Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Modding Support Update

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sear
Developer

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Modding Support Update

Post by sear » January 11th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Today, we have a new update for Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on PC. This brings our long-awaited modding support to the game. This mod support allows for users, among other things, to change and override template and prefab files used in the game.

We invite any interested community members to read up on our mod support guide by our Technical Director John Alvarado, and check out our Community Content forums for Wasteland 2 for further discussion.

The update is live on Steam now, and will make its way to GOG.com and other stores shortly.

Update: Due to an unrelated bug in this update which affected some older savegames (causing them to freeze on loading screens), we are rolling back this update until the problem can be resolved, at which point we will re-release it. Thank you for your patience!

Xeddicus
Initiate

Re: Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Modding Support Update

Post by Xeddicus » January 11th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Are there plans to get some more idiot-proof documentation going? For example; looking at the example Status Effect modification in the example zip I can't work out where the file name (BleedOut) came from. This may very well just be my lack of knowledge in json etc, but can't find any of this in the documentation.
Last edited by Xeddicus on January 11th, 2016, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightlord01
Initiate

Post by lightlord01 » January 11th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Are there any formal patch notes? for this update?

Is there an ETA on the NPC/Companion issue, for dismissing them and not being able to rehire them?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 11th, 2016, 7:50 pm

lightlord01 wrote:Are there any formal patch notes? for this update?

Is there an ETA on the NPC/Companion issue, for dismissing them and not being able to rehire them?
The NPC dismisal issue was fixed months ago in the first major update.

As for other changes, not especially. The mod support was an extensive project by John, but the other changes include a tweak that fixed some console crashes (which we included on PC, but was far less of an issue on this platform), and some localization updates to aid in gender and object parsing which were targeted towards those doing fan translations.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 12th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Hello all,

The update has been re-released to correct a freeze issue that could occur when transitioning between scenes while certain specific NPCs were present in that scene (such as Rose).

The new version of the update also brings a small mod-related fix that allows modders to correctly override GUIDs (global unique identifiers) for spawners, which lets modders replace specific spawners even if they share the same names (i.e. "nuke_pooch").

We'll be keeping an eye out on any other reports of issues. Thank you!

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » January 13th, 2016, 9:20 am

Awesome.

Johnny Wasabi
Novice

Post by Johnny Wasabi » January 13th, 2016, 11:22 am

Xeddicus wrote:Are there plans to get some more idiot-proof documentation going? For example; looking at the example Status Effect modification in the example zip I can't work out where the file name (BleedOut) came from. This may very well just be my lack of knowledge in json etc, but can't find any of this in the documentation.
Improvements to the docs will be an ongoing process, and I look to feedback like this to help me know what to work on. Thanks!
To answer your question, the names of StatusEffect files are top secret! Just kidding! I still need to add prefab file-listings for StatusEffects, DropSets, JournalEntryTemplates, MobTemplates and VendorSets. There are already listings for ItemTemplates and Spawners on the downloads page. I'll be adding the rest ASAP.

Johnny Wasabi
Novice

Post by Johnny Wasabi » January 13th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Johnny Wasabi wrote:
Xeddicus wrote:Are there plans to get some more idiot-proof documentation going? For example; looking at the example Status Effect modification in the example zip I can't work out where the file name (BleedOut) came from. This may very well just be my lack of knowledge in json etc, but can't find any of this in the documentation.
Improvements to the docs will be an ongoing process, and I look to feedback like this to help me know what to work on. Thanks!
To answer your question, the names of StatusEffect files are top secret! Just kidding! I still need to add prefab file-listings for StatusEffects, DropSets, JournalEntryTemplates, MobTemplates and VendorSets. There are already listings for ItemTemplates and Spawners on the downloads page. I'll be adding the rest ASAP.
The lists of assets are now on the downloads page for each of the asset classes: DropSet, ItemTemplate, JournalEntry, MobTemplate, Spawner, StatusEffect, VendorSet.

firefighter26
Initiate

Post by firefighter26 » January 14th, 2016, 9:59 am

What is the end goal expectations for Wasteland 2DC's modding support? A group of friends and I have always been big into modding games and creating new content and when we heard that WL2DC was getting modding support we brainstormed up some ideas, such as a stand alone, partial conversion, using the lore and mechanics of WL2DC, but changing the local setting to something like the North West, East Coast, or even Europe and telling a separate and unique story with the same backdrop.

A project like that will ultimately require the modding of pretty much everything, from new NPCs and quests to new maps. We're more than happy with the mechanics behind skills, stats, leveling and combat (BTW, great job on those) but pretty much everything else would need to be edited and rebuilt.

Is this something that will be achievable with the WL2DC engine and modding tools, or perhaps better to place the concepts on the back burner for if/when a WL3 comes out with modding tools that have been built in from day one?

Xeddicus
Initiate

Post by Xeddicus » January 14th, 2016, 11:44 am

Johnny Wasabi wrote:
Johnny Wasabi wrote:
The lists of assets are now on the downloads page for each of the asset classes: DropSet, ItemTemplate, JournalEntry, MobTemplate, Spawner, StatusEffect, VendorSet.

Thanks for the additional info! My next question is which effect is encumbrance. :P

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 14th, 2016, 9:32 pm

Encumbrance actually isn't a Status Effect, though it shows up in the game like one on the UI. I believe it is hard-coded and would require code changes to tweak.

Xeddicus
Initiate

Post by Xeddicus » January 20th, 2016, 2:42 am

Ah, thanks for the information in any case.

ofuangka
Initiate

Post by ofuangka » February 2nd, 2016, 4:17 pm

When is the patch supposed to be released on GOG? It's been over 2 weeks since it's been available on Steam.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 8th, 2016, 12:38 am

When I looked at the OP I went over to GOGs Wasteland II-changelog...
...and I was shoked! How can this take you more than a day?!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 8th, 2016, 9:25 am

RadonGOG wrote:When I looked at the OP I went over to GOGs Wasteland II-changelog...
We've bumped this up with the guys at GOG, thanks for your patience.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 8th, 2016, 9:36 am

sear wrote:
RadonGOG wrote:When I looked at the OP I went over to GOGs Wasteland II-changelog...
We've bumped this up with the guys at GOG, thanks for your patience.
Cool, thanks for the news!

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » February 8th, 2016, 11:02 am

Thank you. I've been hoping the next version is more stable on my box. (Death by loading screen. We seem to be a rare breed.)

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » February 8th, 2016, 11:38 am

To provide a little more information on the GOG workflow: we send them new versions of the game (just like Steam), but they do additional work packaging them up into custom GOG installers before releasing them. That generally adds a slight delay between them and Steam, but I'm not sure what happened in this case.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

ofuangka
Initiate

Post by ofuangka » February 16th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Seems like this isn't a very high priority for anyone.

Karatheon
Initiate

Post by Karatheon » February 17th, 2016, 7:01 am

Yeah. Still waiting for the update too. Pity. I don't want to play until I have the patch.