Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Post by Zombra »

Dr_Chaos wrote:I do agree about the font. That seems a lil too generic or I guess common looking. A game needs a solid strong text style to it, something that feels abit more professional. It sticks out abit, not a lot but it's noticable.
OCR-A everywhere please :)
ffordesoon wrote:
Zombra wrote:Secondly, I was pretty horrified by the graphics at the beginning of the video. I REALLY hope that we are seeing the "minimum saturation for Fallout fans" option.
To me that looks like a big ball of mud :(
In-game graphics need far more color and above all, MORE CONTRAST.
I liked the graphics at the beginning of the video, but you speak the truth. HEED HIM, INXILE! :)
Thanks for the support, ford. To clarify: I didn't mean the graphic models or environments themselves were bad. I love the art design, animations, etc. ... at least, what I can see of them through that awful color balance, which isn't much.
ffordesoon wrote:They mentioned hotkeys in the update, I think.
Yep, they mentioned it twice and neither time registered on my retinas. Thank you inXile :oops:
Last edited by Zombra on May 31st, 2013, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile »

ffordesoon wrote:
Secondly, I was pretty horrified by the graphics at the beginning of the video. I REALLY hope that we are seeing the "minimum saturation for Fallout fans" option.

To me that looks like a big ball of mud :( Even Señor Mariachi doesn't pop at all. I can only make out his sombrero because I already know it's there! In-game graphics need far more color and above all, MORE CONTRAST.
I liked the graphics at the beginning of the video, but you speak the truth. HEED HIM, INXILE! :)
That video seemed to be from that airplane graveyard place, and the tiny picture we got from there was taken during night time, so I guess the video was during night too. But I agree too, more color and less grimdark, please.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Wile wrote:That video seemed to be from that airplane graveyard place, and the tiny picture we got from there was taken during night time, so I guess the video was during night too. But I agree too, more color and less grimdark, please.
Thanks for the support, Wile.

Yeah, it might be at night, but to me that's no excuse. This isn't a horror game, where not being able to see things is a "feature". I don't care if it's nighttime in a closed shipping container at the bottom of the sea - if I can't see my characters on the screen, much less tell them apart, something is wrong.

And, no, giant white stars under their feet don't count. :geek:
UI elements are not a substitute for visually digestible graphics.

Didn't we agree at some point that "50 Shades of Brown" was not going to be the look for W2? Did I dream that?

Reading that back, I probably seem more aggravated than I really am. It's not a dealbreaker, but I am concerned.
dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy »

Zombra wrote:more contrast stuff thing
i think the word you're looking for is probably brightness. the night look has very high contrast (stark shadows, occasional bright points of clothing).

afaik youtube makes videos darker. but i agree that the shadows on the character models are way too strong - especially when you compare to the shadows that the characters are casting on the ground.

don't really agree about the saturation.. though it's kinda hard to tell how vivid the colours actually are when they are so burnt.

on an unrelated note: i'm perfectly fine with a non-green inventory. :)

edit: just saw the airplane village picture. :o :shock:
Last edited by dorkboy on May 31st, 2013, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marmelade & jam
Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None »

Zombra wrote:Reading that back, I probably seem more aggravated than I really am. It's not a dealbreaker, but I am concerned.
It's just an incidental shot, not really meant to showcase the game's look, which we want to give a bit more polish before rounding back to it. Hopefully the next update will give you a better look at things, though I'd think the gameplay video already did a lot of that.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Brother None wrote:It's just an incidental shot, not really meant to showcase the game's look, which we want to give a bit more polish before rounding back to it. Hopefully the next update will give you a better look at things, though I'd think the gameplay video already did a lot of that.
Thanks for the feedback, B_N. As I recall, the gameplay video was also more washed out than I'd prefer, but perfectly playable, and everything on the screen "read" just fine. As long as inXile is aware that it's a concern, I'm happy.

As for the game's look and a bit more polish, that's good to hear.
Count me as one fan who hopes you can get some of that mud off :)
namelessxx
Acolyte

Post by namelessxx »

you know, i think alot of people are blowing things way out of proportion and i do hope they are not severely disappointed when this game comes out. they all expect it to be perfect, flawless art and design, but they fail to realize that this game has a limited budget and limited time allocation. while broad strokes input are fine, i think people need to back off on the over-analyzing and nitpicking of every little detail and show a little faith in the men and women at inxile. also, stating your opinion as though it should be overriding fact doesnt add anything to the conversation, nor does it help inxile with their community mission here.
Proud Wasteland 2 backer! (post-kickstarter)
natraj
Initiate

Post by natraj »

Nagging on proportions Part II:

On the first ranger image, I didn't realized it that much. But on this picture...

