Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
Ranger1
Scholar
Posts: 157
Joined: April 24th, 2012, 3:00 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Ranger1 » March 5th, 2015, 7:04 pm

I'm only concerned for future games. Will they now be designed with concessions in mind for potential console release? Otherwise I'm cool with it; but I don't want to play a watered down game either.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9610
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Drool » March 5th, 2015, 9:17 pm

inXile isn't a faceless corporation beholden only to shareholders. It's a small team of developers. I wouldn't expect them to start watering down games because they have dollar signs in their eyes.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by -Archangel- » March 6th, 2015, 12:46 am

Today PC is again the main gaming platform, no need to cater to consoles first.

Funk
Initiate
Posts: 1
Joined: March 1st, 2015, 1:20 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Funk » March 6th, 2015, 1:27 am

The Mac version I've seen is so buggy, pathetic with the frame rate, and crash prone that it's kind of infuriating to learn of them moving on to console.

IMO, they still haven't finished what they are currently offering and previously sold to Mac users, quite frankly.

Guess they've moved on, eh?

User avatar
dorkboy
Master
Posts: 1772
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:37 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by dorkboy » March 6th, 2015, 2:30 am

Is there any indication that Unity 5 will improve the performance side of things?
marmelade & jam

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by -Archangel- » March 6th, 2015, 2:41 am

dorkboy wrote:Is there any indication that Unity 5 will improve the performance side of things?
I seen some other games that said they are moving to Unity 5 claim it will improve their performance.

citizen_x
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 3:27 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by citizen_x » March 6th, 2015, 5:39 am

Woolfe wrote: Being a Mod, doesn't preclude us from having or voicing opinions. None of us are paid by InXile.
But it makes it much more probable that youre gonna defend and side with them.
Ok that's funny.... Probably even ironic... Did you kickstart the game? You may not have seen the various areas where they basically state they don't care about mass market, publisher's not interested because it didn't fit the narrow margins they seem to set for "profitable" games etc.
Im cynical old man, stating something , and doing it , are two different things for me.Like WORLDS apart.What i see being DONE is half baked game being ported to console`s , even tho game on pc still has problems.Guy above mentioned MAC problems.Hopefully new patch will fix it.
Also, i remember vividly Brian Fargo stating they dont plan on making console versions of this :) .
Curious, I don't remember that, do you have link?. In fact all I ever remember was where they said they were focused on PC/MAC/Linux as the system, and that they had no intentions of releasing console/Mobile versions at initial release. They never ruled out going to either. In fact I think a Tablet version would probably fit well.
The talk was that they didnt plan on releasing console versions AT ALL and not at the release, it even still states that on wiki page "...There are no plans to support any consoles or handheld devices..."
also "Fargo has maintained that that $1.5 million mark would allow additional development of the game for both Mac and Linux. He added that no matter how much they receive though, there is no plan to bring Wasteland 2 to any console or handheld platform." from-> http://www.shacknews.com/article/72994/ ... sole-crowd i cant be bothered to search more/There was more.
Dont get me wrong, im not crying murder.But i dont see it being positive in ANY way for pc gamers, and i do see cons, and it leaves bad aftertaste with this whole doing business with ms/sony .But i guess porting W2 to x86 consoles running windows and linux is pretty easy in comparison to doing android version.
It sure sounds like murder. I am a gamer first. My preference is for PC gaming, but up until I had kids, I had most consoles as well. I will probably have consoles again when my kids are a bit older. I certainly have mobile gaming.
So long as they release it everywhere, and they actually pay attention to the control systems of each system type, I don't really care as I will get it on the system I want.
Well then you need to get your head straight, dude ranting before me was kinda shouting murder, im just being pessimistic about it all, i also had consoles, cdtv cd32 ps2 ,and played on most other ones.However in this day and age consoles and massive corporations behind them are just plain evil, theres no way to sugarcoat it,change is gradual, but still it gets worse and worse and people doesnt seem to mind when the change is slow.Pc can do ANYTHING a console can,and its the only way to democratize the market.So im not on the same page as you are on this.MS and Sony are going whole lotta too much 1984 on us.
One of the reasons W2 and torment got funded so well, was giving old grumpy men like me things they want in the way they like it.That is not the direction old grumpy men like it going.
Well Grumpy old men like us need to consider carefully what they back. You backed a game that was being brought to PC first. At no point did you back a game that was coming exclusively to PC.
Well, yea.Fully agree.I just think that devs should know, that by doing certain moves, they lose certain part of the base that made it all possible and profitable.I know im not the only one :) .
Lastly, just one thing, you said they stated again and again about not catering to and not giving a damn about mass market.Thats true, they said that time and time again.
But a move to xone and ps4 is EXACTLY THAT.So, talk is talk, doing things is a different thing.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5815
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Woolfe » March 6th, 2015, 6:49 am

