About cutscenes, and how you can help

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: About cutscenes, and how you can help

Post by Zombra » May 24th, 2013, 11:36 am

ffordesoon wrote:Am I crazy? :lol:
Yes. :P That doesn't seem to fit either the original game or the new one ... but hey, I'd give it a chance.
BubbaBrown wrote:Now the classic EGA palette... Now we're talking!
Correct. Run a search for the word "cyan" and you'll see that I've been pushing for strong colors from day one. :geek:

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » May 24th, 2013, 5:07 pm

You know what? I'm gonna share an idea for the opening. This ain't happening, obv, but I figure a few folks might get a kick out of it.
Sound, no image or music.

We hear something large and metal - a blast door, perhaps? - rumble open, klaxons blaring. Boots clang across a metal floor, pause momentarily, and step onto slightly damp earth with a soft crunch. The large metal thing trundles shut, once again accompanied by blaring klaxons.

A quiet moment. We hear the owner of the boots breathing softly. Softer still, the patter of water droplets on the floor of— what? A cave? A tunnel? Something underground, for sure. The boot-wearer swallows, walks forward.

Sound fades out. An ominous, inscrutable Mark Morgan theme begins to play as we cut to a TITLE CARD:

Brian Fargo Presents

Sound fades back in. Bed music continues.

Boot-wearer is running from something, his ragged breaths coming hard and fast. A distant skittering draws nearer and nearer. A chittering noise can be heard over the skittering. Suddenly, a scrape of paws against dirt, and an otherworldly screech. Boot-wearer grunts in fright, revealing himself to be male. He stumbles, pulls something from a holster.

Two gunshots - BLAM! BLAM! - over another TITLE CARD:

An inXile Entertainment Game

Finally, the sound and the music are joined by an image: monochromatic light at the end of a craggy-looking tunnel. It is a cave!

Boot-wearer continues running. Camera shakes slightly to simulate it. He's gulping down lungfuls of air now, but the skittering is gone. The light at the end of the tunnel approaches.

MATCH CUT TO:

The mouth of the cave. Bright desert rocks framing a pool of inky blackness.

Boot-wearer emerges from the cave. He's blond, wearing a blue jumpsuit with yellow stripes (still B&W, just noting the colors he should wear). He jogs to one side of the entrance, clutches a rock, coughs, catches his breath, stands, walks toward the camera, squints as his eyes adjust to the light.

CUT TO:

Panorama shot. Boot-wearer's silhouette centered in the foreground. His back is to us, and we can see part of a large yellow symbol on the back of his suit, though we can't tell what the symbol is.

He turns to the right, and the camera follows him. There's a cliff in the distance.

Close-up of his face. He squints at the cliff.

Shot of the cliff. There's a light of some sort glinting off the edge of the hill. Perhaps the sun hitting a mirror?

Close-up of boot-wearer's face. He's still squinting.

Shot of the cliff and the glint.

Shot of him in profile, looking at the glint.

BOOT WEARER
(to himself)

What the...

The Mark Morgan music cuts out abruptly. BAM! A shot rings out! ZING! It hits him right between the eyes! Blood, the first color we've seen and bright red to the point of being garish, explodes out of his head and splashes to the ground. The glint was a sniper's scope!

Top-down shot as we see the body thud to the ground, and zoom into the rapidly expanding puddle of blood.

Shot of the body as seen through the sniper's scope.

SNIPER (V.O.)
Friggin' poachers. Git yer own rats.

SMASH CUT TO TITLE CARD:

WASTELAND 2
I know the ending line was kind of pants, but this was just a bit of fun I did on the fly. I'm sure I could come up with something better. I also didn't do enough with the black and white.

In any case, I hope a few people enjoyed it. :)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

MightyHedgehog
Initiate

Post by MightyHedgehog » May 24th, 2013, 5:16 pm

All footage must look like captured on VHS and played back via CRT.

sirchet
Initiate

Post by sirchet » May 24th, 2013, 6:19 pm

ffordesoon wrote:You know what? I'm gonna share an idea for the opening. This ain't happening, obv, but I figure a few folks might get a kick out of it.
Sound, no image or music.

