Wasteland 3 Update 6: The Ranger Base - Your HQ in Colorado

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sear
Developer

Wasteland 3 Update 6: The Ranger Base - Your HQ in Colorado

Post by sear » October 19th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Today's new campaign update for Wasteland 3 discusses the Ranger Base!

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland- ... 93#updates
In Wasteland 1, Ranger Center was the place where you would start the game and create new recruits. In Wasteland 2, Ranger Citadel had a similar function in that it let you drop off your companion NPCs and recruit new ones if any of your original squad-mates had died in the Wasteland. We also expanded it to include more shops, quest content, lore, and some story elements as well. However, it was mostly a starting point, and your reasons for returning were still a little limited.

With Wasteland 3, it's our aim to expand the HQ concept further and make it feel like a more meaningful part of the game. Early in the story, you will take command of a new Ranger Base in Colorado. Unlike Ranger Citadel in Wasteland 2, it won't start out fully staffed and equipped. Instead, you'll be the sole survivor of Team November, establishing a new foothold in hostile, harsh, and unforgiving territory. It will be up to you to recruit promising new Rangers from the local population and decide how to deal with the crises and challenges that are brought to your door.

In Wasteland 3, the Ranger Base is not something we want you to be constantly micromanaging. This isn't going to be a real-time strategy game; you won't be sending peasants to go chop wood or mine coal, or building settlements. How your base changes will be tightly tied in with the game's narrative and will be uniquely Wasteland.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Wasteland 3 Update 6: The Ranger Base - Your HQ in Colorado

Post by Drool » October 19th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Instead, you'll be the sole survivor of Team November, establishing a new foothold in hostile, harsh, and unforgiving territory. It will be up to you to recruit promising new Rangers from the local population
This isn't helping with concerns about making 4 party members...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » October 19th, 2016, 3:55 pm

It would be great if Lone Survivor is a prologue character that establishes a base camp, and from there all PCs are created out of the local population and Lone Survivor is basically a base camp avatar you cannot control as he is running HQ.

But probably not.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 19th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Oooo... I like that. Play Vargas 2.0, set up the camp, and then make characters. Kind of an extended prologue/tutorial. I could get behind that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 19th, 2016, 8:52 pm

I want to believe.

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » October 21st, 2016, 5:00 pm

Zombra wrote:I want to believe.
"There's no place like home... there's no place like home... there's no place like home"

[obscure reference to Wizard of Oz]

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 21st, 2016, 6:16 pm

Dork Mage wrote:"There's no place like home... there's no place like home... there's no place like home"
[obscure reference to Wizard of Oz]
Not THAT obscure! ;)