comment on generic AI and their focus on crafting encounters, so you do get a mixture of dumb asses, like the described first encounter and then smarter foes who will use tactics in other situations. Good stuff.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » August 1st, 2013, 6:30 pm

The RPS stuff is great. It's definitely getting me hyped for the game!

...and the Tony Robbins thing is hilarious.

Ranger1
Scholar

Post by Ranger1 » August 1st, 2013, 6:48 pm

The Ronald Reagan cult better be smoking chesterfields

http://imgur.com/a/ru3JW

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 1st, 2013, 8:55 pm

Ronin73 wrote:so you do get a mixture of dumb asses, and then smarter foes
Now that you mention it, I'm a little sad that there isn't a Dumb Ass skill to go with Hard Ass, Smart Ass and Kiss Ass ... Dumb Asses do have a great ability to reduce social situations to their basic elements that the others sometimes lack ...

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » August 1st, 2013, 11:12 pm

Zombra wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:so you do get a mixture of dumb asses, and then smarter foes
Now that you mention it, I'm a little sad that there isn't a Dumb Ass skill to go with Hard Ass, Smart Ass and Kiss Ass ... Dumb Asses do have a great ability to reduce social situations to their basic elements that the others sometimes lack ...
Indeed. There are a great many of situations in which 'less talking more smashing' yields desirable results.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

bdo7
Acolyte

Post by bdo7 » August 2nd, 2013, 1:30 am

...true! And on a serious note, Fallout (or was it FO2? Or both?) allowed you to have a totally different experience if you played it with an Intelligence of 1. I mean, all the dialogue in the game changed. Think about how much work that represents for what is essentially a gag / Easter egg. I wonder if WL2 will react to abnormally high / low player stats like that.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » August 2nd, 2013, 4:27 am

Combat Shooting makes it's return.

And this time, it really does something.

Magnificent. 8-)

The Tony Robbins cult is too cool.

Everything else mentioned in there was pretty much mouthwatering. October can't get here soon enough...
25 years and it's finally here...

AuronBlake
Novice

Post by AuronBlake » August 2nd, 2013, 5:25 am

Really great preview, i can't wait to see it in action :)

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 2nd, 2013, 6:33 am

Good to see that toaster repair is envisioned as a very literal meaning
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 2nd, 2013, 8:16 am

Crosmando wrote:Good to see that toaster repair is envisioned as a very literal meaning
Nice catch! It really is good. Last year, a lot of posters were talking about building robots and jury-rigged rocket launchers, hacking communications equipment and reprogramming computers. I'm relieved that Toaster Repair just lets you repair toasters!

--------------

A few notable differences between the RPS skill list and the Gamestar skill list ...

Gamestar shows Savoire-Faire instead of Kiss Ass ... I prefer Savoire-Faire; it's more flattering to the Ranger who practices it.

RPS shows Smart Ass instead of Gamestar's BS Detector, a reskin of Detect Lie from Kickstarter update #20. Smart Ass would have very different implications; one envisions a Ranger who mouths off a lot, and who calls bullshit right out when it surfaces, instead of merely taking note of it and proceeding accordingly.

Barter is not mentioned in the RPS article, but is mentioned by Gamestar. An error during the RPS interview, or are inXile thinking of omitting the skill?

Combat Shooting is not mentioned in the Gamestar article, but RPS does talk about it, somewhat hilariously. Is this for real? It might be equally funny for them to hype the skill and then have it not appear in the game. Although I guess party poopers would shrilly complain, demand their money back, etc.
Last edited by Zombra on August 2nd, 2013, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 2nd, 2013, 8:47 am

Zombra wrote:
Crosmando wrote:Good to see that toaster repair is envisioned as a very literal meaning
Nice catch! It really is good. Last year, a lot of posters were talking about building robots and jury-rigged rocket launchers, hacking communications equipment and reprogramming computers. I'm relieved that Toaster Repair just lets you repair toasters!

I figured the only alternate for what they are doing would be that toasters all got fried during the nuclear holocaust due to electromagnetism or something, so if you have this mythical skill and you find an NPC who owns a toaster, you repair it and they pay you (or you get xp). But the rare loot thing is good too.
--------------
A few notable differences between the RPS skill list and the Gamestar skill list ...

Gamestar shows Savoire-Faire instead of Kiss Ass ... I prefer Savoire-Faire; it's more flattering to the Ranger who practices it.

RPS shows Smart Ass instead of Gamestar's BS Detector, a reskin of Detect Lie from Kickstarter update #20. Smart Ass would have very different implications; one envisions a Ranger who mouths off a lot, and who calls bullshit right out when it surfaces, instead of merely taking note of it and proceeding accordingly.

