Wasteland 3 Update #11: Designing an RPG Town

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sear
Developer

Wasteland 3 Update #11: Designing an RPG Town

Post by sear » October 31st, 2016, 1:27 pm

In this update, George Ziets is here to talk about his approach in designing RPG towns and what that might mean for Wasteland 3!

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland- ... 04#updates

A critical element during this phase is the main story. I need to know what story events take place in the town so I can decide where to place them. The main story should help guide the player through an RPG city. It should never lead the player by the nose to every point of interest, but major story events should be placed in different districts, giving the player a gentle nudge to explore at least some of them. Beyond that, it should be up to the player to explore and discover the rest of the content on their own.

If the city does have different districts, I try to give each one a unique flavor of its own. I ask myself about the kinds of people who live there (e.g., social class, native vs. immigrant), the purpose of the district (e.g., industrial, mercantile, residential), architectural style, and unique locations and monuments. The latter are especially important. When placed strategically around a scene, monuments, unique locations, and other visual features can help the player orient themselves and navigate through the area.

For example, in a district dominated by the Gipper faction, we might use landmarks like an old oil drilling tower, a statue of President Reagan, or a tall flagpole with Old Glory flapping in the wind. In a city like Colorado Springs, we’d also try to include real-world landmarks in scenes, like the Olympic Committee Headquarters and its unique metal sculptures, pictured below.

Patient Roller
Scholar

Re: Wasteland 3 Update #11: Designing an RPG Town

Post by Patient Roller » November 10th, 2016, 5:31 am

Hey, sounds good!

I hope the game world in WL3 will make more internal sense than in WL2, like the radio tower placed in a valley, or the completely indefencible home base in California.