Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

kopi
Novice

Re: Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Post by kopi » May 31st, 2013, 3:52 am

Oh my god this interface looks butt-ugly. Really, it looks like the work of someone who has never done this before, who has no sense of style and consistency.

Those green bars with the health numbers feel out of place, they pollute the whole scene .

The inventory screen looks like three different styles have been cluttered together - and they all hate each other.
No more of that ugly green though, that's a good thing.

The text of the player names is too small in relation to their available space. The font looks too boring, modern. The icons look bland. All those rectangles around the icons are too emphasized. Can't you work with variant light intensity of this yellow? The tabs have black markers inside the markers of the attached sheet metal, ugh .. (the text is too small also. Everywhere!)

What's up with that pop up player screen in front of another screen? Can't you integrate both into one? Oh I get it .......

Lastly, the crouched idle stance of the player looks simply ridiculous.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 31st, 2013, 4:52 am

I like it, seems functional and thematic, fits with the the rest of the UI design too.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » May 31st, 2013, 5:13 am

Me gusta. :D

As there seemed to be mixed views about the inventory animations, they should (as some already wrote) really be optional.

The rest is pure retro-feeling, while not as bulky as in the 80/90ies - which I find very appealing.

Very good job so far, InXile. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Gitchi
Initiate

Post by Gitchi » May 31st, 2013, 5:17 am

I'm sorry, but UI doesn't look like it's got a feel of 80's, it looks like it has been made in 80's and that's just not good :(

As lot of people have said, there is too much wasted space. All those graphical things are nice to give atmosphere etc, but it's too much. Here's an example of UI that uses nice graphical stuff to add to immersion, yet doesn't take whole screen to do it http://www.gameconnect.net/wp-content/u ... rater1.jpg (and yes Krater has it's own share of UI problems)

Font, make sure it's easy to read, immersion or not. Headings can be in stylized font, but anything that needs more then couple seconds to read should be in easy to read font, specially stats of items, I don't want to spend time figuring out if it's +8 armour or +9 armour or +6 armour.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » May 31st, 2013, 5:26 am

Gitchi wrote:I'm sorry, but UI doesn't look like it's got a feel of 80's, it looks like it has been made in 80's and that's just not good :(
Not liking the UI is one thing, but either you didn't play any games from the 80's, or you are just using hyperbole, because there were certainly no UI's that were made like this in the 80's.
Last edited by Ronin73 on May 31st, 2013, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

mercy
Novice

Post by mercy » May 31st, 2013, 5:27 am

I would:

Drastically increase FONT SIZE of all text, except the cartoony item description font at top right and except the character name Pull the letters of character name more together.

Decrease space vertically between character portraits, do larger portraits

All those yellow draggable icons you plan to replace with real pictures & renders of stuff right?

Make all vanilla plastic PipBoy material more gritty, darker, more rusty, acid-eaten

You must display real renders (icon sized) beside the inventory-puppet what the actual character is currently wearing because currently there is a big disconnect between your pesky yellow icons - radiating unimportance and vacuity - and between the top right pictures of stuff showing real renders. Disconnect by distance too = icons are too far from rendered picture of same stuff. Fallout could display real item renders in inventory, maybe you could do same 16 years later?

Make those PipBoy gears more like a machine:
darker, denser circuits, more faint lights on plates, more cogs, more grease, a darker, oily machine. More like color palette of machines in the Matrix.

Weapon icons and text are WAaY TOo SMAall

Ditch the arcing electricity or make it it does arc ONCE at opening the inventory. Current arcing frequency is disturbing.

Those black icons and numbers below item renders are not clear what they represent?

Maybe REDO this inventory screen, Re-create a completely new one?

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » May 31st, 2013, 5:33 am

Eh, there's no PipBoy in Wasteland...

Slim_Jim
Initiate

Post by Slim_Jim » May 31st, 2013, 5:37 am

We would like to introduce one of our newest employees: Thomas Beekers, also known as Brother None... After the past year of valuable feedback and help in Wasteland community interaction, it only made sense to bring him on board full-time.
Congrats, Brother None! It's good to know the developers team has a magister in studies of mysterious russian soul now :) Успехов в труде и счастья в личной жизни, товарищ Бикерс! :)

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 31st, 2013, 5:57 am

mercy wrote:Make those PipBoy gears more like a machine: [/b]darker, denser circuits, more faint lights on plates, more cogs, more grease, a darker, oily machine. More like color palette of machines in the Matrix.
Um... nope. The 80s were the age of computers, not heavy industry. Hell, in fact I think it still looks a bit too Fallout-esque as it is now. Less metal, more worn-out and yellowed plastic. Think something along the lines of an old Tandy 1100 laptop.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » May 31st, 2013, 6:34 am

just a slightly different version, photoshopped in 5mins...

concerning "cartoony" i dont see a problem understanding this term, it just means "out of proportions". the guns just look ridiculous... even the coyote couldnt shoot his own head with that giant rifles.