citizen_x wrote:
Woolfe wrote: Being a Mod, doesn't preclude us from having or voicing opinions. None of us are paid by InXile.
But it makes it much more probable that youre gonna defend and side with them.
Whatever floats your boat.
Im cynical old man, stating something , and doing it , are two different things for me.Like WORLDS apart.What i see being DONE is half baked game being ported to console`s , even tho game on pc still has problems.Guy above mentioned MAC problems.Hopefully new patch will fix it.
Half Baked is a bit of an exageration. Game works. It plays well in fact. Could it be better, sure. But then so could a lot of games.
The talk was that they didnt plan on releasing console versions AT ALL and not at the release, it even still states that on wiki page "...There are no plans to support any consoles or handheld devices..."
also "Fargo has maintained that that $1.5 million mark would allow additional development of the game for both Mac and Linux. He added that no matter how much they receive though, there is no plan to bring Wasteland 2 to any console or handheld platform." from-> http://www.shacknews.com/article/72994/ ... sole-crowd i cant be bothered to search more/There was more.
Reread the article. You'll note they are specifically talking about the Kickstarter and the funds received (hence the 1.5 million comment). Its been out for 6 months now(almost). With the profits from sales during the early access and after release, they have been able to move to porting it to other systems. Makes sense to me. Especially as Unity makes it relatively simple to port between platforms.
Well then you need to get your head straight, dude ranting before me was kinda shouting murder, im just being pessimistic about it all, i also had consoles, cdtv cd32 ps2 ,and played on most other ones.However in this day and age consoles and massive corporations behind them are just plain evil, theres no way to sugarcoat it,change is gradual, but still it gets worse and worse and people doesnt seem to mind when the change is slow.Pc can do ANYTHING a console can,and its the only way to democratize the market.So im not on the same page as you are on this.MS and Sony are going whole lotta too much 1984 on us.
MS and Sony, they don't control the market. They never did. Even at the height of the "console" dominance period, PC gaming was still growing. Consoles are currently not the flavour of the month, but their market is still growing as well.
Were there companies actively trying to move to the Console platform and dump the PC platform. Yes. Where those companies smart to do so... Maybe at the time. The reality is now they would be foolish. How many publishers (that aren't owned by the console manufacturers) only release on 1 platform nowadays? The market can and does sustain multiple different platforms. Not only that, but it sustains multiple different niches within those markets. The kickstarter(and all the other copycat systems) have provided a new source of investment for the mid range devs. They can now build without having to pander to the publishers wishes.
As for this supposed "democratisation" of the market that PC is meant to bring. It is simply incorrect. You don't make money on the PC platform without Steam. They have a greater dominance than MS and Sony ever did in the console arena. We are simply fortunate that for the moment at least, they appear to be "good" for the industry.
Well, yea.Fully agree.I just think that devs should know, that by doing certain moves, they lose certain part of the base that made it all possible and profitable.I know im not the only one :) .
Lastly, just one thing, you said they stated again and again about not catering to and not giving a damn about mass market.Thats true, they said that time and time again.
But a move to xone and ps4 is EXACTLY THAT.So, talk is talk, doing things is a different thing.
Why because they are taking advantage of the fact that Unity makes it relatively easy to port between PC and Console. Its still the same game. They haven't magically morphed it into a console game on a pc, like Xcom was. That is alarmist rubbish and you know it. Now if all of a sudden they announced that Bard's Tale was going to be built for console first, then you would have something. But this is just FUD as it stands.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Salmanasar
Acolyte
Posts: 57
Joined: March 6th, 2015, 7:30 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Salmanasar » March 6th, 2015, 7:50 am

Ranger1 wrote:I'm only concerned for future games. Will they now be designed with concessions in mind for potential console release? Otherwise I'm cool with it; but I don't want to play a watered down game either.
This. Remember Witcher 2 case ("PC only game!".. yea,terrible gamepad interface and xbox ver announcement month after PC release).


I'd prefer restoration of cut content (Seal beach, gippers) than xbone version.. wonder who will play it and how.
Try to navigate with gamepad trough custom keywords, equipment, buried-things, menus-without-lists-and-tabs (like skyrim or Witcher 2) etc. You'll need to redesign whole UI and keep it separate from PC. All of that for very niche maket. Even Witcher 2 failed hard (everyone interested in this game played it on PC "long ago") despite its "consolish" design.

User avatar
ffordesoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1724
Joined: March 13th, 2012, 4:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by ffordesoon » March 6th, 2015, 7:54 am

I am not sure you understand what saying "we have no plans at the moment" means, citizen_x. It does not mean "We'll never, ever do it under any circumstances ever." It means that, at the time of whichever interview or tweet or whatever you are referring to, inXile had no plans to port Wasteland 2 to consoles. Given that this version is only just now happening and the game is unapologetically PC-centric, I am inclined to believe that they probably didn't have any plans to port it at the time.

But this is what was said: "We have no plans at the moment." That is not a categorical no. It is Fargo saying, "No, this game isn't going to be designed for consoles, but I'm not going to say it's never going to come to consoles after it's done, because I don't know what the future might bring and I have to keep my options open."

Now, I don't know why you read what he said and assumed it was a categorical no, but you did. Confirmation bias, perhaps. What I do know is that when a PC-centric developer ports a PC-centric game to consoles with enhancements which will be retroactively applied to the PC version, it is not cause for alarm, but celebration. Because more people get to play a good game, and said PC-centric developer can put the additional revenue earned from the console versions toward the development of new PC-centric games. Which is what I believe will happen, based on my own conversations with inXile employees over the years, and the fact that the Kickstarter market pays the most by far for games which are first and foremost PC titles. You should be worried when inXile starts losing staffers and the Kickstarter market starts favoring consoles over PC.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by -Archangel- » March 6th, 2015, 8:00 am

So when are we getting the PC info about WL2 GotY edition?

archaven
Novice
Posts: 25
Joined: February 10th, 2013, 12:32 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by archaven » March 6th, 2015, 8:21 am

Ranger1 wrote:I'm only concerned for future games. Will they now be designed with concessions in mind for potential console release? Otherwise I'm cool with it; but I don't want to play a watered down game either.
You HIT the nail exactly. That is what i fear most. Most games that became extremely popular on PC initially and later announced as a multi-platform game became watered, gimped, simplified and casualized. Most console gamers talk about taking platform wars away. I agree. But they never bother advising their brethrens who occasionally spew insults like pirates and beggars? Such irony?

Anyway. To not deter on the subject further. The point if a game that is planned as a multi-platform, it has to be designed and catered to the lowest denominator. You can have 100 spells game in a PC RPG but that is not going to be appealing to a console gamers who has 8 buttons on their controllers and they want to see "immediate" awesomeness when you mash the button. The design of the game simply has to cater to consoles so that when both games were release it won't feel unfair. That is why there this parity clause that is often talked about and where PC gamers are the victims that they will have to suffer capped 30FPS for the "cinematic" feel. Now that is only about the visual aspects. There are other aspects in the game such as the UI, controls, skills and mechanics as well. All it has to cater to a simplified console so that it can sell more.

This is fine when it's first released as a PC game and later ported to consoles. But when the sequel came, then PC gamers you have to suffer for a gimped experience. This is not just empty talk but many games that i have mentioned earlier are all that you can experienced for yourself.

citizen_x
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 3:27 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by citizen_x » March 6th, 2015, 8:42 am

ffordesoon wrote:I am not sure you understand what saying "we have no plans at the moment" means, citizen_x. It does not mean "We'll never, ever do it under any circumstances ever." It means that, at the time of whichever interview or tweet or whatever you are referring to, inXile had no plans to port Wasteland 2 to consoles. Given that this version is only just now happening and the game is unapologetically PC-centric, I am inclined to believe that they probably didn't have any plans to port it at the time.

But this is what was said: "We have no plans at the moment." That is not a categorical no. It is Fargo saying, "No, this game isn't going to be designed for consoles, but I'm not going to say it's never going to come to consoles after it's done, because I don't know what the future might bring and I have to keep my options open."

Now, I don't know why you read what he said and assumed it was a categorical no, but you did. Confirmation bias, perhaps. What I do know is that when a PC-centric developer ports a PC-centric game to consoles with enhancements which will be retroactively applied to the PC version, it is not cause for alarm, but celebration. Because more people get to play a good game, and said PC-centric developer can put the additional revenue earned from the console versions toward the development of new PC-centric games. Which is what I believe will happen, based on my own conversations with inXile employees over the years, and the fact that the Kickstarter market pays the most by far for games which are first and foremost PC titles. You should be worried when inXile starts losing staffers and the Kickstarter market starts favoring consoles over PC.
People, i understand what they did and why.It doesnt change the fact, that if the kickstarter would say :
lets make WL2 for pc and from revenue of that will gonna do console versions! they would get hella less money from both kickstarter and sales.
Also, they didnt say "ATM" NOWHERE, they just said they are building PC game for oldschool PC gamers without DRM (that part went halfhonest as retail store copies had STEAM drm).
Ofcourse, they didnt categorically said nowhere "WE ARE NOT MAKING CONSOLE VERSION 100% HONEST TO GOD CROSS MY HEART", but it was implied people, for all of us statement "we are making pc game for pc and have no plans for consoles", means, no consoles.
The enhacements you are talking about, could very well go into pc version without console version, and much easier and with less development costs, so i dont get why you are talking about that :).Console version, gives us,pc guys, nothing.I dont worry about kickstarter going console only, for many reasons, thats mostly PC people who are not casual gamers are pushing this.
I AM however worried about future inXile kickstarters, if people will be dissatissfied with the way inXile runs its business build upon other KS`s.Yea, thats something of a pickle.I mean of course, they can do whatever they want.But im not sure about this direction.Im gonna buy torment thats for sure, but its gonna be a)disc copy from store WITHOUT steam, or GOG at a later date.And with other projects, well , we will see where they are going with this console thing.

User avatar
The Tallest
Adventurer
Posts: 972
Joined: March 15th, 2012, 3:30 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition Xbox One trailer

Post by The Tallest » March 6th, 2015, 8:53 am

Woolfe wrote:God I hope not on the first, and Damn I hope so on the second :D
Damn. I've been out of it for a little while and all hell breaks loose. I've moved and haven't had a lot of time to play the game.

I kind of want to see all of those make it in game. But like it was posted on the first page, will these additions make it to the PC version of the game or will we need to rebuy the GOTY version? Will the GOTY version get a new boxed version?

Not that I'd mind buying it again but it'd be cool if the PC version we all already have will get these additions.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

citizen_x
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 3:27 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by citizen_x » March 6th, 2015, 9:14 am

The talk was that they didnt plan on releasing console versions AT ALL and not at the release, it even still states that on wiki page "...There are no plans to support any consoles or handheld devices..."
also "Fargo has maintained that that $1.5 million mark would allow additional development of the game for both Mac and Linux. He added that no matter how much they receive though, there is no plan to bring Wasteland 2 to any console or handheld platform." from-> http://www.shacknews.com/article/72994/ ... sole-crowd i cant be bothered to search more/There was more.
Reread the article. You'll note they are specifically talking about the Kickstarter and the funds received (hence the 1.5 million comment). Its been out for 6 months now(almost). With the profits from sales during the early access and after release, they have been able to move to porting it to other systems. Makes sense to me. Especially as Unity makes it relatively simple to port between platforms.
Well, you reread it then :) ->"The console interface is quite different when you consider the input device and proximity to the screen whereas the Mac and Linux are pretty much identical to that of the 'PC'. We will consider a tablet version due to the similarity of the screen and interface but even on that we need to do a bit more research." <- Which means tablet version on a later date MAYBE, and no to consoles.And yes of course i get why they are doing new consoles , its easiest from technical standpoint as they are basically PC`s.
Well then you need to get your head straight, dude ranting before me was kinda shouting murder, im just being pessimistic about it all, i also had consoles, cdtv cd32 ps2 ,and played on most other ones.However in this day and age consoles and massive corporations behind them are just plain evil, theres no way to sugarcoat it,change is gradual, but still it gets worse and worse and people doesnt seem to mind when the change is slow.Pc can do ANYTHING a console can,and its the only way to democratize the market.So im not on the same page as you are on this.MS and Sony are going whole lotta too much 1984 on us.
MS and Sony, they don't control the market. They never did. Even at the height of the "console" dominance period, PC gaming was still growing. Consoles are currently not the flavour of the month, but their market is still growing as well.
Were there companies actively trying to move to the Console platform and dump the PC platform. Yes. Where those companies smart to do so... Maybe at the time. The reality is now they would be foolish. How many publishers (that aren't owned by the console manufacturers) only release on 1 platform nowadays? The market can and does sustain multiple different platforms. Not only that, but it sustains multiple different niches within those markets. The kickstarter(and all the other copycat systems) have provided a new source of investment for the mid range devs. They can now build without having to pander to the publishers wishes.
As for this supposed "democratisation" of the market that PC is meant to bring. It is simply incorrect. You don't make money on the PC platform without Steam. They have a greater dominance than MS and Sony ever did in the console arena. We are simply fortunate that for the moment at least, they appear to be "good" for the industry.
First, MS and Sony are our overlords when it comes to gaming and publishers, i cant fathom why you think otherwise.Only bit they dont fully own is PC, but on consoles that DUOPOLY reigns supreme,and its NOT GOOD for ANY gamer.Every multiplatform publisher/developer has to constantly negotiate with them, and give them cuts ,they OWN multiplayer only pc excluded."I dont even" how you dont see that.There are probably hundreds of cases why MS and Sony are bad for the industry, and Brian fargo would agree.But nvrmd.As for PC.
You say Steam, yea, Origin, yea.BUT, we have other ! And i say pc is only chance, because on PC there is even remote possibility of getting stuff from multiple sources, at different prices, with different DRM.On consoles, there is no choice, and there never will be.You buy a consoles, you pay monthly fees to be able to play a game which was overpriced from the beginning and had to follow MS/SONY guildelines ,and they HAVE to pay them a cut.Ofcourse STEAM is big and bad to a degree.But There are alternatives, and its the only platform there CAN BE alternatives.I hope you understand what i mean now.Not to say, that i can still buy certain games in a store and just play them.
Well, yea.Fully agree.I just think that devs should know, that by doing certain moves, they lose certain part of the base that made it all possible and profitable.I know im not the only one :) .
Lastly, just one thing, you said they stated again and again about not catering to and not giving a damn about mass market.Thats true, they said that time and time again.
But a move to xone and ps4 is EXACTLY THAT.So, talk is talk, doing things is a different thing.
Why because they are taking advantage of the fact that Unity makes it relatively easy to port between PC and Console. Its still the same game. They haven't magically morphed it into a console game on a pc, like Xcom was. That is alarmist rubbish and you know it. Now if all of a sudden they announced that Bard's Tale was going to be built for console first, then you would have something. But this is just FUD as it stands.[/quote]
Well, i said multiple times that "we will see" , but talk is cheap and only real actions matter.So , we will see.
But still, as a fan , as a old school PC gamer, i rather would see expansion pack for W2 announced, or W3 kickstarter than blowing money on some god awful consoles.That shouldnt be a hard thing to understand.And really, there were many developers, which in time produced worse and worse games, Dragon Age 2 and mass effect 3 being the biggest disappointments in recent years (to a guy before, honest to god i cant fathom how you can say ME3 was harder and more complex than kotor or ME1, i finished it on hard, quickly and without spending XP, game was short , had QTE`s and was sometimes massively stupid).
Ending rant.I have really high expectations for torment, planescape is my second favorite game of all time (first being F2)and i hope that with this big KS, teething problems out of the way (W2 was somewhat a company starter) it will be excellent, and wont be made for consoles :P.

