Next Game: Dragon Wars

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

TΛPETRVE
Master

Re: Next Game: Dragon Wars

Post by TΛPETRVE » February 3rd, 2015, 12:43 pm

This just in from Becky's twitter:

"Dragon Wars 2, Story and engine by Rebecca Heineman, design by Jennell Jaquays and others that will announced soon"
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 3rd, 2015, 4:08 pm

And:

Yes, #dragonwars2 will import characters from dragon wars and bards tale I through III

If DW2 can, BT4 should too! Becky's dropped the gauntlet, inXile!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 3rd, 2015, 4:43 pm

makes me wonder if they might be working somewhat in tandem? If not then they should :D
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » February 3rd, 2015, 7:13 pm

Drool wrote:And:

Yes, #dragonwars2 will import characters from dragon wars and bards tale I through III

If DW2 can, BT4 should too! Becky's dropped the gauntlet, inXile!
Since I wrote those games (BT I-II IIgs) BT III and DW, I have the file format. After all, I designed and wrote it. Slam dunk!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » February 3rd, 2015, 8:09 pm

Sounds good to me, but wouldn't Activision own Dragon Wars because they published it for Interplay?
Matthias did nothing wrong!

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » February 3rd, 2015, 8:56 pm

When Interplay broke away from EA for publishing, I thought they published all their own stuff at that point. I'm looking at the box and manual and I don't see anything about Activision as the publisher. In fact, it says that Dragon Wars is owned by Interplay whereas the Bard's Tale shows Electronic Arts as the owner of the IP. I don't think Activision ever owned it. While most publishers want a contract that says they own the IP, it wasn't a required part of the publication process. But I'm pretty sure Interplay published it and Activision only distributed it.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » February 3rd, 2015, 10:04 pm

Fair enough, I think what interests me most about this whole situation is the revelation that Rebecca Heineman has the source code for all three BT games AND Dragon Wars, that is a big deal, it seems like so much from that era got thrown into the rubbish after the teams finished the game, and the source was lost forever. There's so much that could be done with the source, not just ports to PC but even modding, I mean just look what resulted from iD releasing the source code to Doom, Quake etc, endless creativity.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

fewerlaws
Initiate

Post by fewerlaws » August 15th, 2019, 9:26 am

Rebecca Heineman has the source code to Dragon Wars?! I would love to see that game remastered! How much would I have to pay to get that source code?

fewerlaws
Initiate

Post by fewerlaws » August 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm

burgerbecky wrote:
January 27th, 2015, 4:58 pm
Crosmando wrote:
TΛPETRVE wrote:Becky owns the source code for the first game.
I wonder if she still has the source code. Would be awesome if somehow it was able to be released publicly so a source port could be made.
I have the code for the whole trilogy and Dragon Wars. I'm the one who did that Apple IIgs versions of BT I and BT II, as well as being the creator and sole programmer of BT III and Dragon Wars. As to a public release, that's likely one day.
Wow. You did such an amazing job when you made Dragon Wars. Thank you! That game was one of my all time favorites -- right up there with Baldurs Gate II, Wasteland 1, Ultima V, Wizardry 4 Bane of the Cosmic Forge. The cover art for that game was the best, although I did wonder why those two warriors would choose to battle a dragon with no armor covering covering their beautiful bodies.

I hope you keep the source code backed up in multiple places so that someone can still get it in case something tragic were to happen to you. As a software developer myself, having the original source code makes this so much easier when recreating a game rather than trying to reverse engineer the entire thing. You can write tools that import existing maps and tables (items, experience, etc) from the original source and then export them to new data structures for use in modern game engines.