Hmm-Hmm
Initiate

Post by Hmm-Hmm » May 31st, 2013, 6:56 am

The inventory looks pretty good.

One bugbear for me, however, is the font you used. I hope it's temporary and you'll choose something more.. atmospheric yet readable. Otherwise it seems fine.

jsoftcheck
Initiate

Post by jsoftcheck » May 31st, 2013, 7:02 am

Inventory system looks great to me, but 2 minor requests:

1) Is there a way to highlight or "grey out" items a character can't use (perhaps because their stats are too low, etc)?

2) Would it be possible to cross link guns and ammo information (identifying what ammo a character has for a particular weapon, or what weapons can use a specific ammo type? I find that flipping back and forth between these screens is where I waste the most inventory time, and it would be awesome if I could have that info organized on either page.

Can't wait to play it! Thanks!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 31st, 2013, 7:03 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:
mercy wrote:Make those PipBoy gears more like a machine: [/b]darker, denser circuits, more faint lights on plates, more cogs, more grease, a darker, oily machine. More like color palette of machines in the Matrix.
Um... nope. The 80s were the age of computers, not heavy industry. Hell, in fact I think it still looks a bit too Fallout-esque as it is now. Less metal, more worn-out and yellowed plastic. Think something along the lines of an old Tandy 1100 laptop.
Yeah definitely needs more aged beige. Lets face it until Imacs came out, almost all pc's were beige. I'm pretty certain there were even variations of beige. Servers had a bit more variety... I think they were mostly grey... Altho I wasn't dealing with servers much in those days personally.

So 80's inspired 90s when the nukes fell. My guess is most kit, beige. You could even make a joke about it.

Some Ranger with his new bit of hardware. "Ugh beige, who the fuck thought beige was a good fucking colour"
Other Ranger "I dunno, you sure it's beige... more of an off white to me, maybe stucco"
First Ranger "You are an idiot"

:D

As to the rest of "mercy's" post, no Pip-boy in Wasteland, that was Fallout, so wrong universe. But I get you are just trying to explain the bit of machinery. That fits the same purpose.

Also not sure what you were doing with the bold. It seemed a little all over the place
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

DethRaid
Scholar

Post by DethRaid » May 31st, 2013, 7:06 am

snakeoil wrote:Image

just a slightly different version, photoshopped in 5mins...
+1 to this. I'd add some sort of divider between the inventory proper and the item description, but I like where you're going with this.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 31st, 2013, 7:08 am

looking at the picture above, I like the item pic at the bottom as well. The green however, no. That hurts my eyes. I suggest getting rid of the green from all UI elements, such as the health bars and mouseover of items in game. I definitely prefer the yellowish. I'll also echo what I've said before, get rid of the machinery in the UI, inventory and otherwise. It's clearly confusing some folks.

Gorny1
Initiate

Post by Gorny1 » May 31st, 2013, 7:10 am

snakeoil wrote:Image
That is awesome! I like this one more than the official one. The devs should think about it.
EDIT: the green is perfect ;).
I'll fight until the hell is forzen and then I'll fight on the ice!

Shervyn
Initiate

Post by Shervyn » May 31st, 2013, 7:14 am

flikera wrote: Inventory - ok, here you really got it wrong.
People don't like fallout 3 style inventory, good that you've at least heard the forums: we want nice item icons. Everywhere.
By "people" I think you mean that you don't like the fallout 3 inventory system. I happen to really like the efficiency of a list. Give me an excel spreadsheet over a power point presentation any day of the week. And let me sort and filter that spreadsheet however I want.

Oh and for the record I like the slightly over-sized weapons and I enjoy the slightly "cartoony" look of the UI. It serves as a nice reminder that the game is not taking itself too seriously.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 31st, 2013, 7:20 am

I don't like the Green. Or the yellow overly much.

What about white on Blue? Like a lot of the Bios screens? Or the Commodore 64 and similar systems?

The Green lines on black was really earlier 80s, and remember this was meant to be a 90s that was more influenced by the 80s. But that doesn't mean things didn't move forward at all.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » May 31st, 2013, 7:21 am

DethRaid wrote:+1 to this. I'd add some sort of divider between the inventory proper and the item description, but I like where you're going with this.
actually i just wanted to show how it would look without the upflipping screen and that "file" style gun sheet... which mess up a lot in my opinion. the green was just for fun though its maybe too pipboyish.

DethRaid
Scholar

Post by DethRaid » May 31st, 2013, 7:32 am

snakeoil wrote:
DethRaid wrote:+1 to this. I'd add some sort of divider between the inventory proper and the item description, but I like where you're going with this.
actually i just wanted to show how it would look without the upflipping screen and that "file" style gun sheet... which mess up a lot in my opinion. the green was just for fun though its maybe too pipboyish.
Well, your picture matches my idea of what changes ought to be made to the inventory screen. I can deal with the green or yellow or whatever pretty well, so long as it fits with the rest of the game.