Update 60: Work… work never changes

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 60: Work… work never changes

Post by Brother None » February 27th, 2015, 8:09 am

Kickstarter Update 60 is here! Come hear the news on what we've been working on since the start of the year, and some hints on what to expect for the future of Wasteland 2!
And we’re not done yet…

If you've been keeping a close eye on things, you might have heard tell that we're looking at doing some more balancing and improvements of Wasteland 2 in the future. We have expanded our original plan and decided that this is going to be a part of something much larger for all our fans.

In pursuit of this goal, one task we're working on right now is migrating the Wasteland 2 codebase from the Unity 4.5 engine to Unity 5, which will enable some new possibilities for us. A major benefit of moving to Unity 5 is that 5 will include many of the tools from Unity 4.x Pro. We relied on many of these tools during our development (like creating and building navigation meshes), and they will be available to modders without having to pay thousands of dollars for a Pro Unity license. There is no doubt that this migration will allow us to release better tools for modding to our community in the future.

So what’s the “something bigger” that I teased earlier? Let’s just say that the Orange County lifestyle might be getting to us as the game will be receiving a facelift. Unity 5 offers physically based shading, which is already starting to look amazing in the scenes we’ve touched up.

As well as visual improvements, we have quite a few quirky tricks up our sleeves. The character system is getting perked up and will include some new elements to modify gameplay. Of course, more details will be released in the future so stay tuned!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Vault_13
Scholar

Re: Update 60: Work… work never changes

Post by Vault_13 » February 27th, 2015, 8:30 am

:shock:

Can't wait!

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » February 27th, 2015, 8:37 am

sounds good :D

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » February 27th, 2015, 8:41 am

Haha, "perked up".

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » February 27th, 2015, 9:02 am

If the game is planning on adding a XCom \ Shadowrun skill set where you gain abilities the more points you put into a skill. I don't mind waiting.

But if the balancing changes are being delayed to add mod tools and fancy lighting - it is just annoying.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » February 27th, 2015, 9:25 am

That's a teaser and a half, with teasy bits in the middle.

Migrating the code base sounds like fun. :)
marmelade & jam

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 27th, 2015, 11:13 am

Sounds tasty :)
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

pseudonymous
Scholar

Post by pseudonymous » February 27th, 2015, 11:21 am

But will it fix the incredibly annoying camera controls (pressing MMB really should automatically turn off edge scrolling and keyboard rotation shouldn't be limited to 20 degree increments), camera lockups during combat, and general graphical shenanigans like the shadow maps being locked to cursor?

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 27th, 2015, 11:36 am

-Archangel- wrote:Haha, "perked up".
Yeah, that can't be just a turn of phrase :D

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » February 27th, 2015, 2:19 pm

PiPboy wrote:If the game is planning on adding a XCom \ Shadowrun skill set where you gain abilities the more points you put into a skill. I don't mind waiting.

But if the balancing changes are being delayed to add mod tools and fancy lighting - it is just annoying.
Probably not. But they will add Fallout kind of Perks or better.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 27th, 2015, 2:50 pm

PiPboy wrote:But if the balancing changes are being delayed to add mod tools and fancy lighting - it is just annoying.
Gotta agree with this. A numbers patch and an engine patch could be two separate patches. I'm still waiting for my "final version" playthrough and I don't care at all about better graphics.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » February 27th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Sounds like marketing move to join those patches together. Refined graphics, rebalancing, expanded character builds...good enough to advertise it as Wasteland 2: Definitive Edition and bathe in sales.

Quite a bit of my buddies are also waiting for rebalancing to start playing, but tbh, they're doing all that stuff essentially for free, might as well try and make some money of it.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » February 27th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Any addition to a rather mediocre character system will (hopefully) be a welcome one.

The game has been one and done for me thus far (didn't think this would be the case for me when I first backed) so I'm mostly looking forward to balance changes rather than the eye candy portion.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

gringe
Initiate

Post by gringe » February 28th, 2015, 12:15 am

Awesome!

Still got my fingers crossed that a full-blown expansion is still in the cards, as was mentioned in some interviews a while back.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » February 28th, 2015, 2:47 am

I think long post release support is good for 2 reasons

1. The distribution of games has changed. With digital distribution (im talking about steam) games have a much longer time on the market. The number of sold games in a particular time frame is very strongly linked to price reductions. Wheras traditional distribution via stores has a curve which peeks short after initial release - maybe later on there is a complete edition or something like that to sell it a second time. on steam many games get sold periodically over a long period of time. Every time skyrim or civilization has a price reduction, its on top of the charts. So its good to not only offer price reductions, but also to support the game for a long time. Because a good game gets easily sold for a few years on steam. Especially if you keep supporting it. Thats why i also like an upgrade of the graphics and unity 5. Computers in general will be much more powerful in 5 years. But like in Witcher all those later features should be for free for all people who previously purchased the game (perhaps except big expansions, Wasteland 2.5.. but i would prefer W3 instaed :D). I think this is very important to make a clear distinction to DLC like selling methods. You buy the whole game once.

2. A game like Wasteland 2 needs much iteration, much bug fixes etc. So much iteration like a blizzard game. But you cant beta test a RPG for many years.. like most other rpgs wasteland 2 needs post release support to get into a polished state.

Andross
Acolyte

Post by Andross » February 28th, 2015, 3:46 am

I don't think this movement can do much to improve the game's quality at this point, but still it's very nice to see that inXile wants to keep supporting this project. Anyway, on a technical side I'd like to see added stuff like these:

- A day/night cycle affecting aiming would add to the game's atmosphere and an interesting possibilite regarding perks/traits effects. If the game had a stealth skill and items like incendiary grenades or light sources would make this addition far more suitable, but still.
- Improvements over the enemy and companion's AI are much needed. It's sad to see a robot wasting half a turn moving back and forth, and human groups attacking in a completely chaotic and non-tactical way.
- To make character systems and dialogues more interesting, it would be great if some of the perks, traits and attributes added additional ways to solve a mission or simply changed the options' text depending on the ranger's stats to add flavor in an Arcanum-esque way.
- It would be shockingly nice if more options to advance through Arizona/California were implemented. I mean, why cannot a skilled repairman fix AG Center/Highpool/Rodia's broken radio tower? Why aren't there pacific paths available more often? Why can't the ranger team try using all the three dialogue skills in every conflict adding even more plausible and logical ways to finish a mission? I could go on for hours.
- Some changes in Arizona's areas would make RNC and the Prison's exploration more comfortable. Also, there should be some kind of collapse or any other excuse for the miners to not be able to go out the LU's mine after you kill the badgers.
- I'd appreciate a revision over the game's portraits distribution to make them fit with the descriptions and the in-game's model and make sure all the important NPCs have an unique one while some of the less relevant ones get removed.
- Adding more reactivity would be nice.
- Implementing more combat options and weapons (like mines, smoke grenades, the possibility to go prone, flame-throwers and skills tied to stealth, throwing grenades and using bazookas) would make the whole combat experience more fun and interesting.

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » February 28th, 2015, 5:08 am

-Archangel- wrote:
PiPboy wrote:If the game is planning on adding a XCom \ Shadowrun skill set where you gain abilities the more points you put into a skill. I don't mind waiting.

Probably not. But they will add Fallout kind of Perks or better.
As a huge fallout fan [ Hence avatar \ Name ]
Wasteland 2 doesn't live up to it. Wasteland 2 is more similar to Fallout Tactics ( made by Team 17 ) instead of Fallout 2. Its heavily combat oriented which is sad. So the perk system it self won't make too much of a difference in my opinion.

A combat oriented game should instead focus on combat skills. Which XCom did wonderfully and Longwar mod added upon.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » February 28th, 2015, 6:41 am

This is not Xcom. Get over it.

Jukkahvi
Scholar

Post by Jukkahvi » February 28th, 2015, 7:49 am

OMG I thought this was dusted 'n' done. :) You folks just don't give up

Alright, I'm hyped

PiPboy
Explorer

Post by PiPboy » February 28th, 2015, 8:13 am

-Archangel- wrote:This is not Xcom. Get over it.
Who cares if it is not XCom - its about learning from good product.
XCom has fantastic mixture of both Perks + Skills.
Its known for its combat difficulty and weapon balance.