[Poll] Help us pick the Wasteland 2 logo

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Which logo do you prefer?

Poll ended at May 26th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Wasteland 2 logo version 1 - inXile's first take
5%
Wasteland 2 logo version 2 - inXile's second take
22%
Wasteland 2 logo version 3 - inXile's third take
43%
Wasteland 2 logo version 4 - submitted by Francisco Manuel Ferreiro
10%
Wasteland 2 logo version 5 - submitted by Evan Meichtry
20%

Total votes: 654

Tets
Master

Re: [Poll] Help us pick the Wasteland 2 logo

Post by Tets » April 27th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Zombra wrote:I hate the dark blue/purple one people keep reposting. It's a nice piece of art, but it doesn't look anything like Wasteland. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a snowscape? And the lone figure with a dog ... hello, that is a different franchise. It would be perfect for a Fallout sequel entitled "The Vault Dweller in Antarctica".
i like the concept, but i also think, the image doesnt fit

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » April 27th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I honestly prefer the original second take (way more) to the new one.
The 3rd have the green, but that's pretty much the only thing it have: a vague greeny stuff behind the letters, not a big fan, if you don't know the artwork that doesn't appeal much I think.
Totally agree.
Another pick'n'mix version:
I'd vote for this. Not perfect but still better than what was presented in the poll.

Stiffkittin
Initiate

Post by Stiffkittin » April 27th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I voted for #4 principally for the excellent textures and professional lighting (tweaking the colors would be fine though). They evoke the wasteland setting without being cheesy plus it's easy to read. Both things #3 doesn't do well, despite looking nice and being based on gorgeous concept art.

That said, I think the compromise mocked up by the poster below is very good. I still think the taller font used in the original #4 suits "Wasteland" better, but I agree the Ranger badge adds something to the image. I'm also sympathetic to Zombra's crusade against the stuck-on 2 ;) Spacing it out is better (although not as wide as in #3, that's just too far)
tomatpaburk wrote:Quick sketch of the "combo" I was thinking of

Two different color versions, since my work screen has a lot higher color or contrast as my gaming screen. So if the first one looks to "bland & colorless" the second one might be more matched for your screen.

Low Color

High Color
EDIT: Quite disappointed you didn't at least provide inXile's original 2nd pass as an option. It was pretty good. A lot better before you made the Ranger badge so dominant and I'd be happy with it as well. See Paradox-fi's mockup above.
Last edited by Stiffkittin on April 28th, 2013, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » April 27th, 2013, 8:38 pm

ButchinMelancholy wrote:I honestly prefer the original second take (way more) to the new one. I know some people found that the ranger star should pop more, but not grossly like this to me... Just a bit brighter would have been really nice, making it slightly more visible, but I really like its sober, toned down aspect (kind of like a ghost image), remaining some sort of evocative reminiscence of the theme in the background. And I prefer the way the logo was arranged overall anyway, homogeneous, simple, and feeling just right. It would have been my choice for sure.

Otherwise, I'm not really fond of the third "classic" but rather bland logo, it indeed feels like you just made an amateur copy and paste from the artwork...
And the first take is awful, still.
I think that the star should be brighter and it should read desert rangers. I wrote off logos 3 and 4.

The first logo reminds me more of the type getting destroyed by an eathquake not age and war so logo 1 is off my list.

The 5 logo was made with the original Wasteland box art. It's nice to embrace your history but the boxart that has been displayed in the first game shouldn't be put on the new logo, the logo should be fresh.

Because logo 2 looks like the logo ButchinMeloncholy pointed out that one won.

The purple Wasteland image that has popped up three or four times so far I agree with Zombra, it doesn't fit it should not be used.

zypher1
Initiate

Post by zypher1 » April 27th, 2013, 11:57 pm

I wonder if the Ranger star can be worked into logo #3 somehow? They are kind of different stylistically, but I would like to see the star in the logo in some degree.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 28th, 2013, 12:01 am

Stiffkittin wrote:I'm also sympathetic to Zombra's crusade against the stuck-on 2 ;) Spacing it out is better (although not as wide as in #3, that's just too far)
I thought so, too, but I didn't want to complain as I was just so overjoyed that they'd put a space in at all :lol:

Odd that they would change it from a proportional space to a monotype space, but hey, whatever kills WASTELAND2 works for me.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » April 28th, 2013, 12:50 am

#3. It sticks with the iconic look established by the original.
25 years and it's finally here...

john irwin finster
Acolyte

Post by john irwin finster » April 28th, 2013, 1:16 am

I voted 3, I love the simple high-impact style. The font is reminiscent of the original Wasteland, and the colour reflects the updated "green" style of the sequel.

The only other option I liked was the one given by paradox-fi above. The central faded star doesn't overpower, and the font and colours are more what I would associate with Wasteland. I would like to see what it looks like in a green colour, again to match the updated green wasteland. Here's a (very) quick colour shift I did, I think it gives a nice mossy overgrown look.

Is it too late to upgrade to the t shirt tier? :)
Last edited by john irwin finster on April 28th, 2013, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mico Selva
Initiate

Post by Mico Selva » April 28th, 2013, 1:43 am

2 and 3 are the best IMO. I'll be happy with either.

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » April 28th, 2013, 2:45 am

snake plissken
Initiate

Post by snake plissken » April 28th, 2013, 3:12 am

I would have picked 5 if it had space between "wasteland" and "2" but #3 is best otherwise

berkus
Novice

Post by berkus » April 28th, 2013, 4:02 am

Infinitron wrote:Image
Perfect. Can I pick this one?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » April 28th, 2013, 6:33 am

Tets wrote:
Zombra wrote:I hate the dark blue/purple one people keep reposting. It's a nice piece of art, but it doesn't look anything like Wasteland. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a snowscape? And the lone figure with a dog ... hello, that is a different franchise. It would be perfect for a Fallout sequel entitled "The Vault Dweller in Antarctica".
i like the concept, but i also think, the image doesnt fit
Well its meant to be night time on a desert landscape, but yeah I don't think its a good one either.

I like 3 but I don't think it is enough. The original version worked because it had the full/enough of the pictureto get the full effect.

You could do the same as this
But cut it down a bit more. That way you get a larger area and its obvious what the green etc is.

Oh and Nice one Infinitron :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

nameless01
Initiate

Post by nameless01 » April 28th, 2013, 8:20 am

I like fourth variant. Third too primitive...

Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth » April 28th, 2013, 9:06 am

I chose 2, with 3 as a close second. I'd be happy with either, I suppose. In the end, it's the game for me, I won't be playing the logo (but I understand why this is a big thing with people).

drithius
Initiate

Post by drithius » April 28th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Either #4 or #5, preferably #5 the more I consider those options. Ideally, however, this earlier posted title is superior to any of them:

Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth » April 28th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Somehow, my comment I made is gone. Basically I'd said I'd voted for 2 with three as a close second, but I'm wanting to play Wasteland 2, not the logo, though I see why the logo is a big deal for people. I guess if this comment poofs too then I said something offensive, but I hope not.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » April 28th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Nyxalinth wrote:Somehow, my comment I made is gone.
It's still there, two posts up from this one I'm quoting :)

Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth » April 28th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Zombra wrote:
Nyxalinth wrote:Somehow, my comment I made is gone.
It's still there, two posts up from this one I'm quoting :)

How weird! It wasn't showing for me. I even did a control-F search for me name.

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » April 28th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Posted.

I voted for second one, and only then I ´ve read that it is for T-shirts and for the box :)

But anyway, second and third are the best, imo.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)