Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by -Archangel- » December 12th, 2014, 5:51 am

Who said anything about mass market?

I am talking about their market. Their market is WL1 fans, Fallout 1/2 fans and the rest. With the base design of WL2 (old school) they already said screw the rest and didn't make a game that catered to those (although I am sure a fair bit of sales came from those people as well).

InXile understands Fallout 1/2 fans outnumber WL1 fans by a lot. This is why they name dropped Fallout all over the place (interviews, Steam page and strongly alluded to it on KS). This is why the game resembles Fallout in many things. But the true Fallout fanboys expected even more resemblance and didn't get it.

What you claim is that InXile didn't on purpose use Fallout to promote WL2, but you don't have any proof for it while multiple interviews and Steam page says differently.

User avatar
Lucius
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: March 9th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Lucius » December 12th, 2014, 12:35 pm

I'm sorry but I don't think people who become blinded by marketing should blame the companies. Blind trust is never a good thing.

I would say the same thing to Krellen. He expected a very different WL2. When he learned of all the Fallout elements he basically rage quit on the game. Considering the marketing, I have no idea how he thought this would be a 2d tile based game.

People need to learn to be more objective when it comes to marketing. Again, I feel if someone feels deluded then that is there fault for coming to a conclusion without researching what they were buying into or they did and approached it with motivated reasoning. It's not inXile's fault that people heard what they wanted to hear instead of listening to what was actually being said.

User avatar
kurosawa
Acolyte
Posts: 80
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 1:48 am
Location: Germany

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by kurosawa » December 12th, 2014, 12:51 pm

...what are you talking all about? its a lot of bla bla bla ...

what inxile offered (and others) is a nice new way to get the minority a voice. it feels like the flood of the mainstream is entering this space.

and now, to something completely different...

p.s.
please inxile... give us the timetravel to avoid trolls growing under their bridges
"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." , The Departed (2006)

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9675
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Drool » December 12th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Lucius wrote:I would say the same thing to Krellen. He expected a very different WL2. When he learned of all the Fallout elements he basically rage quit on the game.
He left before any big Fallout elements went in. He was expecting a top-down blobber; WL1 with updated graphics but essentially the same UI. He reduced his pledge when he heard it was going to be a 3D engine, and then vanished when we learned it was going to be pseudo-iso. I always assumed he cancelled his pledge whole cloth, or dropped it to the $15-get-the-game-and-nothing-else level.

Every now and then, I wonder what he thinks of the game. My guess is that he probably hates it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5835
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Woolfe » December 12th, 2014, 3:19 pm

-Archangel- wrote: That said, InXile used Fallout too much in marketing. That is why I say it is their fault. They got the people hopes up only to smash them.
In the marketing? Are you sure? Or are you referring to the Interviews etc. Where the articles all lead with what they previously made/created? The same as they do with almost every article/interview of any seasoned game devs/movie producers/Authors/content creators?
Same is now happening with Pillars of Eternity. They named dropped all IE games (even more than WL2 did with Fallout) only to make a game J.E.Sawyer wants instead of what IE games fans want. When the game is released there are going to be a lot of butthurt people on metacritic again.
I didn't back it so haven't been paying close attention. But again these people are foolish. Sitting back and watching from the outside as I am I don't even recall the references to Infinity Engine for PoE.
As far who is deluded, it is only people that think that WL2 would raise as much money as it did if it didn't use Fallout as reference.
Fallout is by far more popular franchise than Wasteland, even before Betsheda made a more casual version of the game.
Sure. But there is a difference between thinking, "Hey they made that game and it was good, so they may well make another good game" and "Hey they made that game, and it was good, and clearly they are going to make it again, even though they keep calling it something different, there is a previous game with a strong if not as big fanbase, and legally they would be in strife, and at no point have they ever even suggested that they are making the same game. Obviously they are going to make that game, why wouldn't they."
Fools and their money are soon parted. At least they parted with it to a good cause. :D
-Archangel- wrote:What you claim is that InXile didn't on purpose use Fallout to promote WL2, but you don't have any proof for it while multiple interviews and Steam page says differently.
No one is claiming that. Aside from the KS, the only references to FO, have been about certain mechanics where it makes sense to compare the two. Except where the press have raised it. Interestingly all the press also only ever raise it as a reference point.
I don't understand why people think "oh they made game XYZ, therefore all games will be a variation on XYZ" based on that sort of thing.
Drool wrote:Every now and then, I wonder what he thinks of the game. My guess is that he probably hates it.
Yeah me too. I liked Krellen, but he was as bad if not worse than the FO fans we are talking about.
Seriously people have to expect things to change. Even if they had of been making FO, there would have been changes. The industry HAS moved, there are different techniques etc. Stuff will change, but the core gameplay and story that made the original needs to stay similar.
I think WL2 captures most of that. They could have done a few things differently and not done some other things, but overall I feel like they hav built a good successor, that will only get better with age(and mods).
kurosawa wrote:please inxile... give us the timetravel to avoid trolls growing under their bridges
Trust me, the trolls will grow anywhere... :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 12th, 2014, 4:15 pm

What makes you think it wouldn't get the same amount of money if it didn't reference Fallout?