Excalibur_2102
Initiate
Posts: 10
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Excalibur_2102 » March 6th, 2015, 9:24 am

I'm fairly confident that these changes will just be patched to the PC version for no additional cost, in a similar way to the Witcher enhanced editions. At the very least id have thought they wouldnt expect their backers to pay for this, but i wouldnt be suprised if it was free for the entire PC community. They could release a serparate boxed version by all means, but 'Im unsure if it would be worth it. We will see.

I like the look of all the changes and Im looking forward to playing (I still have not started the game yet, other than played the beginning while in beta), but it does bother me slightly that the physical manual I have will likely have a fairly large amount of inconsistency with the game when I actually get round to playing :/. Part of my reason for going for the physical edition was so I could use the physical manual while playing. But over all I would obviously rather see the improvements added to the game than not.

I'm not at all concerned about porting to the consoles either from my personal perspective. As others have said it is still a PC game designed for the PC from the ground up as the devs said it would be in first place, and I'm not disappointed in this regard. Take this in comparison to dragon age inquisition, which was also marketed as a "PC" specialised game at one point, which was then released to play pretty badly on PC with mouse and keyboard and clearly designed more so with consoles in mind. I do question porting to consoles on a business level however, as I dont really know if there is much of a market for WL2 on the consoles. But I suppose inXile have looked in to the market potential much more than I have.

Will be interesting to see their focus on the Bards Tale KS, but I dont believe they will do a full U turn and suddenly decide that they favour consoles.

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by IHaveHugeNick » March 6th, 2015, 9:27 am

citizen_x wrote: I AM however worried about future inXile kickstarters, if people will be dissatissfied with the way inXile runs its business build upon other KS`s.Yea, thats something of a pickle.I mean of course, they can do whatever they want.But im not sure about this direction.Im gonna buy torment thats for sure, but its gonna be a)disc copy from store WITHOUT steam, or GOG at a later date.And with other projects, well , we will see where they are going with this console thing.
Dude, since when its your business how they run their business? You backed one game, you received one game, that's about the end of any obligations InExile has to you. I don't give a rats ass if they make console version, mobile version, or whether they switch their entire profile to developing pink dildos or weapons of mass destruction. Its their money to use as they please.

a) As far as we know they're still 100% dedicated PC market for now and the foreseeable future. The rest is just you throwing out baseless speculations.

b)You're a backer, not a shareholder. You don't get to decide where the entire company will go for the next 10 years and throw temper tantrums should they choose different direction, just because you gave them 15 bucks.

Get a grip, the self-entitlement and baseless alarmist hysteria in your posts is too damn high.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

citizen_x
Novice
Posts: 45
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 3:27 am

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by citizen_x » March 6th, 2015, 9:44 am


Dude, since when its your business how they run their business? You backed one game, you received one game, that's about the end of any obligations InExile has to you. I don't give a rats ass if they make console version, mobile version, or whether they switch their entire profile to developing pink dildos or weapons of mass destruction. Its their money to use as they please.

a) As far as we know they're still 100% dedicated PC market for now and the foreseeable future. The rest is just you throwing out baseless speculations.

b)You're a backer, not a shareholder. You don't get to decide where the entire company will go for the next 10 years and throw temper tantrums should they choose different direction, just because you gave them 15 bucks.

Get a grip, the self-entitlement and baseless alarmist hysteria in your posts is too damn high.
Well, as you seem to have a problem reading, i will reiterate, that they CAN DO AS THEY PLEASE.Which, in turn doesnt have anything to do with the fact that i can voice my opinion on the matter . yes ?
You seem to be a guy with THE RAGE, not me, im telling it how i see it, and youre just spewing some fox like freedom propaganda :).I didnt say ONCE they owe me anything, but i also think that they should know how their base feels about changes they make.So, get a grip, smoke some relaxer and stop the hysteria.Also, i dont give a rats ass that you dont give a rats ass.Thanks for very insightful and meaningful post.
Maybe you should get off your high horse and remember inXile and Brian Fargo, have said many times that they listen to what they community has to say, they will of course do what they want, but they wanted the feedback.

User avatar
paultakeda
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2780
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 2:47 pm
Location: AAAAAARGH!

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by paultakeda » March 6th, 2015, 11:01 am

Dial it back on the ad hominem comments, please. Let's keep the thread on track and not derail into yet another PC versus console flame war.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9610
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Wasteland 2 GOTY Edition announced for Xbox One and PS4

Post by Drool » March 6th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Funk wrote:The Mac version I've seen is so buggy, pathetic with the frame rate, and crash prone that it's kind of infuriating to learn of them moving on to console.
Yeah, problems they haven't been able to replicate in the office, which is why they've gone so far as to ask if any Mac users would be willing to stop by to office or ship their Mac. They've been trying since release to solve that problem.

And not once have they said the problem was that people want to game on a Mac. Rather big of them, I think.
citizen_x wrote:But it makes it much more probable that youre gonna defend and side with them.
Pfft. Yeah. We've all been in complete lockstep every inch of the way. I may be blase with them about management and company decisions, but I'm hardly a cheerleader. I'd just rather fight fights about game design and what shape their next games will take than their decision to port a game to a console.

But if you want to die on the platform hill, that's your choice. I just think there's far more important battles (like making sure they don't try to graft the abominable CLASSIC into Bard's Tale 4).
archaven wrote:You HIT the nail exactly. That is what i fear most. Most games that became extremely popular on PC initially and later announced as a multi-platform game became watered, gimped, simplified and casualized.
This is very true, yes. However, there's more at work here than just Success --> Console. In a traditional model, you need to cast the widest net possible, because you are sinking a lot of money into something and you won't see a return on investment until the end of the project. We can completely take shareholders and investors out of the equation here, and just deal with raw numbers.

If you, as a company, spend $60 million making a game, you had better sell enough copies to make up that money, or you've got problems. That means selling, probably, close to two million units at $60 a pop to cover retail cuts, taxes, advertising, etc etc etc. If you want to move millions of units, you're probably going to want to target more than just PC, which means consoles. But since you're going after them from the start, you design your UI around it, and we end up with Skyrim's clunky interface.

No arguments there at all. Console success can indeed lead to a watering down of games.

But, that's not the business plan that inXile is using. They aren't sinking millions of dollars and then relying on sales to recoup their investment before charging into the promised land of profits. They're going to Kickstarter (and Steam Early Access and the like) to get the money for the game up front. Come launch day, instead of being X million dollars in the red, they're at (or around) $0. They don't need to pander because they have their money already. In theory every sale after launch is straight up profit. Money that can be spent... well... however they want. Buying Brian Fargo a solid gold Gulf Stream jet, for instance. Or, say, porting the already-paid-for and currently-generating-profit game over to ports to make even more money.

Kickstarter is a double-edged sword for inXile. In essence, they can do what you fear exactly once. The moment they Kickstart a game and release is as a watered-down game that's clearly designed with easy porting to console afterwards, is the moment they've had their last successful Kickstarter. Nobody would give them money again because of that betrayal. So while they can skip the usual bullshit with getting a game to market, they have even more pressure to be true to their roots and their PC base because that very base is the one funding their games sight unseen.

And, also, the types of games that Fargo seems to want to make really aren't the kind that most console-only players will care about. If they tried to toss PC gamers under the bus to appeal to console gamers, they'd find themselves sorely underfunded.

Frankly, the only thing about the porting that makes me raise an eyebrow is just why they're bothering. I don't imagine it will be a big seller on consoles. But... whatever. It's their profits.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests