Update #27: M.A.D.ness

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update #27: M.A.D.ness

Post by Brother None » March 22nd, 2013, 5:20 pm

Our 27th update talks about our current development status, the WASTE/Unite Asset Crowdsourcing experiment, and some other bits such as back rewards, Torment and the M.A.D. faction.
In southern Arizona there are a group of monks that are part of an offshoot of the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud cult from Wasteland 1. These monks worship radiation itself, which they refer to as the Great Glow, as well as their hidden guardian whom the refer to only as Titan. It is the Monks belief that the only way to ascend to the afterlife is to absorb enough radiation into their bodies that they become one with the Great Glow, or better yet, to be destroyed in a nuclear event while protecting the order. This leads their warriors, or M.A.D. Monks as the locals refer to them, to the practice of strapping radiation filled dirty bombs to their chests and self-detonating at the first sign of conflict. The M.A.D. in M.A.D. Monk refers to Mutually Assured Destruction, and if you get too close to them you will find out why.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

KithKanan
Novice

Re: Update #27: M.A.D.ness

Post by KithKanan » March 22nd, 2013, 5:42 pm

With mention that some rewards may be coming to backers "in the near future", how much warning are you planning to give us before closing off the ability to upgrade our pledges in the Ranger Center? I'm still not quite at the WL2 tier I want to be, and I'm carefully weighing my budget between WL2 and Torment.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » March 22nd, 2013, 5:56 pm

Great news on the Novella! Can't wait to read it :)

I'd also like to request that some photos of the T-Shirts be shown before they are ready to ship. Since they are optional on nearly every tier that has them, some backers may be interested in getting the T-Shirt instead of one of the other options.

I guess those monks being an offshoot of the "Mushroomers" does make sense. Thanks for some in game flavor. Looking forward to seeing more in the future.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » March 22nd, 2013, 6:09 pm

KithKanan wrote:With mention that some rewards may be coming to backers "in the near future", how much warning are you planning to give us before closing off the ability to upgrade our pledges in the Ranger Center?
What he said. I'm planning to upgrade my pledge at least to CE level, so I'd like to know when it is too late for that :) .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » March 22nd, 2013, 6:11 pm

wow. what an amazing update.

i wonder how can i do anything more exciting. i know. ill go and wash dishes.

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » March 22nd, 2013, 8:56 pm

NIce to see that game is progressing on a steady rate.
Patiently looking forward to it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 22nd, 2013, 9:25 pm

It's just nice to have an actual update about what's going on. The last one was more about Torment than anything.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » March 23rd, 2013, 12:01 am

New Needles Public Safety Tips pamphlet:

1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. Buy a Rad Suit.
3. If someone's hanging around your neighborhood and you don't know them, shoot them. If they're glowing, take cover, THEN shoot them.

8-)

Love the new M.A.D. Monks concept. Very nice addition to the myriad factions of the Wasteland.

Also REALLY looking forward to Stackpole's novella and glad it's coming along. Can't wait to read it.

Donation's been worth every penny so far, but it was the Stackpole novella that got me to dig just that much deeper for my Kick.
25 years and it's finally here...

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 23rd, 2013, 1:43 am

Holy crap they are kickstarting Veronica Mars.... !!!!!
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » March 23rd, 2013, 3:03 am

Come to think of it, now I want to create a handgun/melee hybrid character and name him Trinity. Let's see them suicide monks go up agains this :lol: :

This brotoflatron requires a strul!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » March 23rd, 2013, 6:00 am

I want to be a member of that faction! :lol:
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 23rd, 2013, 9:01 am

Not a lot of meat for those primarily interested in the game itself, but the part about the Monks was nice and mostly it's great to hear that we're still right on schedule. Also nice to hear mention of high volume art production - can't wait to see more.

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » April 3rd, 2013, 9:41 pm

I was thinking about what sort of dirty bombs they might construct and it hit that worshiping ionizing radiation and attempting to adsorb as much of it as possible should make the cult self-limiting. The more competent they are at producing or gathering radioactive elements, the shorter their life expectancy ought to be. It only takes a few minutes to radiate yourself into the afterlife with a piece of cobalt 60. And it only takes one moderately clever member to realize that ingesting the radioactive substance will improve uptake of the holy 'glow' and it's goodbye cult.

Unless they just shove anything that makes a Geiger counter tick into a grenade and call it a dirty bomb, I'm not sure how they'll manage to avoid being victims of their own success. It's certainly ironic.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm

Priest4hire wrote:The more competent they are at producing or gathering radioactive elements, the shorter their life expectancy ought to be.
Suicide bombers rarely care about their retirement benefits.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » April 5th, 2013, 4:09 am

Priest4hire wrote:I was thinking about what sort of dirty bombs they might construct and it hit that worshiping ionizing radiation and attempting to adsorb as much of it as possible should make the cult self-limiting. The more competent they are at producing or gathering radioactive elements, the shorter their life expectancy ought to be. It only takes a few minutes to radiate yourself into the afterlife with a piece of cobalt 60. And it only takes one moderately clever member to realize that ingesting the radioactive substance will improve uptake of the holy 'glow' and it's goodbye cult.

Unless they just shove anything that makes a Geiger counter tick into a grenade and call it a dirty bomb, I'm not sure how they'll manage to avoid being victims of their own success. It's certainly ironic.
Right there, in bold, is most likely.

How much Cobalt 60 are they really going to find in any given place, when you think about it? I don't know about Strontium 70, but that could be something else they pack in there.

The Cobalt 60, maybe, for flavor, they can just say some salted bombs were actually used during the war, but I don't think the U.S. and USSR were really big on keeping salty bombs in the strategic stockpile, mainly because they'd reached the point where they had enough weapons to glass each each other (and the rest of the world) to the point that, where's the sense in throwing dirty nukes at each other? Not like anybody was expected to be alive to keep away from a given target area.

A handwave could easily change that (a little, if they went over the top on how many bombs were salted, it'd become unbelievable) and you could have the MAD Monks actively looking for a sort of 'City of Gold' (or, in this case, Cobalt 60) that's a place that got hit with a salted bomb (I have to imagine that such a place would be like the Fountain of Youth to such people) that they're all looking for, or something to that effect.
Drool wrote: Suicide bombers rarely care about their retirement benefits.
To the suicide bomber, the one way ticket 'to Paradise' IS the retirement 'benefit'! :shock:

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » April 5th, 2013, 1:00 pm

I wonder if the retirement paradise comes with eternal virgins?

IF they cobalt 60, surely they have a working reactor. And a remote control facility to handle it. That would be the easiest. Even with salted bombs, 20 half lives would seriously deplete the stuff. Enriching it would mean isotope separation; a daunting prospect even with a functional industry. Much easier just to build a reactor. Maybe they have a CANDU reactor. Apparently it's easy to make cobalt 60 in one of those. Or perhaps Canada is supplying them cause they think it's funny to give the crazy American cults highly radioactive materials.

I have another theory about the cult: It's two tier. You have a few highly knowledgeable members who run things and probably don't buy into the cult's ideology. Then you have the unwashed, untrained and brainless cultists who do follow the teachings. The leaders carefully keep their pawns from getting radiation sickness and send them out. And the regular cultists are simply too dumb to figure out how to get radiated straight into paradise.

Note that building a real dirty bomb would require a great deal of expertise. Strong gamma ray sources would not only have to be made, but would require very heavy shielding to keep the would be bomber from keeling over within a handful of miles. Even low energy materials would have to be identified and possibly purified. So if they have proper dirty bombs, it means someone there really knows their stuff.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » April 5th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Priest4hire wrote:I wonder if the retirement paradise comes with eternal virgins?

IF they cobalt 60, surely they have a working reactor. And a remote control facility to handle it. That would be the easiest. Even with salted bombs, 20 half lives would seriously deplete the stuff. Enriching it would mean isotope separation; a daunting prospect even with a functional industry. Much easier just to build a reactor. Maybe they have a CANDU reactor. Apparently it's easy to make cobalt 60 in one of those. Or perhaps Canada is supplying them cause they think it's funny to give the crazy American cults highly radioactive materials.

I have another theory about the cult: It's two tier. You have a few highly knowledgeable members who run things and probably don't buy into the cult's ideology. Then you have the unwashed, untrained and brainless cultists who do follow the teachings. The leaders carefully keep their pawns from getting radiation sickness and send them out. And the regular cultists are simply too dumb to figure out how to get radiated straight into paradise.

Note that building a real dirty bomb would require a great deal of expertise. Strong gamma ray sources would not only have to be made, but would require very heavy shielding to keep the would be bomber from keeling over within a handful of miles. Even low energy materials would have to be identified and possibly purified. So if they have proper dirty bombs, it means someone there really knows their stuff.
I'll take your word for it, because I'm far from even a novice in the field of nuclear chemistry or related technology. :lol:

Like your theory about the cult being twin tiered. It makes perfect sense that you would have a group at the top (the high priests/priestesses, high acolytes, etc...) and then 'the followers'; the poor dumb bastards who've been convinced to blow themselves up, not to further the aims of the 'power tier', but 'to achieve paradise/enlightenment/whatever they've been sold on'.

It'll be interesting to see how their 'power tier' differs in philosophy from the Mushroom Cloud...

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 5th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Priest4hire wrote:IF they cobalt 60, surely they have a working reactor. And a remote control facility to handle it. That would be the easiest.
Depends on how radiated the grenades are. Hospitals are chock full of radiation sources (just tear apart an MRI machine or, you know, x-ray machine), and it's used for non-destructive testing in many fields. Hell, probably every industrial site of any size will probably have some lying around somewhere for testing welds. Most any university chemistry lab will probably have some kind of radioactive materials as well.

Sure, weapons-grade purified matierals are rare. Radioactive isotopes in general are almost frightfully common. Remember, they used to paint watch faces with freaking radium. To say nothing of just digging the crap out of the ground; uranium's not that rare.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

HorseFD
Initiate

Post by HorseFD » April 6th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Any chance of another video or screenshots in a future update?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 7th, 2013, 11:15 am

HorseFD wrote:Any chance of another video or screenshots in a future update?
Absolutely, but not "right now". While we're blocking and not even in alpha it is kind of an unnecessary expense to turn another area into a "vertical slice" for testing purposes. But once we're a ways into alpha it becomes much more doable.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer