Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Post by Brother None » May 30th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Update 29 shows off the inventory in a two minute video, as well as offering a new screenshot.
In this update, you’ll find a relatively quick video detailing some features of our inventory screen. Our top design goal with inventory is to make sure it is functional and easy to navigate. We considered the positives and negatives of things like grid vs. list backpacks, weight-based or “tetris” style along with navigation details to see which elements will work best with our design. Being that Wasteland 2 is a party-based game, you will essentially have between 4 and 7 inventories to access at any one point. This could become tedious if the design doesn't promote easy management and trading. To reduce this nasty element, we added things like double-click to equip/use, column-based sorting for major characteristics, hot keys for trading, and our smart-loot favorites system.

Check out the video below (in 1080p for best viewing) and let us know what you think! We want to hear your thoughts on improvements to functionality that could be made before release. Please feel free to do so as a reply to this update, on our Facebook page, and our forums and blog. The more vocal you are, the better chance you have of being heard!

Before you get to the video, here are a few things on our task lists that aren't shown in the video. These weren't fully implemented yet but will be prior to release.

Key bindings for menus and commonly used items. You’ll have the ability to designate hot keys for quick navigation of things like trading items to a specific party member or entering into various menus.
Mouse-overs for all relevant icons and backpack items to give detailed stats. Each of the icon details on the item pictures and inventory slots will have mouse-overs that show all of the granular stats you've come to expect from hardcore RPG's.
Please be gentle. I was sick when I was recording the video earlier this week...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHN7QTcuqI4
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Elerond
Acolyte

Re: Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Post by Elerond » May 30th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I must say that I like how that inventory looks

natraj
Initiate

Post by natraj » May 30th, 2013, 4:53 pm

I like the inventory.

But, taking a look a the sniper rifle...please, don't make weapons ridiculously big in comparison to characters. I'm so fed up with this WOW-style graphics...

VirtualMaestro
Initiate

Post by VirtualMaestro » May 30th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Looks really good. Here's a suggestion:

Allow for one variable, or wildcard column. When you click on any item, and you see all its stats, provide a button or toggle underneath each icon which will put that stat in the wildcard column. Then you can quickly compare all items based on that stat, and click on that column to sort all items based on range, or ammo capacity, or fire rate, or armor rating, or movement limitation, or whatever the player wants in any given situation. This would provide maximum flexibility without cluttering up the screen with a dozen stat columns.

Overall, this vid made me even more stoked, well done....

Shervyn
Initiate

Post by Shervyn » May 30th, 2013, 5:04 pm

I love the wildcard column, or even better, the ability to adjust and display any column with any stat that the player wishes.

The other thing that is a must for me is a quick way to compare the item to what is currently equipped. So maybe under the stats on the Polaroid there should be red and green numbers representing the differences compared to what is equipped.

I also tend to agree with the comment on the Kickstarter page that there is too much electricity shooting across the screen. It's just distracting.

Oh and I liked the 17 minute video. More of that please.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 30th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Like it so far. Have to agree with Natraj on the proportion issue, though: Please make the guns a bit more realistic in size. Also: That screenshot of the airplane graveyard turned village is ridiculously small. Any chance we'll get a larger one?
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » May 30th, 2013, 5:12 pm

natraj wrote:But, taking a look a the sniper rifle...please, don't make weapons ridiculously big in comparison to characters. I'm so fed up with this WOW-style graphics...
Proportions are always a bit more exaggerated for models that you display top-down, so it can be a little tricky with the way it looks on the ragdoll compared to how it looks with the normal camera (as in the opening of the video).
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 30th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Love the update. Very, Very pleased with the inventory screen. I absolutely love the paperdoll models, the item artwork is perfect, the item descriptions are great! Mouseover for stats is a must, so I'm glad that will be in. I'm guessing it's a 100% weight based inventory now? Maybe it always going to be strictly weight based, without limited slots, idk. Anyways, I'm happy that it's not weight AND limited slots. Since it is generally list based, I'm glad there is a favorite's tab.

I'm not fond of the UI theme in general, but I think it works better on the UI screen than the game screen. A pro tip, if there is weapon mods, have them reflect on the paperdoll. Bonus points if the item art changes as well to reflect the specific mods you have equipped to a weapon. Also, I just played Far Cry 3. Another tip, those inventory lists better be mouse wheel scrolled!

On another note, compendium? Like a Wastelandepidia with descriptions (and pictures?) of encountered people, places and things? Yes please!

Lastly, the new screenshot, is that posted in higher resolution somewhere?

(I love the snake squeezins bottle!)

nitrium
Initiate

Post by nitrium » May 30th, 2013, 5:29 pm

I think this looks extremely comprehensive yet incredibly intuitive and easy to manage. Shaping up to be one of the best inventory systems I've ever seen. A comparison of core stats to currently equipped item would be a plus though.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » May 30th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Inventory looks pretty solid and functional. I don't have any complaints. I'd also love to see a similar video for character generation when you get that far :)

That Snake Squeezins bottle rocks! Little did I realize that it was based on a real bottle until I saw Chris Keenan's Twitter. Crazy!

https://twitter.com/rangerkeenan/status ... 08/photo/1

https://twitter.com/rangerkeenan/status ... 84/photo/1

I also would like a higher resolution screenshot of the airplane village if possible.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Jhonrock
Initiate

Post by Jhonrock » May 30th, 2013, 5:45 pm

The inventory screen is absolutely fantastic. I loved the feel of it.
Not a big deal but make possible to see more items in the list, at the same time. Later in the game, i think we will have a lot of items in the bag, so, less items at the same time in the screen = more time browsing through the inventory. And add some way to fast compare equiped item with non equiped item, like a window when you put the mouse pointer over the item, showing red and green stats.

snakeoil
Adventurer

Post by snakeoil » May 30th, 2013, 5:48 pm

overall it looks very promising but there are several things i dislike,

-the electricity/wire stuff going on there.
-the items images looked far too sterile for a post-apo game. just have 3-5 diffrent backgrounds to put them at, depending on the size or usage of the item, a table, a locker, a rifle closet e.g.
-the upflipping character screen is too much i think, it doesnt fit to the overall look of the inventory. just display the character on the same level as all the other informations.
-proportions are way off, now characters really look Time Splitters-cartoonish.
-please dont force the steampunky-selfmade-style on everything. i understand that things are expected to look duct-taped together in wasteland 2 and many things should, but forcing a selfmade style on everything (items as well as ui) looks kinda strange to me. it gets this primitive tribal touch that doesnt really fits the 80s/90s mindset. instead of making all things look selfmade make some just look dirty and worn to reduce the cartoonish element.

other than that its very good, pretty clear and well structured.
Last edited by snakeoil on May 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gorny1
Initiate

Post by Gorny1 » May 30th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Shervyn wrote: The other thing that is a must for me is a quick way to compare the item to what is currently equipped. So maybe under the stats on the Polaroid there should be red and green numbers representing the differences compared to what is equipped.
I hope, that such a function is not necessary. This isn't diablo. Comparing one new weapon/piece of equipment every couple of hours of playtime with the one you have wouldn't be much of a problem.
I'll fight until the hell is forzen and then I'll fight on the ice!

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » May 30th, 2013, 5:59 pm

Firstly congratulations Brother None on being hired on full time :)

I love the inventory system it feels clean and easy to navigate. the detailed pictures in the upper right hand corner are a nice touch too.

the starred favorites system is new to me, i love the idea. it sounds like it will really help when looting.

I would like to know more about the compendium tab, will it be full of knowledge about things we have encountered?
Mostly harmless.

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » May 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Loved the inventory screen, nice and filling. Favourites is a good thing, will stop excessive scrolling and searching for one item. The upper right hand window with the details reminds me of another Kickstarter though, Dead State and also the game Zafehouse Diaries.

Stration
Initiate

Post by Stration » May 30th, 2013, 6:12 pm

The list only shows eight items at a time? Oh, boy. I can already tell there will be a fair bit of scrolling involved in inventory management.

One small suggestion: add a "Junk" tab for items that the player only keeps to sell them later on. I always wanted to have that. Needless to say, as soon as you mark an item as "Junk" it should disappear from all other tabs.

Oh, and there should definitely be an undo button in case you e.g. transfer an item to a wrong party member. It would also be nice to have one complete list of all items that all your party members have. And an option to double the font size, because I don't feel like going any blinder than I am already. And does the screen showing the currently selected character really have to be so darn huge?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 30th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Looks good.

I like the sorting and lists. As others have suggested being able to sort by stat may be useful.

I am in the proportions seem odd camp.

Also the stance seems odd as well. like they are leaning back into their knees...

Overall looks good tho.

Some sort of "Junk" or other prioritisation tab would be good.

Edit ** just noticed there is a Star favourites button by the looks of things**
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Dr_Chaos
Initiate

Post by Dr_Chaos » May 30th, 2013, 6:21 pm

A lot of interesting stuff to pause and oogle there. Mariachi Ranger was an unexpected surprise.

We can change the color of most of this stuff, right?

I personally can't get enough of old school computer green on black background myself.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » May 30th, 2013, 6:33 pm

Very pleased with the inventory.
Custom value columns would be a great idea.
Comparison to currently equipped-definitely a great idea.
Weapon proportions do not bother me really- a little exaggeration is justified here, otherwise items maybe too hard to tell apart.
Creating a "Junk" or better "To Trade" tab again a great idea. Also, I think I saw it in a game called "space rangers" there was an option to record prices from a shop you visited in the past. Maybe once item is transferred into "To trade" tab you could see values for it in let's say up to 3 shops/locations? I realize it's not a trade simulator, but if this data is stored in the game somewhere, why not use it to make player's life easier.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

Dr_Chaos
Initiate

Post by Dr_Chaos » May 30th, 2013, 7:03 pm

The out of nowhere Mariachi outfit gives me hope for a lot of whacky RP equipment.

The fast food employee/part time mercenary, the straight laced businessman in a corporate suit that occasionally sports a large sniper rifle off duty to let off his murderous pent up rage, the gruff bearded berserker hobo in rags and a winter cap, etc.
Last edited by Dr_Chaos on May 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.