Double Fine got 3 million $ just by saying "Hey, we're making a game, throw all your savings at us". That's literally their entire pitch. You know why it worked so good ? Because Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Wasteland got so much cash because the project was lead by Brian Fargo, who to many people, including yours truly, is THE oldschool RPG dude, because , amongst other things, his name is first thing that you see in original Fallouts.

That was the reason it had so much pull, not because he went and mentioned Fallout in an offbeat comment to random interviewer 3 weeks into Kickstarter campaign.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by -Archangel- » December 12th, 2014, 4:23 pm

IHaveHugeNick wrote:What makes you think it wouldn't get the same amount of money if it didn't reference Fallout?

Double Fine got 3 million $ just by saying "Hey, we're making a game, throw all your savings at us". That's literally their entire pitch. You know why it worked so good ? Because Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

Wasteland got so much cash because the project was lead by Brian Fargo, who to many people, including yours truly, is THE oldschool RPG dude, because , amongst other things, his name is first thing that you see in original Fallouts.

That was the reason it had so much pull, not because he went and mentioned Fallout in an offbeat comment to random interviewer 3 weeks into Kickstarter campaign.
Lol.
You just said it yourself that Fallout gave them more money.

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5133
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Crosmando » December 13th, 2014, 4:21 am

Just let Fallout rest in peace, that shit is done, there's no life left in the series. Bard's Tale or Meantime are interesting because they're fresh ideas that haven't been touched on in decades (or for Meantime, never).
Matthias did nothing wrong!

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 13th, 2014, 6:59 am

-Archangel- wrote: Lol.
You just said it yourself that Fallout gave them more money.
Er, yeah, whatever you say dude.

Oddly enough ,as you can see here - https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/ad ... ost_funded, there's been hundreds of post-apocalyptic games on Kickstarter, many directly referencing Fallout, and most of them never breaking 50k $ in pledges.

But sure, InExile just went and got 3 milion $ "because Fallout".


You're so desperate on bending the reality to fit your hallucinations, you're not even operating in the same plane of existence.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by -Archangel- » December 13th, 2014, 8:02 am

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
-Archangel- wrote: Lol.
You just said it yourself that Fallout gave them more money.
Er, yeah, whatever you say dude.

Oddly enough ,as you can see here - https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/ad ... ost_funded, there's been hundreds of post-apocalyptic games on Kickstarter, many directly referencing Fallout, and most of them never breaking 50k $ in pledges.

But sure, InExile just went and got 3 milion $ "because Fallout".


You're so desperate on bending the reality to fit your hallucinations, you're not even operating in the same plane of existence.
There is a difference when Brian Fargo (the first name you see in Fallout as you said it) makes a game in the vein of F1/2 and when nobodies want to do it. Also Brian Fargo started the KS rise of RPGs, after that there were too many trying to do the same. There are lots of articles that talk about how and why later games could not accomplish what those at start did, read those instead of trying to falsely prove your point and belittle me in the process

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5835
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Woolfe » December 13th, 2014, 9:16 am

Stop arguing, you are both right.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 13th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Well, now we are, considering he just repeated my post about Fargo as his own. Yohoho.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by -Archangel- » December 13th, 2014, 4:03 pm

I think you also don't know what you are talking about by now.

yap
Initiate
Posts: 4
Joined: November 7th, 2014, 9:58 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by yap » December 16th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Is the OS X version ever going to support Steam achievements?

User avatar
Brother None
Developer
Posts: 2911
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Brother None » December 17th, 2014, 4:18 am

yap wrote:Is the OS X version ever going to support Steam achievements?
Yes. Didn't make it into this patch but we're working on it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

yap
Initiate
Posts: 4
Joined: November 7th, 2014, 9:58 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by yap » December 18th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Good enough for me. Thanks!

mogroka
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: January 17th, 2015, 5:36 am

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by mogroka » January 17th, 2015, 5:47 am

Thanks

User avatar
Lexx
Scholar
Posts: 188
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Lexx » February 3rd, 2015, 11:34 am

Just wondering right now, because I didn't heard any news in a while. Is there still stuff going to happen with Wasteland 2? E.g. is the talk about that possible expansion still in the race? If many / most people moved on to Torment, I'll guess it slowed down progression drastically?

User avatar
Zombra
Global Moderator
Posts: 6207
Joined: March 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Zombra » February 3rd, 2015, 12:17 pm

Lexx wrote:Just wondering right now, because I didn't heard any news in a while. Is there still stuff going to happen with Wasteland 2?
There are two more big patches in the works right now: a new bug fixing type one to be released in a couple weeks (last I heard), and a balance/overhaul patch further down the road.

As for expansions, sequels, and commemorative plates, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Image

User avatar
enderandrew
Scholar
Posts: 171
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by enderandrew » February 24th, 2015, 4:35 pm

I've been holding off on playing Wasteland 2 until the mod tools drop. I generally don't play PC games at release (though I'll back them on KS or pre-order special editions of RPGs to support them). Waiting means when I do play it, the game will be patched up. Mod tools also mean I can get community fixes, so I've been waiting for that.

With Shroud of the Avatar, Starr Long said mod tools were something he wanted to avoid because Unity didn't lend itself to post-release extensibility. I'm curious if inXile regrets promising mod tools and if they are particularly difficult to deliver with Unity.

That being said, when that hurdle is crossed, I'm hoping we'll see the toolkit updated for future inXile games as well.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest