Update 32: Making the Date

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 32: Making the Date

Post by Brother None » July 19th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Update 32 talks production schedule: the game's delayed, the beta is coming in October. Also, GamesCom plans and a new piece of art.
As this tremendous amount of content comes together, we get to the artistry of making a game. I will soon be able to truly experience the game to get a sense of mood, timing, balance, variety, reactivity, strategic thinking and overall fun. The first phase of this will involve getting it into the hands of a few select players so we can analyze what we have and hone in on the right elements. And once we have made several passes at this phase we will open it up for our beta testers to get reactions and help us further hone the experience.

We plan to begin beta testing in October.

You have helped make this game a reality and you will be with us to the end in shaping the final piece through your comments. The best moments in a reactive RPG come during this phase, which provides for touches and details that could have never all been captured in the upfront design. The beta testing will be critical to help us hone in on finalizing a game that can become a classic. And with your help and input we will release the game when it’s ready.

Thanks to this new crowd sourced model of game production we have the luxury of working on a game that won’t be rushed out the door. Under the old process we would often have either retail or a publisher pressuring us to ship a game before we were happy with it. Or the more draconian measure of being sued or having the game handed to another developer to finish, (yes those clauses are fairly common) if we wanted to spend more time polishing our little gem… fortunately we have NONE of this.

Once the beta testing begins in October and once we have enough feedback from testing, we can evaluate where we’re at and set a new release date. By that stage, over ten thousand of our backers will have gotten to play the game with us. In the end, quality comes before everything and fortunately the backers have been in line with us to make sure we get it right.

We are still having a blast making Wasteland 2 and we thank you again for entrusting us to work in a matter that will allow us to deliver to our vision and quality standards.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Update 32: Making the Date

Post by Zombra » July 19th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Augh! Delays! Now I have to reschedule my whole life. :P

Oh well, still looking forward to the best game ever. Keep up the good work inXile.

-------------

EDIT: ... And having actually read the update, I am more excited than ever about this game. Brian, you know exactly what to say to make me proud to have been a part of this project from the beginning. (A small part, but still a part.) Thank you, inXile, for inviting us on this voyage.

Maybe I shouldn't build up my expectations, but I am looking forward to a game that will have as great an impact on me as my all-time favorites, such as System Shock 2, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, and Vampire: Bloodlines. Those may seem like weird examples to compare to Wasteland 2, unless you look at the writing, characterization, and invitation to emotional investment that they feature.

I'm simply overjoyed that inXile has been able to do this the right way, and make a game without compromise. Am I a fool to have emotional reactions to video games? Does that make me childish? Maybe, but nevertheless, sometimes they honestly move me. I dare say, I look forward to Wasteland 2 as a true work of art.

-------------

EDIT EDIT: And oh yeah, I wanted to say that the Centron looks FUCKING BAD ASS. I love it! Best character art yet?
Last edited by Zombra on July 19th, 2013, 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

namelessxx
Acolyte

Post by namelessxx » July 19th, 2013, 2:10 pm

gotta be honest, im a little bit disappointed, but its not entirely unexpected. everything else sounds really freakin awesome, and i guess minecraft will just have to hold me over until october. keep up the great work guys!
Proud Wasteland 2 backer! (post-kickstarter)

boldan28
Initiate

Post by boldan28 » July 19th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Makes sense, the original budget was for a $1 million game shipping in Oct, now it's a $3 million game.

Hopefully the game will hit stores before Christmas so inexile will recoup their losses :lol:

Man it must feel different to not have that date hanging over your head like every other game dev out there.....

Seriously though was there anybody that did not see this coming?

Make the most awesome RPG ever made, and in 5 years no one will remember if it was late coming out the door. Much better than having to wait years for a decent fan-developed patch to get made that fixes all the original bugs (new vegas anyone? Arcanum, much? Fallout 2, for that matter??)

Honestly, if WL2 is not noticeably buggy/broken upon release, that alone would place it in pretty lonely company among true RPG's. If it happens to be an enormous, sprawling game on top of that, well then even more so. You've got the financial freedom to take the time that is needed, as long as the budget isn't exceeded. Use it to make the best game eva.

Etagloc
Novice

Post by Etagloc » July 19th, 2013, 2:21 pm

http://www.myinstants.com/instant/noooo/
i told myself i wouldn't cry today...
tolate :,,,(

john irwin finster
Acolyte

Post by john irwin finster » July 19th, 2013, 2:30 pm

This is actually really good news. They had a lot more funding than expected, and they're taking the time to invest it into an even better game, rather than just pushing out whatever they have based on a ship date. Take your time guys, and make it epic!

Felixg91
Adventurer

Post by Felixg91 » July 19th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Okay bad news delays? really well that sucks? Your freaking killing me smalls! But everything happens for a reason.

well whatta are ya gonna do? on the plus side at least they didnt cancel the game and it will still be awesome when we get it.

At least they told us 3 months early as well, cant stand it when the facts are kept from the concerned parties.

now they just need to get my account reactivated and add the 90$ to my pledge so I am truly down for $150 tier Level.
which in my opinion is well worth the money and maybe more, I feel justified in spending that much (more than I ever spent on a game in my life) because I have faith in Brian Fargo, Inxile and this concept.

okay having gotten over the shock and dissapointment, I fully back not rushing it out the door ( great point), excellant decision and probably one that they didnt wanna make, but thats the right answer, you get what you pay for.

Godspeed!
Last edited by Felixg91 on July 19th, 2013, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » July 19th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I am happy to know that you guys are proud of your product and are going to delay the game instead of forcing this gem out of the door unpolished. All that matters is the best possible experience for us fans.

Keep up the good work! :D
Leader inXile wrote:You have helped make this game a reality and you will be with us to the end in shaping the final piece through your comments.
Fix the inventory and make it grid- or slot-based. ;)

(Can't blame me for trying ^^)

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » July 19th, 2013, 3:01 pm

This was to be expected - it takes time to make a worthy sequel to wasteland. No hard feelings from my side. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » July 19th, 2013, 3:12 pm

While the delay is unfortunate, quality should indeed be the top priority. For all of us that pledged for the beta, we'll still kinda get to play it around the same time. I have all the faith in the world that Fargo and team will deliver an RPG truly epic in scope as they have promised.

With Shadowrun Returns launching next week I know a lot of pledgers for that game have been concerned about the campaign only being 10-12 hours long. Fortunately, that game is about the level editor and the masses will create the awesome Shadowrun content that will absorb plenty of time until Wasteland comes out. Wasteland is all about the campaign, and I appreciate the team taking the time to make sure it is gigantic and spectacular and infinitely replayable.

In my opinion: they should take all the time they need.
Last edited by cunningandvalor on July 19th, 2013, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » July 19th, 2013, 3:19 pm

really great news! you guys do a great job, keep up the good work, looking forward to october :D

Sarkus
Initiate

Post by Sarkus » July 19th, 2013, 3:22 pm

No surprise with the date. Though I have been wondering about the lack (AFAIK) of any updates about the "early" novellas and other rewards that I was expecting to see before release.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » July 19th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I would have been more surprised if the game was scheduled to be shipped on time. October was a little later than I was hoping for beta, but I don't think it will be a big deal for the majority of the backers, who will be more than happy to make sure inXile gets it right. Still, it was good to read the progress that has been made and it still sounds like a lot of progress has been made.

Absolutely LOVE the Centron Deluxe Model. It just might be my favorite piece of in game art so far! I was a little concerned that they would not be making a return when the robot survey went up a few months back, but it's great to see them back.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth » July 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

I pretty much figured on a delay, so I'm not terribly put out. Hopefully won't take too terribly long. At least it isn't like when Oblivion came out: was due out in November, then at the last minute they pushed it back to March, and the game is still pretty much meh.

The Centron Deluxe Model is creepy as hell. I approve :)

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » July 19th, 2013, 5:10 pm

I'm not surprised. Eighteen months was always a little optimistic, IMHO.

I am, however, genuinely happy for the delay. Not just because a higher-quality product is always good, but because my backlog is huge anyway. I find myself kind of puzzled by people who are sad about delays, these days. I mean, I get it, obviously; the fact that I actually cried when the original Xbox's first Ninja Gaiden game was delayed should say something about how I used to react to delays. But as I've learned more about the business, and as my backlog has ballooned (CURSE YOU, HUMBLE BUNDLES AND STEAM SALES!), I've gotten to the point where I'm like, "Oh, good, I have time to finish such-and-such!" :lol:

Art looks badass, can't wait for the beta.

@Zombra:

I treat all games as art. Some people separate entertainment from art, but I disagree. I define art as "something created with an intent beyond the satisfaction of a necessity (food, housing, etc.)," and consider entertainment a subset of art. Human beings can live without entertainment, and the intent to entertain is as valid an intent as the intent to convey a political point or talk about the human condition. I believe it's the height of snobbery to insist that entertainment is not "nourishing," because it is. A thing that makes you happy is nourishing whether or not it is lofty. There are more "important," "meaningful" movies than, say, The Avengers, but The Avengers makes me happy every time I watch it. Life is too shitty as a rule to deny things that make one happy artistic legitimacy simply because they didn't talk about the plight of the working poor, or whatever.

