Wasteland External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

marceror
Adventurer

Re: Wasteland External News Thread

Post by marceror » November 24th, 2016, 5:50 pm

sear wrote:Red Bull did an interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Keenan about Wasteland 3, you can check it out here: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories ... asteland-3
After spending time in Arizona for Wasteland 2, Fargo is happy to tell us how the new setting, Colorado, fits into the lore. “The idea was that the Rangers [the dominant faction in the Wasteland] wanted to expand their territory and bring law and order not just to Arizona, but to the rest of the States.
But does this explanation *actually* allow the move to CO fit into the lore? In WL2 the Rangers were apprehensive to police their old territory in AZ. The eastern portion had been taken over by the Red Skorpions as a result. Now they want to police the rest of the states, when they can't even police their own state?

I hope there's a good explanation for how this small group goes from barely able to handle their own backyard to thinking they can protect "the rest of the states" as well. On the surface this sounds like this actually does not fit the lore well at all.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 24th, 2016, 8:09 pm

marceror wrote:
sear wrote:Red Bull did an interview with Brian Fargo and Chris Keenan about Wasteland 3, you can check it out here: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories ... asteland-3
After spending time in Arizona for Wasteland 2, Fargo is happy to tell us how the new setting, Colorado, fits into the lore. “The idea was that the Rangers [the dominant faction in the Wasteland] wanted to expand their territory and bring law and order not just to Arizona, but to the rest of the States.
But does this explanation *actually* allow the move to CO fit into the lore? In WL2 the Rangers were apprehensive to police their old territory in AZ. The eastern portion had been taken over by the Red Skorpions as a result. Now they want to police the rest of the states, when they can't even police their own state?

I hope there's a good explanation for how this small group goes from barely able to handle their own backyard to thinking they can protect "the rest of the states" as well. On the surface this sounds like this actually does not fit the lore well at all.
Once the floodgates open I guess. That is not a concern to me story wise. It makes sense in a way they already starting with scouting other areas, it becomes a bit of a situation of grow or someone else will.

What is more important is whether this is going to be a bloody "chosen one", "I am completing the metamorphosis into a Fallout clone" game. Cause I know a few of the Wasteland fans who will have some choice words about that....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » November 24th, 2016, 8:32 pm

It will be a chosen one game. That was also confirmed in this interview.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 24th, 2016, 8:50 pm

So let's hear it from them. All official like. Not just from some interview.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 25th, 2016, 12:37 pm

“I like the concept of you starting off alone and trying to survive with all the elements against you, so you don’t get the luxury of having your squad around helping to save your ass,” starts Fargo. “The thing with role-playing games is that at the start, we’re already asking you to spec out a guy before you really understand what’s best. And it compounds the problem when we’re asking you to spec out four people before you know what’s best. So, for all those reasons, we really liked that, from both a psychological perspective and also from a gameplay perspective.”
Yeah, that sounds pretty chosen one to me. Hey. Brian. If you used LEARN BY DOING, character creation wouldn't be this huge bugbear you're apparently terrified of. Glad I didn't go nuts with my pledge.
marceror wrote:I hope there's a good explanation for how this small group goes from barely able to handle their own backyard to thinking they can protect "the rest of the states" as well.
Maybe we were a splinter group who left because Vargas is a pants-on-head moron who probably needs help tying his boots. I wouldn't take orders from him either.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » November 27th, 2016, 6:01 am

In the event that others read the replies here and do not realize that inXile posted further clarification in another topic, this game really will be party-based, but the player begins the game creating only one ranger; later, the player will create more rangers, and if the first created ranger dies, the game does not end.

Read sear's post on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16052&start=100
sear wrote:Hey guys, thanks for voicing your thoughts. However, you are reading too much into that interview. In Wasteland 3, we're still building on Wasteland 2's party-based system and giving you the ability to create and customize Rangers. The main difference is we're planning for you to start out as a single character, before forming a full party out of created characters and companions.
and read Brother None's post on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16052&start=120
Brother None wrote:
paultakeda wrote:And if that single character dies but one or more of the party created later do not, does the game end?
You can still continue playing if that character dies.

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » January 31st, 2017, 5:36 pm

New feature in Games™ magazine:

Hope somebody has a copy.

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » January 31st, 2017, 6:12 pm

Got it. This is the Wasteland 3 part:
What is your biggest ambition with regard to Wasteland 3?

Fargo: I’d like the post-apocalyptic RPG crown back [laughter]. I think there is an opportunity with what we are doing with the Wasteland series to really cement our affinity to that little genre, which I grew up with and loved. I think the Fallout series has perhaps become a little too monster oriented. With me, I’m more into The Road, Swansong and The Stand; I like those aspects of civilisation breaking down and what it means from a real personal, human level, I find that fascinating. And so Wasteland 3 is more focused on that than, say, monsters – and of course we do have sci-fi elements because that’s what the Wasteland series is about. Then we have the multiplayer aspect, which is going to be great and we are going to do some super clever stuff with that.

The multiplayer in Wasteland 3 looks like it has the potential to be incredibly mischievous…

Fargo: What we find is that most people, when they play with a friend, don’t want to destroy the experience for the other person, they just want to tweak it a little–maybe get them arrested or thrown in prison or something, but they don’t want to kill them off.

It would look like that RPG crown you want back is very much within your reach then?

Fargo: We are really trying to deliver on [Wasteland 3] and, like I said, isometric is great for combat but it…in our reveal trailer, you’ve seen that conversation [in first-person] with Fish-Lips and it changes everything. Your connection to that guy changes everything and sowhen combat goes back [to isometric], that person is farmore real now that you’ve seen themup close and heard their voice; that changes the dynamic and that’s what the immersion aspects of first to third person does for you. It’s the same reason that Blizzard spends millions of dollars on those opening movies, because its characters become more real… they have a whole different vibe having seen [them] in the opening movies.

