Wasteland 3 Update 10: On Combat & Encounter Design

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Wasteland 3 Update 10: On Combat & Encounter Design

Post by Brother None » October 28th, 2016, 9:11 am

We close out the week with an update from Chris Keenan, talking about combat and encounter design in Wasteland 3.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland- ... 03#updates
Combat has always been a huge part of the Wasteland franchise, as it's where so many of your important character-building decisions get realized. With Wasteland 2, we had a wide variety of enemy types and encounter areas to play with. In the Director's Cut, we expanded combat to include extra strategic options like Precision Strikes, which gave you more options to affect the battlefield. On a high level, Wasteland 3's combat will be created in the same vein; it will be turn-based, party-based, and will offer a wide range of tactical choices, like cover and verticality.

However, the keen-eyed among you likely saw that we mentioned a "revamped, more fluid action system". “So…what the hell is that all about?”, you ask. Well, let me tell you.

In a turn-based combat system, sometimes you can get bogged down waiting. You as a player might have an understanding of what you want to do before the system allows you to do it. This can lead to the game feeling a bit sluggish or slow. Furthermore, Wasteland 3 will offer a multiplayer mode, and if you have ever played turn-based games in multiplayer, such as Civilization, you likely know that adding a buddy can add more downtime.

Consequently, a focal point of the combat design team is to find the unnecessary wait times and see what we can do to reduce them. Why be forced to wait for my ranger to reach their final destination (which then unlocks the input) before I can move my next ranger in the turn order? Input queuing, where your control inputs aren't locked out while animations are playing, is one solution we are exploring that will allow the dance of combat to play out more on your time, rather than making you wait for our system to catch up.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

bokkie
Novice

Re: Wasteland 3 Update 10: On Combat & Encounter Design

Post by bokkie » October 28th, 2016, 11:37 am

More variety is definitely welcome! New enemies were always good for thrills (slicer dicers, scorpion, etc.). Please take a look at the ambush function (not everybody at once, maybe ask to conform to take action if somebody is triggered?) and how to determine where you are going to get cover for the player.

dorkboy
Master

Re: Wasteland 3 Update 10: On Combat & Encounter Design

Post by dorkboy » October 28th, 2016, 2:06 pm

It kinda sounds like you are doing "soft"/gradual stealth? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Would be cool to have Evasion and Move Silently combined into something that made more sense (eg. only applying in some situations and not being as binarily either-or with regards to detection).

On a side note, are grenades and rockets going to be automatic hit weapons this time around?

More emphasis on hand placed loot, especially the high end stuff? Awesome! :)
marmelade & jam