Wasteland 2 Update 67: Director's Cut Release Date

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sear
Developer

Wasteland 2 Update 67: Director's Cut Release Date

Post by sear » July 30th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Today's update brings us some juicy new info on our release date for Wasteland 2 Director's Cut! The game will be releasing digitally on PC on October 13, 2015! Additionally, for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, digital and physical releases will be coming on October 13th in the Americas, and October 16th Worldwide!

We've got a bunch of new screenshots that you can check out there as well. Here's one to chew on:

Gruftlord
Explorer

Re: Wasteland 2 Update 67: Director's Cut Release Date

Post by Gruftlord » July 30th, 2015, 12:24 pm

yeay, thank you for revealing the release date finally. honestly, i had hoped it would be a bit earlier, but oh well, there we are.

love the new screenshots. while not as flashy as the last ones, they do convey the style of the game nicely and show how the new scenery and lighting hold up under various conditions (quite nicely imho). maybe the yellow excavator could use a little facelift, but otherwise, there is no complaining.

two things i spotted though: earlier, i thought the characters set themselves apart from the background too much. This does no longer seem to be the case, they all look "grounded". except for the one standing on the highlighted star of course. i'm not sure if i'd draw those white circles over the shadows, they are probably visible enough even when being painted under/subjected to the shadows on the ground. admittedly, we haven't seen any night shots yet...

and: what's with the drop cast shadows from the rangers and the one from the red barrel in the interior shot? they seem to be all over the place, with no discernible light source.

two more months, make it happen ;) :P

edit: But man; the character models look Ace! they also now sport, imho, the right amount of detail and FXAA blurrying (unlike the blurry original release) that they seemingly have more detail than meets the eye. (it's either a nice optical trick, or they are indeed that high res...). they look like little painted plastic figurines. i see a nice opportunity for additional revenue :P

edit 2: kudos to whoever did the blending between the patches of moss and grass on the ground and the 3d grass, those patches of grass and green in the corners everywhere are really one of the defining stylistic elements of WL2, and the effort put into them shows. They're, dare i say, lovely. also a kudos to whoever did the large bolder walls. it's hard to tell from the screenshots, what's 3d and whats normal mapping (or is there even tesselation? i doubt though)? that's some awesomely pronounced rock structure.

prvincent
Initiate

Post by prvincent » July 30th, 2015, 2:15 pm

When will the Director's Cut for Mac be released? Since the original crowdfunding was on the basis of there being a Mac version, it would be poor if this enhanced version ignored those Mac users who originally contributed to the funding of the game, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » July 30th, 2015, 3:23 pm

I guess "PC" stands here for Windows, Linux & Mac.
Apple’s computers have been standard PCs for quite a few years now.

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » July 30th, 2015, 3:30 pm

except for lacking aditional mouse buttons, have they ever NOT been PCs? (save for not WANTING to be called one)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 30th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Gruftlord wrote:except for lacking aditional mouse buttons, have they ever NOT been PCs? (save for not WANTING to be called one)
At times, and in some cases, PC informally stood for X86 compatible, and there was a time when Macs were not.

There was also a time when Mac had the strange reputation of being for artists, while PCs did not.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » July 30th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Gruftlord wrote:except for lacking aditional mouse buttons, have they ever NOT been PCs? (save for not WANTING to be called one)
At times, and in some cases, PC informally stood for X86 compatible, and there was a time when Macs were not.
Yep, that’s what I was talking about (PowerPC Macs vs. x86 Macs).
Gizmo wrote:There was also a time when Mac had the strange reputation of being for artists, while PCs did not.
This on the other hand I never really understood.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 31st, 2015, 2:14 am

I hope the Scorpitron is more deadly or has more special abilities in the DC, hated how it was possible to defeat them so easily at range with burst-AR attacks
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Reppu
Initiate

Post by Reppu » July 31st, 2015, 7:37 am

Hey hey!... Iron Man mode? plz plz...

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » July 31st, 2015, 8:17 am

Crosmando wrote:I hope the Scorpitron is more deadly or has more special abilities in the DC, hated how it was possible to defeat them so easily at range with burst-AR attacks
It looks like the scorpitron has gotten a visual upgrade, if nothing else. I think they're also dropping the Headshot mechanics from the vanilla version (replaced with the new Precision Shots system, which hopefully won't be as abusable). A big part of the problem with Assault Rifles in general was the ability to make burst-fire headshots, so that will hopefully take care of at least half the problem. Weapon rebalancing should hopefully take care of the other half.
Reppu wrote:Hey hey!... Iron Man mode? plz plz...
Honestly, Reppu, it's best to hold off on any sort of Iron Man mode until they're sure they've ironed out all of the bugs and balance issues. Otherwise, any sort of restricted save system might end up doing more bad than good.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 31st, 2015, 9:34 am

SagaDC wrote: It looks like the scorpitron has gotten a visual upgrade, if nothing else. I think they're also dropping the Headshot mechanics from the vanilla version (replaced with the new Precision Shots system, which hopefully won't be as abusable). A big part of the problem with Assault Rifles in general was the ability to make burst-fire headshots, so that will hopefully take care of at least half the problem. Weapon rebalancing should hopefully take care of the other half.
Yes, the Headshot mechanic is gone, though you can still target heads with Precision Strikes, The effects are different than the old Headshot mechanic, and there is a significant Chance to Hit penalty in firing on the head, though they will still do more damage than normal shots if they hit.

One of the changes made is that you cannot use burst fire with Precision Strikes, it will always use the "default" fire mode for the weapon (which is usually single shot). Any weapons that default to burst fire or full auto (machine guns, SMGs, and shotguns) typically cannot use Precision Strikes, though they have other benefits that make up for it (Perks, low AP cost, damage potential, etc.).

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » July 31st, 2015, 12:02 pm

vv221 wrote:
Gizmo wrote:There was also a time when Mac had the strange reputation of being for artists, while PCs did not.
This on the other hand I never really understood.
Apple used a clever marketing tactic in the early 90s, they gave free machines to schools. So very often, when someone started learning creative arts on a computer, it was with a Mac.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 31st, 2015, 2:32 pm

vv221 wrote:I guess "PC" stands here for Windows, Linux & Mac.
Correct. On Brian Fargo's Twitter, he says it's for all three.

I'm wondering, though, if it'll be compatible with Windows 10.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » July 31st, 2015, 2:35 pm

Mid October? Its sure taking you guys a while, especially with how many people postponed even touching the game before balancing patch, which eventually didn't materialize and transformed into DC edition.
Last edited by IHaveHugeNick on July 31st, 2015, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » July 31st, 2015, 2:59 pm

Drool wrote: I'm wondering, though, if it'll be compatible with Windows 10.
Works fine for me on Windows 10, along with the original version.

SparkusV
Novice

Post by SparkusV » August 1st, 2015, 10:29 am

Crosmando wrote:Spoiler
As someone waiting for this ballance patch to try further areas, I didn't need to read that.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » August 1st, 2015, 10:47 am

Then you probably shouldn't be reading forums a year after game released.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » August 1st, 2015, 11:39 am

SparkusV wrote:
As someone waiting for this ballance patch to try further areas, I didn't need to read that.
Director's Cut is a new release not a balance-patch, so game play will be different from previous version... most tactic advance for the previous version probably won't apply to the Director's Cut.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 1st, 2015, 11:58 am

Dork Mage wrote:
SparkusV wrote:
Director's Cut is a new release not a balance-patch, so game play will be different from previous version... most tactic advance for the previous version probably won't apply to the Director's Cut.
Especially since they've explicitly stated that AR headshot bursts won't exist any more.
Alwa nasci korliri das.