The tradition with sequels has always been to go bigger and go bolder, but is there a risk of a shortfall when you’re relying so heavily on crowdfunding to dictate a budget?

Fargo: I think that a lot of things go wrong with [sequels] when they try to go bigger… I think that a lot of projects can go sideways in this [mentality]. With Wasteland 3, we aren’t making it as big as Wasteland 2; only like five per cent of players finished Wasteland 2, so I’d rather have less maps and go far more detailed and tighter than I would to go bigger and bolder, I don’t think that buys you anything. But the bigger part for us is the visuals and that is things like the camera coming down for conversations, but that’s sort of a different attack.

I think the mistake people often make is that they say,“Well now we need twice as many weapons, twice as many maps, twice as many…” But it’s the personality that you remember, it’s the moments and the charm; it’s the craft that makes these things special, not the size. We are going much narrower, tighter and smarter.

How important do you think visual fidelity actually is? It seems to be a big focus for your next three games?

Fargo: [There is] a new generation of people, that’s why we need to improve the visuals. They aren’t going to be all nostalgic about it, they aren’t going to give us a pass; we better show some better stuff because all they are going to know is Witcher or Dark Souls. They will allow a certain amount of variation – visually speaking – but the closer the gap the more we are likely to get the audience to want these things. We want to sell the most units, and why do we want to sell more units? So that we can make more products! This was one thing that happened with our crowd early on, where we asked what was important and they said, “Well we want a lot of attributes, conversations and depth, etc,” and they’ll put visuals at the bottom. But as soon as we ship the game, the first thing they complain about is any visual problems, and the graphics. It’s always there, even if people won’t really admit it.

Do you think the renewed success of classic isometric RPGs is simply a current trend in gaming or an inevitability?

Fargo: I don’t see these going away; clearly we have tapped a nerve. I think Larian Studios has had the most success, I think they have sold over 1 million copies of Divinity: Original Sin, and I don’t see any end in sight. Clearly they are a fun experience and I don’t see that dropping off; the only reason they ever went away is because the publishers wouldn’t fund them, not because the audience didn’t want them– that was the whole premise for us wanting to do this. They’ve never gone away. We just had a moment where there were people like myself, and Obsidian, who wanted to make the games and we had a whole bunch of consumers who wanted the games, but then you had either a retailer or a publisher standing in our way.

Thankfully, digital got rid of the retailer and crowdfunding got rid of the publisher; now we are back in business.
There's also this:

Grampybone
Acolyte

Post by Grampybone » February 1st, 2017, 12:18 am

Interesting interview, thanks for posting

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » February 1st, 2017, 8:55 am

And this:

Either some significant confusion going on, or Fargo wants to pull the release date forward.
Last edited by Lix on February 1st, 2017, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » February 1st, 2017, 9:47 am

Lix wrote:Either some significant confusion going on, or Fargo wants to pull the release date forward.
Not to disparage inXile's project management, but sticking to a schedule is not something they're great at. Whether it's printed on the page of a magazine or divined from pig entrails, projected release dates don't even register on my retinas any more.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 3rd, 2017, 6:21 am

Today we're pleased to announce that we have teamed up with IndieBox to bring you a special PC collector's edition boxed copy for Wasteland 2: Director's Cut! This limited edition comes with a special set of items - we'll be revealing them in the coming days.

More info: https://www.theindiebox.com/wasteland-2/

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » February 3rd, 2017, 7:28 am

sear wrote:This limited edition comes with a special set of items - we'll be revealing them in the coming days.
I assume that one of them will be the weapon stripping fix that was announced in March 2016.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 14th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Brian and Chris featured in this recent interview about Wasteland 3: https://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/ ... d-3,451094
The very first stretch goal reached unlocked the possibility of much greater customisation of character models. “People really miss not being able to see their armours. We had clothing elements that could change, but you couldn’t see your armours as you upgraded those. So those are going to be there, and then the ‘pieces of flair’ are accessories, that as you change your character, those things will all be visible as well, as you’re crafting your team.”

Brian was particularly excited about the way banter will be handled in Wasteland 3, with the camera zooming in for a close-up view of the post-nuclear barbarians you’ll encounter. “When you played the original Fallouts, you would see those little animated clay heads. And isometric is great for tactics, but it’s not good for immersion and conversation. And so you’ll see from our pitch video when you bring that camera down, and you hear the guy talking, and you see him talking, that when it goes back up and you’re back in combat, you have a closer connection – it feels more real. And the dialogue has more meaning. To me, that’s a big upgrade, and taking us back to some of the original Fallout elements that people loved.”

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » May 30th, 2017, 11:55 am

Fextralife had a WL3 preview post today: http://fextralife.com/wasteland-3-updat ... sign-more/

Crosmando
Grandmaster

Post by Crosmando » May 31st, 2017, 1:56 am

marceror wrote:
November 24th, 2016, 5:50 pm

According to the vision doc, it seems that the Rangers never recovered after their HQ (Ranger Citadel) was destroyed at the end of WL2, so the move to Colorado is more like a complete migration rather than an expedition.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » May 31st, 2017, 5:33 am

Crosmando wrote:
May 31st, 2017, 1:56 am
marceror wrote:
November 24th, 2016, 5:50 pm

According to the vision doc, it seems that the Rangers never recovered after their HQ (Ranger Citadel) was destroyed at the end of WL2, so the move to Colorado is more like a complete migration rather than an expedition.
As far as I understood the Rangers sent some guys to CO to get new technologies/weapons the patriarch talked about in his broadcast to get back on their feet.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.