We hear something large and metal - a blast door, perhaps? - rumble open, klaxons blaring. Boots clang across a metal floor, pause momentarily, and step onto slightly damp earth with a soft crunch. The large metal thing trundles shut, once again accompanied by blaring klaxons.

A quiet moment. We hear the owner of the boots breathing softly. Softer still, the patter of water droplets on the floor of— what? A cave? A tunnel? Something underground, for sure. The boot-wearer swallows, walks forward.

Sound fades out. An ominous, inscrutable Mark Morgan theme begins to play as we cut to a TITLE CARD:

Brian Fargo Presents

Sound fades back in. Bed music continues.

Boot-wearer is running from something, his ragged breaths coming hard and fast. A distant skittering draws nearer and nearer. A chittering noise can be heard over the skittering. Suddenly, a scrape of paws against dirt, and an otherworldly screech. Boot-wearer grunts in fright, revealing himself to be male. He stumbles, pulls something from a holster.

Two gunshots - BLAM! BLAM! - over another TITLE CARD:

An inXile Entertainment Game

Finally, the sound and the music are joined by an image: monochromatic light at the end of a craggy-looking tunnel. It is a cave!

Boot-wearer continues running. Camera shakes slightly to simulate it. He's gulping down lungfuls of air now, but the skittering is gone. The light at the end of the tunnel approaches.

MATCH CUT TO:

The mouth of the cave. Bright desert rocks framing a pool of inky blackness.

Boot-wearer emerges from the cave. He's blond, wearing a blue jumpsuit with yellow stripes (still B&W, just noting the colors he should wear). He jogs to one side of the entrance, clutches a rock, coughs, catches his breath, stands, walks toward the camera, squints as his eyes adjust to the light.

CUT TO:

Panorama shot. Boot-wearer's silhouette centered in the foreground. His back is to us, and we can see part of a large yellow symbol on the back of his suit, though we can't tell what the symbol is.

He turns to the right, and the camera follows him. There's a cliff in the distance.

Close-up of his face. He squints at the cliff.

Shot of the cliff. There's a light of some sort glinting off the edge of the hill. Perhaps the sun hitting a mirror?

Close-up of boot-wearer's face. He's still squinting.

Shot of the cliff and the glint.

Shot of him in profile, looking at the glint.

BOOT WEARER
(to himself)

What the...

The Mark Morgan music cuts out abruptly. BAM! A shot rings out! ZING! It hits him right between the eyes! Blood, the first color we've seen and bright red to the point of being garish, explodes out of his head and splashes to the ground. The glint was a sniper's scope!

Top-down shot as we see the body thud to the ground, and zoom into the rapidly expanding puddle of blood.

Shot of the body as seen through the sniper's scope.

SNIPER (V.O.)
Friggin' poachers. Git yer own rats.

SMASH CUT TO TITLE CARD:

WASTELAND 2
I know the ending line was kind of pants, but this was just a bit of fun I did on the fly. I'm sure I could come up with something better. I also didn't do enough with the black and white.

In any case, I hope a few people enjoyed it. :)
This is great!

Thanks for sharing it.
Help is good when asked for, better when needed.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 24th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Nice one, ford ... I got a smile out of it.

Just remember ... "Superhero parody comics are still fucking superhero comics!" ;)

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » May 26th, 2013, 12:42 am

@sirchet:

Thanks! I had fun writing it!

@Zombra:

Heh, point taken. I just liked the idea of the game just straight up being like "Fallout!? Fallout ain't shit compared to this thing!"

Of course, then the game would have to be better than Fallout, which is a tall order. Still, I enjoy it when playful shots are taken at the Distinguished Competition, if I may tie this discussion back into superhero comics. ;)
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

J1811
Acolyte

Post by J1811 » May 26th, 2013, 4:30 pm

We want a cheesey life-action flick with Fargo and Avellone as rangers. Remember to show off those biceps 8-)

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 26th, 2013, 5:56 pm

@Ford: Love it. Maybe we're lucky and get a trailer from it 8-) .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » May 28th, 2013, 10:37 pm

TΛPETRVE wrote:@Ford: Love it. Maybe we're lucky and get a trailer from it 8-) .
Hey, thanks, man.
Pleaseupdate12 wrote:Don't forget Sparkworkz! Update Pr3!
...Hoo-boy. :roll:

Zigarath
Initiate

Post by Zigarath » May 28th, 2013, 11:23 pm

I would like to suggest rotoscoping. It is a cheap way and fast way to have animated cutscenes on a low budget with an opportunity to provide a uniquely retro look. Almost like Heavy Metal. My suggestion would be to use static or pre rendered backgrounds, perhaps you could even grab a shot from unity and then pretty it up in photoshop before dropping in as the background for various scenes, and then maybe use your office personnel as actors for the cutscenes before drawing over and adding clothing equipment etc. or if its easier/cheaper animate in 3d roughly and clean it up when animating Here are some quick google links

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

http://www.onextrapixel.com/2012/09/06/ ... photoshop/

ae.tutsplus.com/articles/in-depth/simple-principles-to-make-rotoscoping-less-crappy/

http://www.wallaceict.net/creativity/ho ... toscoping/

The range if style you can get is endless as well. You could go for something modern like this
http://youtu.be/huFVCzm-ejo
Or you can go for a style that will remind you have a 70/80s animated film. This guy made this on and off during college for 4 years http://youtu.be/tAgjal1XKdw

Hope y'all agree!

Drinkyourtea
Novice

Post by Drinkyourtea » May 31st, 2013, 3:15 am

Hey guys,

How about this idea Ron Pearlman should do voice work in there somewhere as ron pearlman is a legend.

Regards Your Fan

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 31st, 2013, 3:24 am

Nope. Ron Perlman is Fallout. This is Wasteland.

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » May 31st, 2013, 3:50 am

I don't think they could even afford Perlman anyways. I bet his voice doesn't come cheap.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 31st, 2013, 3:55 am

Perlman isn't an expensive actor (he's in a lot of low-budget productions), but it's still an unnecessary waste of money. Names are worthless, voice actors have to be capable, not famous.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 31st, 2013, 6:43 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:Nope. Ron Perlman is Fallout. This is Wasteland.
In all fairness, Ron Perlman IS a legend :D
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 31st, 2013, 7:45 am

Woolfe wrote:In all fairness, Ron Perlman IS a legend :D
So is the Commodore 64 SID chip, but only one of them did the cutscenes for Wasteland ;)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 31st, 2013, 8:29 am

Sigh... I miss my c64.... :(
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » May 31st, 2013, 11:21 am

Had a C128 , and yeah, the SID chip ruled. ^^ :mrgreen:

kadagan
Initiate

Post by kadagan » June 5th, 2013, 7:45 am

I don't know too much about how all of this works, but maybe someone you could think about for a director would be the person who made that Portal short film on youtube?

http://youtu.be/4drucg1A6Xk

It was pretty awesome, and I don't think that guy's a big name who would require big money?

DonTeridon
Initiate

Post by DonTeridon » June 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Maybe The cutscenes could be like a slideshow that comes ''into life'' -meaning mostly just movement- as every picture is
being explained every event and/or name told by the narator ''activates'' the person/item/place shown in the picture...

Or like an Overview of the wastelands that will zoom in to the place where the events unfold then go into slideshow mode show what happened zoom out go to the next...Untill you zoom in to your starting location...

Another thought maybe not so good but still you asked for it :P

Maybe like start with a small insect eating another and keep on moving up in the food chain till you reach a big Ranger boot and a battle that is commencing all over the place...

I thing that would give a nice feeling

Cheers!