...my stomach ached. What race is this sombrero guy? Dwarf? Ah, wrong game...

About proportions: Guys (or girls) with big fat arms and legs, looking like a 4:3 Image is stretched to 16:9, are not meant for a "serious" game. Swords too big that anyone would be able to hold them? Sniper rifles suitable for pole vault? Come on. If I were a desert dweller, I would laugh my ass off.
Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius »

namelessxx wrote:you know, i think alot of people are blowing things way out of proportion and i do hope they are not severely disappointed when this game comes out. they all expect it to be perfect, flawless art and design, but they fail to realize that this game has a limited budget and limited time allocation. while broad strokes input are fine, i think people need to back off on the over-analyzing and nitpicking of every little detail and show a little faith in the men and women at inxile. also, stating your opinion as though it should be overriding fact doesnt add anything to the conversation, nor does it help inxile with their community mission here.
Nothing wrong with nit picking and expressing opinions as long as expectations are reasonable. Myself, for example, I wouldnt expect them to change their UI colors, even though I feel some parts are inconsistent. However, if enough people get the same vibe, inXile may say maybe there is something to this. InXile will sort through what is relavent and what changes should be made. If we don't express the criticism, then they have nothing to work with.
Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin »

It looks great, guns are a bit big but they're cool if they pack as much punch as they look:)
The inventory is great and if weights are cleverly distributed it will be deep enough to manage,
some functional things however that was already brought up by some could be changed for the better:

- If the inventory list is in the center it can communicate with both the party panel and the character panel
- the big menus , i think if they were located at the bottom it would better , i think its more gamey to have them at the bottom, apps and serious stuff has their menus above:) Also most devices has their big buttons closest to the users, and that is the bottom.
- "green is best"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajljiyd1ovn2rin/mockup1.jpg here is a mockup of how i imagined.
sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 »

namelessxx wrote:you know, i think alot of people are blowing things way out of proportion and i do hope they are not severely disappointed when this game comes out. they all expect it to be perfect, flawless art and design, but they fail to realize that this game has a limited budget and limited time allocation. while broad strokes input are fine, i think people need to back off on the over-analyzing and nitpicking of every little detail and show a little faith in the men and women at inxile. also, stating your opinion as though it should be overriding fact doesnt add anything to the conversation, nor does it help inxile with their community mission here.
there will be four types of people and for a project like this you can't avoid that.

1)The person who wants the game to be what their perfect game would be.
2)The people who want another Fallout 1/2/2.5/Tactics.
3)The people who just want a current version of Wasteland 1
4)The people who just want the developers to do their thing and produce a game.

Either, or I think people will be staunch defenders and fans of Wasteland 2 when it gets released, but asking for changes now and being nit-picky is a good way to to make sure the things the developers may have missed are caught and fixed before game release.

I like the proportions of the models.

I would like to see more animation of the characters on the inventory screen.

Since the portraits are going to be a big feature for making a more personalized party I would like them to be as large as possible. I would also like to see some old plastic textures along with the rusty metal and circuitry.

I am also in the green coloured icons camp. I know the computer I used to play number munchers on was a mono colour green display CRT in beige plastic housing.
Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal »

InXile asked for feedback, and they get feedback - I can see nothing wrong here. You should view the comments more like a "brainstorm". What InXile makes of this is completely up to them, and that's a good thing.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Darkzone
Adventurer

Post by Darkzone »

First: I like the only 8 items at a time, a homage to Wasteland I. I hope you don't go for scrolling of the list, but for pages, which can be directly accessed via page buttons.

Second: I hate the electric arcs or sparcs, because it looks like i have to turn the whole thing off, before it goes up in flames. It does not look functional but it looks like it is broken, so fix it. I would do it with duct tape.
Remember 1 cm of arc in the air is 1.000 Volt.
So this apparatus has an resistance at least of 3000 Volt. Not good for an electronic device.

Third: Redundancy of the pictogramm and the type and name. One of those is redundant. I would drop the type. Because the list is already ordered in a certain way by the type. So a pictogramm could display different types of weapons but it is then not necessary to name the type of weapon. Also the name with the pictogramm should be enough to recognize the weapon or component or else. If the name is good choosen.
Sniper Rifle is a bad choice for a name.

Fourth: The game UI and the Inventory should look homogenous.

Fifth: The poping up screen is not good, it will be even after a while annoying.

Sixth: I hope you can choose the color of the displays. I prefer green not because a game with the name Fallout 1 or 2 or 3 has used the green color, but because green and black look always good, even Luck Skywalker knew it. But if the green was not so bright it would be better.
I like also the look of green and black, because it looks Terminal alike and i had a greenish monitor.

Seventh: snakeoil design is more clear and therefore better. But still the way for Drag and Drop of the equipment is to long, it is at least over 1000 px for a 1920x1080 display. A usability study and rework of the UI and Inventory would be good.

Overall i would prefer a UI that looks more like the Next computers casing. ( NOT BEIGE )
But an more military equipment look would be more appropriate.

Everything else seems to me very good.
In the Wasteland every breath i take. I am.

Thank you Brian Fargo for the games i play.
Thank you Fields of the Nephilim for the music i hear.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

namelessxx wrote:i think people need to back off on the over-analyzing and nitpicking of every little detail and show a little faith in the men and women at inxile. also, stating your opinion as though it should be overriding fact doesnt add anything to the conversation, nor does it help inxile with their community mission here.
Hey! When Brother_None determines that my feedback is no longer useful to the project, he may ban me with no hard feelings. Stating things strongly merely reflects how strongly I feel about some things ... bearing in mind that video game problems are, like, first world problems multiplied by first world problems in terms of life significance. :lol:

I have almost total faith in the good people of inXile! Yet ... analyzing and nitpicking is part of our mandate here on the forums.

They did learn their lesson for Torment though ... no forum there ... :lol:
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

Darkzone wrote:Second: I hate the electric arcs or sparcs, because it looks like i have to turn the whole thing off, before it goes up in flames. It does not look functional but it looks like it is broken, so fix it. I would do it with duct tape.
:lol: Heh, definately need duct tape
Sixth: I hope you can choose the color of the displays. I prefer green not because a game with the name Fallout 1 or 2 or 3 has used the green color, but because green and black look always good, even Luck Skywalker knew it. But if the green was not so bright it would be better.
I like also the look of green and black, because it looks Terminal alike and i had a greenish monitor.
Yeah hoping for a bit of customisation. Light blue on darker blue would be my pref :D
Overall i would prefer a UI that looks more like the Next computers casing. ( NOT BEIGE )
See everyone hates beige, why the hell did anyone think it was the right colour for computers!!!!
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel »

Inventory looks very good. I am trying to think about some constructive criticism I could tell you as a feedback, but I can´t think about one :D
Maybe having feature implemented to compare stats of two/three items.

Otherwise it´s a good job.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)
Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajljiyd1ovn2rin/mockup1.jpg here is a mockup of how i imagined.
Actually it make sense. Less distance for drag-and-drop. But may be it will be better to place portraits on the right side. Looking at equipped items on the far right feels unnatural to me.
Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 »

I don't normally tell others how to play their games, but I can't understand why anyone would want to drag and drop when the demo clearly shows that items can be equipped/unequipped by double clicking.

Honestly, I think drag and drop is pretty much redundant in this interface.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo
snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil »

a more refined version of what i think would be best for the inventory ui.

the electric sparks stuff could be added if most of the party members are very low on health or dead. external factors influencing the optics of something that is used to be static always deepen the overall feeling of a game. just think of wing commanders cockpit under heavy attack. thats when sparks make sense.

i also think the fav stars should represent what the actual chosen character is equipped with and the right side should always display all items the whole party is carrying around. that way the inventory really represents what YOU, the player have found or looted on your journey and you will directly see what each member of your party is equipped with. there should be 3 kinds of stars, the full star for items the actual chosen party memberhas equipped, the edged empty star to show that some other party member carries that item and no star if no one has the item equipped. this would automatically lead to a unified weight limit, not one for each single party member. that way a bigger party would be able to carry heavier loads together just like in real life. HA! a party weight limit instead of weight limits for each party member! this would offer a lot new perspectives for party based rpg games in general, a party of 4 could carry a safe while only one or two would be too weak! heavy loot here we come!
Last edited by snakeoil on May 31st, 2013, 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius »

Ronin73 wrote:I don't normally tell others how to play their games, but I can't understand why anyone would want to drag and drop when the demo clearly shows that items can be equipped/unequipped by double clicking.

Honestly, I think drag and drop is pretty much redundant in this interface.
Think people are talking about trading between characters.

Return to “Wasteland Series News & Announcements”