Being moved by a video game isn't any more "childish" than being moved by a book or a movie. The only reason it can feel that way sometimes is because the derision of cultural elites can make you question the legitimacy of your own taste.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » July 19th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Hey, that's not what a Centron Deluxe Model is supposed to look like. Not according to the first encounter with them:
Wasteland Decryptor wrote:A group of glittering metal and flesh centaurs gallop out to engage you!
Visible at 90 ft
Can attack from 90 ft
1-3 Centron Deluxe Models
Use proper name
Hostile
(Replace with Servo motor (1))
Centaurs. That gallop. Not trikes that roll. And while the wimpy Tazels in the sewers also used the same graphic, I don't think they were trikes either: "A nightmare of metal scuttles out toward you. Metal spines bristle on its tail and shoot out at you!" (I'm pretty sure that text was followed by the appearance of a Tazel.)

But the image in this update sure looks like one mighty intimidating Cybertrike, or a Turbo Cybertrike. I can understand that the old game didn't have proper graphics for every creature, but now you're making me think that you just don't know/care what those sewer cyborgs actually looked like. You know, beyond the graphics. The Tronnosaurus graphic didn't look like a "mountain of reptilian terror" either. And Cyclons are cyberwolves, apparently: "A wolfish howl crackles into synthesized static as cyberwolves scramble from their lair and attack." (In case you're going to have those in the game.)

So how about calling a trike a trike, and save the centrons for Wasteland 3 if 3D models of actual centaurs would cost too much? :?

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » July 19th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Sounds good. And for "epic scale" I can wait another year even easily.
Still, one concern that you still didn't put to rest is with all the talks about reactivity will you take away the most immediate one? Yes, I'm talking about persistent bodies. And I prefer answer, not discussion.
Am I a fool to have emotional reactions to video games? Does that make me childish?
No. The whole "adult" thingy is highly overrated anyway.
Seriously though was there anybody that did not see this coming?
For me it was only a matter of time. I was starting to get worried they didn't delayed it yet, that would have mean they cut down scope to meet deadline ^_^
With Shadowrun Returns launching next week I know a lot of pledgers for that game have been concerned about the campaign only being 10-12 hours long.
Also being linear.
Fortunately, that game is about the level editor and the masses will create the awesome Shadowrun content that will absorb plenty of time until Wasteland comes out.
I'm not so sure but we'll see. I know fans gonna tear me apart but with editor that don't have any import of custom content, not only campaign but editor too feels halfassed. I still hope this game will surprise me but can't help but feel my first meet with Shadowrun universe going to be much less pleasant than I expected.

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » July 19th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Least shocking news ever?
cunningandvalor wrote: With Shadowrun Returns launching next week I know a lot of pledgers for that game have been concerned about the campaign only being 10-12 hours long.
I think that was more a matter of expectations. SRR got substantially less money than WL2, Torment, or PE. My disappointment was in the systems more so than the campaign length.

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » July 19th, 2013, 6:16 pm

if i may throw my vote in for the teaser video location, i would like to see the prison you mentioned.

I'm not worried at all about the delay, i am actually glad your taking your time to do it right.
Mostly harmless.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » July 19th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Gillsing wrote:Hey, that's not what a Centron Deluxe Model is supposed to look like. Not according to the first encounter with them:
Wasteland Decryptor wrote:A group of glittering metal and flesh centaurs gallop out to engage you!
Visible at 90 ft
Can attack from 90 ft
Use proper name
Hostile
(Replace with Servo motor (1))
Centaurs. That gallop. Not trikes that roll. And while the wimpy Tazels in the sewers also used the same graphic, I don't think they were trikes either: "A nightmare of metal scuttles out toward you. Metal spines bristle on its tail and shoot out at you!" (I'm pretty sure that text was followed by the appearance of a Tazel.)

But the image in this update sure looks like one mighty intimidating Cybertrike, or a Turbo Cybertrike. I can understand that the old game didn't have proper graphics for every creature, but now you're making me think that you just don't know/care what those sewer cyborgs actually looked like. You know, beyond the graphics. The Tronnosaurus graphic didn't look like a "mountain of reptilian terror" either. And Cyclons are cyberwolves, apparently: "A wolfish howl crackles into synthesized static as cyberwolves scramble from their lair and attack." (In case you're going to have those in the game.)

So how about calling a trike a trike, and save the centrons for Wasteland 3 if 3D models of actual centaurs would cost too much? :?
It should be also noted that Brian once called Bobby, Billy.

As you say with all the the graphic similarities that the original had it's easy to confuse them. Even I only remembered the Centron Deluxe Model as a trike.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo