Rock Paper Shotgun previews Wasteland 2

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Rock Paper Shotgun previews Wasteland 2

Post by Brother None » July 30th, 2013, 2:15 pm

Rock Paper Shotgun recently visited inXile's studio and will have multiple pieces of coverage. First up, reactivity.
“On the biggest level,” Fargo continued, “there will be areas that will be completely different. Gone, destroyed. There’s not one just like it to make up for it. It’s just gone.”

“And we show the reactivity,” Keenan said. “If you go to one area, you start to hear radio calls from the other. They’re getting taken over, and if you try to veer back, you see the destruction from that, and they’re in a completely different state. For instance, if you’re too late to a call, maybe robots took it out. If you go there, you’re gonna see carnage. Piles of dead bodies. No robots left to kill because they’ve moved on.”

The fact that Kickstarter chipped in nearly three times the game’s original budget hasn’t hurt, either. In fact, it’s enabled Fargo and co’s “risky” behaviors in multiple ways, allowing for a rather massive boost in scope and ensuring that the game’s already paid for. Sales are just an (admittedly very nice) bonus.

“We over-funded,” Fargo boasted, beaming. “I don’t make any money from this. Me, I want to make a game that people talk about the way they do Fallout and Wasteland, 10 or 20 years from now. I’m only focused on that and what I have to do to make sure it hits all the points I know work for the game.”

He then fast-balled further examples. What if, for instance, you disobey Ranger orders to the point of becoming a liability? You become a pariah. Your own organization turns on you, hunts you. The entire game changes. And then, of course, there’s the extra-colossal, radiation-mutated elephant in the room: you can kill anyone, anytime. And sometimes – for example, if a party member won’t stop selling your stuff for booze money – you might have to.

“Remember: you can shoot or kill anybody in the whole game,” Fargo interjected. “That in itself [is huge]. If someone joins your party, you can kick them out, kill them, whatever you want. There’s whole sequences you’re not gonna see later because you offed the guy. We just deal with it. There’s no replacement – no NPC that joins you and acts just like him functionally. He’s out. You’re just not gonna see it.”
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Tets
Master

Re: Rock Paper Shotgun previews Wasteland 2

Post by Tets » July 30th, 2013, 2:53 pm

nice :D

Zaphod
Scholar

Post by Zaphod » July 30th, 2013, 4:03 pm

It is interesting that Brian is talking about your rangers potentially becoming pariahs and Ranger HQ turning on them. Looks like that is or will be in game now. This is relatively new. It was brought up in the 'Ask a Dev' forum and at that time the dev responding thought it would be unlikely that would make it into the game. Very nice.

clippedwolf
Scholar

Post by clippedwolf » July 30th, 2013, 4:11 pm

If an NPC falls in the middle of desert and no one (else) is around to hear it, does the game react differently?

lava3d
Acolyte

Post by lava3d » July 30th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Goodbye social life, hello multiple playthroughs.

Edit:
Note to myself: Never ever post drunk again. EVER!

guiskj
Initiate

Post by guiskj » July 31st, 2013, 12:49 pm

At this point I am left wondering if I have any realistic expectations left for this game as I thoroughly expect it to be the best game I have ever played...

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » July 31st, 2013, 3:05 pm

It sounds more similar to mutant invasions in Fallout 1 only on a more systemic level and grander scale then any of the other examples given in the piece.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 31st, 2013, 7:40 pm

About half the game, most people will never see. We’re not afraid at all to create content that’s off the critical path or can be closed off permanently.
I love it. And I love that they're listening to their testers. "Hey, why can't I blow up this door?" Being able to add reactivity up until the end because they don't have to worry about VA for the illiterate is wonderful.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » July 31st, 2013, 11:44 pm

Drool wrote:
About half the game, most people will never see. We’re not afraid at all to create content that’s off the critical path or can be closed off permanently.
I love it. And I love that they're listening to their testers. "Hey, why can't I blow up this door?" Being able to add reactivity up until the end because they don't have to worry about VA for the illiterate is wonderful.
Amen to that.

That was one of the things that made the original great. Blow up Hobo Dog, can't buy Hobo Dogs anymore. Pick the lock on Laurie's room or blow it up, either end up taking your chances with pissed off Laurie OR risk killing her outright, in which case, you don't get her info or the much needed munitions she gives you. Jump on John Citrine's cot without Dan Citrine in the party, John bolts and bye-bye one thousand bucks. There's other examples of stuff that's probably more relevant to the game, but I can't think of them off the bat.
25 years and it's finally here...

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » July 31st, 2013, 11:47 pm

Drool wrote:
Indeed. It's an approach that has been lost on modern gaming that's for sure.

I guess the nest question is how much of the game going to be beta tested? I hope it's not too much, because I just know I will end up ruining it for myself :(
Son of Max wrote: Jump on John Citrine's cot without Dan Citrine in the party, John bolts and bye-bye one thousand bucks.
Heh, I'm almost certain I never kept Dan Citrine in my party long enough to do this. Can you fill in the blanks for me?

Still finding out something new about Wasteland after all this time :)
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » August 1st, 2013, 1:02 am

Ronin73 wrote:
Son of Max wrote: Jump on John Citrine's cot without Dan Citrine in the party, John bolts and bye-bye one thousand bucks.
Heh, I'm almost certain I never kept Dan Citrine in my party long enough to do this. Can you fill in the blanks for me?

Indeed!

Okay, when you first get into the courthouse, free Dan Citrine. Okay, got Dan Citrine in the party? Good. Head upstairs to the third floor and go into the big cell beneath the one you get Mayor Pedros out of. Go to the cot at the bottom of the cell and walk on it. When you do that, if Dan's in the party (and alive) John Citrine will give you a cool grand.

It took me a while to figure that one out, as, the first few times I played the game, I went straight up to the third floor and opened all the cells and when I'd step on the cot, I'd just get the 'A man leaps out of the bed. Before you can react, he runs out of the cell.' and had no idea how to stop him or talk to him or anything.

Then, I was playing a much more thorough game and went to the second floor first, freed Dan, went up to the third, went into the cell (totally expecting the guy to bolt again) and when I stepped on the cot, I got 'A man leaps out of the bed. Thanks for rescuing me, son. Here's the money. I must run now.'

It's pretty cool, and it's a pretty easy thousand bucks, if you build your party just right.
25 years and it's finally here...

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 1st, 2013, 1:11 am

guiskj wrote:At this point I am left wondering if I have any realistic expectations left for this game as I thoroughly expect it to be the best game I have ever played...
I know. It's insane. This was another great preview, where everything I read just got me more excited. Nothing can live up to the crazy expectations that are building, but I have no doubt that I'll have a great month or two obsessing on playing W2.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 1st, 2013, 1:24 am

Zombra wrote:
guiskj wrote:At this point I am left wondering if I have any realistic expectations left for this game as I thoroughly expect it to be the best game I have ever played...
I know. It's insane. This was another great preview, where everything I read just got me more excited. Nothing can live up to the crazy expectations that are building, but I have no doubt that I'll have a great month or two obsessing on playing W2.
I am trying very hard to not think like that. I tend to find when I think like that, I get disappointed. I am Cautiously optimistic.... Ok maybe a bit more than that... But you know... :D
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » August 1st, 2013, 4:53 am

Son of Max wrote:
Ronin73 wrote:

Indeed!

Okay, when you first get into the courthouse, free Dan Citrine. Okay, got Dan Citrine in the party? Good. Head upstairs to the third floor and go into the big cell beneath the one you get Mayor Pedros out of. Go to the cot at the bottom of the cell and walk on it. When you do that, if Dan's in the party (and alive) John Citrine will give you a cool grand.

It took me a while to figure that one out, as, the first few times I played the game, I went straight up to the third floor and opened all the cells and when I'd step on the cot, I'd just get the 'A man leaps out of the bed. Before you can react, he runs out of the cell.' and had no idea how to stop him or talk to him or anything.

Then, I was playing a much more thorough game and went to the second floor first, freed Dan, went up to the third, went into the cell (totally expecting the guy to bolt again) and when I stepped on the cot, I got 'A man leaps out of the bed. Thanks for rescuing me, son. Here's the money. I must run now.'

It's pretty cool, and it's a pretty easy thousand bucks, if you build your party just right.
Ah, nice! I remember letting that guy on many occasions, but never for a second thought that guy might do anything other than run out that door every time I opened it.

Nice catch :)
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Slim_Jim
Initiate

Post by Slim_Jim » August 1st, 2013, 9:40 am

Er… Could anyone kindly explain that passage about witcher 2, 427 nobel prizes and billion-headed hydra? ‘Cause, you know, I’m trying to translate that one, and its sense eludes me.

Zaphod
Scholar

Post by Zaphod » August 1st, 2013, 10:47 am

Slim_Jim wrote:Er… Could anyone kindly explain that passage about witcher 2, 427 nobel prizes and billion-headed hydra? ‘Cause, you know, I’m trying to translate that one, and its sense eludes me.
It's an exaggeration for humorous effect. The 'The Witcher 2' got a lot of gaming awards, and it was an Action RPG that had a branching storyline with mutually exclusive content that varied depending on choices the player makes. The Hydra is a mythical monster that has many heads, so it is an allusion to the branching story in TW2.

Also, see attached link for description of humour. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour

Slim_Jim
Initiate

Post by Slim_Jim » August 1st, 2013, 11:16 am

Thank you, that link's very interesting. Oh, and the explanation too, of course. Just another little question - are you the very genuine Zaphod Beeblebrox? If so, please tell me, how much time do I have before, you know, I have to grab my towel and look for escape from this planet?

Zaphod
Scholar

Post by Zaphod » August 1st, 2013, 12:02 pm

Slim_Jim wrote:Thank you, that link's very interesting. Oh, and the explanation too, of course. Just another little question - are you the very genuine Zaphod Beeblebrox? If so, please tell me, how much time do I have before, you know, I have to grab my towel and look for escape from this planet?
Well I just checked with the planning department, and apparently your planetary system was scheduled to be destroyed on the 21st of December 2012. Looks like their computer system screwed up and the constructor fleet wasn't budgeted for, so the entire intergalactic hyperway project has been delayed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, we'll reschedule the demolition of your planetary system as soon as possible.

Regards,
Galactic President,
Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » August 1st, 2013, 1:55 pm

Kiss Ass, Hard Ass, and Smart Ass – “Those are some temp names for conversation, different ways of dealing with people in conversations.”
:D

preview sounds nice :)