Barter is not mentioned in the RPS article, but is mentioned by Gamestar. An error during the RPS interview, or are inXile thinking of omitting the skill?

Combat Shooting is not mentioned in the Gamestar article, but RPS does talk about it, somewhat hilariously. Is this for real? It might be equally funny for them to hype the skill and then have it not appear in the game. Although I guess party poopers would shrilly complain, demand their money back, etc.
That's what I've been saying about the skill list being clarified. I assume WL2 is now at the stage when all the gameplay mechanics are locked in, it would be nice to get it cleared up with a definitive skill list with corresponding descriptions. Too much confusion.
Last edited by Crosmando on August 2nd, 2013, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » August 2nd, 2013, 8:50 am

the preview left me sceptical. i am not overly hyped for W2 to believe all the promises made. after 30 years of gaming i have heard it all from all kinda people and its always the same:

"we love our game, we put so much work into making it the best game we have done so far. all systems (when finally done!) will fluently serve only the purest form of entertanment in a world bigger as anything we have done before. we have over X-thousand pages of dialogue and a multi-responsive super new AI that our AI-Team made from scratch (and they are working on 24/7). we really give 120% everyday to make the best gaming experience, unique and unbelievably satisfying. have i told you about the uncountable endings and the multi-membrane NPC filter? its the newest invention by our leaddesigner kevine brettner, it makes complete use of any memory size up to 12 terraflops bandwith. we dont support ps4 though because we are completely focused on getting the linux version done first. the replayability is at its best indefinite but at least worth 46hours of gameplay. without any loading screens thanks to the multi-membrane NPC filter ive talked about before.
we would never lie to you because you mean the world to us, the gamer is what its all about, and when you think about it, arent we all gamers anyway? you , me and your mom? release date? seriously, i have no idea. we are done when the game is ready, when we have put all that magic inside and sprinkled it with just the perfect amount of awesome."

in the end all the "great" achievements are used as arguments to cover the multiple shortcomings, as always. and whats left is the ordinary mediocracy and they do not even have to necessarily lie to fail.

please prove me wrong inxile, but you guys, dont believe the hype. (GTA V excluded of course)

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 2nd, 2013, 9:14 am

You know your big speech about mediocrity kinda falls apart when you mention the GTA series, which is the pinnacle of mediocrity.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 2nd, 2013, 9:15 am

Great post snake :lol:

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » August 2nd, 2013, 11:49 am

Some of the hype does sound hard to believe.

bdo7
Acolyte

Post by bdo7 » August 2nd, 2013, 11:58 am

When I was reading that, my mind was inexorably drawn to Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines, for some reason....

Ironically, the term "snake oil" derives from exactly this kind of presentation, haha. Everyone throws their money and the scoundrel packs up and leaves in the middle of the night before the mob shows up to complain the next morning.

To be fair, though, most game developers who talk that way usually mean what they say. They really ARE doing their best to make their dream game. Look at Curt Schilling and Kingdoms of Amalur: he hired his favorite creative people in the whole world to make that game for him. He poured everything he had into it, so much so that he lost his shirt and the game failed to pay for itself. And the result was... well, an OK game. It was HIS perfect game, but not EVERYONE'S perfect game.

Another reason so many of those hyped-up games fail to be any good is that the publishers step in and ruin it, either by throttling creativity or by forcing a deadline before the game is finished. That is clearly not a danger for Wasteland 2 - no publisher, no problem. This is where crowdfunding really shines.

As long as we understand that this won't be the exact same game that each of us would design if we had 100% control of it ourselves, that it's a game made by other (very talented) people, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

If, on the other hand, you're the kind of person to stomp off in a snit because something YOU like was dropped, or something YOU wanted didn't make it in, well... you won't be happy with this game or anything else in life.

In short, chillax. I promise this will be better than a mass-marketed turd like Grand Theft of Duty Field 7. ;)

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » August 2nd, 2013, 1:11 pm

There's the problem that people hype the game-up so much that it can't meet those expectations, Star Wars did this. Snakeoil is just keeping people grounded.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » August 2nd, 2013, 1:40 pm

If they game comes close to the complexity of branching paths that they are saying, imagine how complicated the wiki is going to be haha!

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » August 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm

I would like to add that my new criterion for a game is whether or not it has a cult based on Tony Robbins. If it does not, then that game fucking sucks.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » August 2nd, 2013, 3:31 pm

snakeoil wrote:the preview left me sceptical. i am not overly hyped for W2
Yeah, I get that expectations need to be tempered, but no offense, you haven't exactly given the appearance of being "hyped" since the first day you posted here.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo