Next Game: Dragon Wars

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

eightbits
Acolyte

Next Game: Dragon Wars

Post by eightbits » September 29th, 2014, 2:46 pm

I haven't seen any polls for your next game; I'm playing through Wasteland 2 now; Torment is under development. I'm hoping it's only a matter of time until your next fan funding campaign for a game and I'd like to submit a suggestion for it.

I'd love to play a sequel to Dragon Wars.

Dragon Wars was the only CRPG I loved more than Wasteland back in the 8 and 16 bit days. The world was stunningly great, the game system was incredibly well done, and the graphics were about as good as could be expected of RPGs on those little computers.

I think a party-based tactical combat game like Wasteland 2 could be done in a fantasy setting with different equipment, the addition of magic, and some different scenery. I think the game engine is already there. I'd be 100% happy with a game that takes Wasteland 2, rips the post apocalyptic setting out, inserts a fantasy setting, and throws some magic in there. Of course, I'd want the good story, brutal gameplay, and Sumerian or other ancient mythological references that we all loved in Dragon Wars.

And specifically, I'm not simply looking for a fantasy RPG. I backed Torment, but it's no Dragon Wars. And I'm familiar with its Bard's Tale heritage but I'm really not looking for Bard's Tale either. I'm looking for another Dragon Wars.

What are the chances we can get a poll started for the next game to fund and put Dragon Wars 2 on it?

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: Next Game: Dragon Wars

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 29th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Probably way to early for polls and stuff.

Personally I'd much prefer if they'd atempt completely new IP. I'd hate for the whole Kickstarter thing to turn into endless train of nostalgia driven sequels.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » September 29th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I'm not sure if it's too early. They announced Torment right about the time the writing team finished the bulk of its work with Wasteland. They were essentially trying to pipeline the development processes by starting the next project for one of their groups to work on. So I am wondering how soon that will happen now that Torment has been in the works for quite some time.

I'd love to see new IP from InXile too, but I don't want to see the old and good IP abandoned either. It's not really driven by nostalgia. It's driven by a desire to keep really good games around that shouldn't be left to die.

hobblinharry
Novice

Post by hobblinharry » September 30th, 2014, 8:06 pm

i dont think well het a new game announcement from inxile for atleast another year. they will spend atleast the next 6 months patching wasteland 2... granted by that point the fixes will be minor, and of course torment will come out probably this time next year. after torments releaes will be when we get wind of the next game.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » September 30th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Dragon Wars is an awesome game, it combined the first-person dungeon crawling of Bard's Tale with the skill-based style character system of Wasteland, the way skills were used to solve "puzzles" was also quite Wasteland-y.

I recommend playing the Amiga or Apple 2gs version for the best graphics/music.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » October 1st, 2014, 11:44 am

Yeah, the Amiga version rocked. I loved the screams when one of your party took damage. And the music was pretty damned great!

But I'm hoping we'll get an announcement soon. The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter finished in April of 2012 and Torment's finished in April of 2013, only one year apart. The pipelining of his staff was the point of that and I'm hoping that once the major writing for Torment is done he's gonna want to get his writers working on the next project while the coders work out Torment. It's been a year and a half since the Tormnet kickstarter ended. Given how long it has taken to do Wasteland 2, I'm hoping the next funding project will be launched within the next 3 - 6 months.

rhony2
Novice

Post by rhony2 » October 16th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Well, Wasteland is a post-apocalyptic RPG and Planescape a fantasy RPG so I'd like to see a Sci-Fi based one next. I think the engine they developed for Wasteland 2 would work in a SciFi setting. I'm fine with a brand new IP, but the SciFi RPG I really loved back in the day was Planet's Edge (released in 91). It was HUGE and I loved how long it took. I was really sad they did not make a sequel. I'd love to see them make the original playable on modern OS like they did with the original Wasteland as well.
I must say I am really enjoying Wasteland 2 right now, and there is so much reference back to the original Wasteland that I am tempted to play the original again, especially since its been modified to work on modern OS. This was only one of two games I bought both for the Apple II and IBM PC (the other being Wizardry) and I played it many times back in the day but there were still a lot of things I forgot.

Berserkben
Initiate

Post by Berserkben » November 6th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Dragon Wars! This was my favorite of that batch of games (Bard's Tale, Wasteland, etc.) and one of the first cRPG's I ever played to completion. I still have the original disks and manual but sadly the box was tossed back in my younger, non-collecting days. I still remember fighting something named Humbaba in that game, I thought the name sounded cool at the time. If Inxile ever decides to do a high-fantasy RPG, I would like to go back and revisit that world.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » November 11th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Personally I have my doubts how long exactly the Kickstarter funding model is going to be sustainable, as there have been reports of massive drops in pledges. As such I'd expect them to make a safe choice and go for the Bard sequel.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 11th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Also Dragon Wars is owned by Activision.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » January 27th, 2015, 2:29 am

Personally, I'd love to see a Dragon Wars 2. However, it is Burger Becky's baby, so I'd want her to run the show. The IP actually belongs to Interplay, not Activision, and Becky owns the source code for the first game.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 27th, 2015, 5:22 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:Becky owns the source code for the first game.
I wonder if she still has the source code. Would be awesome if somehow it was able to be released publicly so a source port could be made.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » January 27th, 2015, 7:12 am

She does have the code. Though the way I know her (or rather reckon her up; I don't really "know" her :D ), she'll very likely want to do the port herself.

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » January 27th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Crosmando wrote:
TΛPETRVE wrote:Becky owns the source code for the first game.
I wonder if she still has the source code. Would be awesome if somehow it was able to be released publicly so a source port could be made.
I have the code for the whole trilogy and Dragon Wars. I'm the one who did that Apple IIgs versions of BT I and BT II, as well as being the creator and sole programmer of BT III and Dragon Wars. As to a public release, that's likely one day.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » January 27th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Happy to stand corrected :) . Now, on to finishing Battle Chess and kickstarting Dragon Wars 2 it is 8-) ?

eightbits
Acolyte

Post by eightbits » January 27th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Becky, that rocks! And thanks for hopping in on this! What's the best place to keep an eye out for any announcements about this if and when that day comes?

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » January 27th, 2015, 11:07 pm

eightbits wrote:Becky, that rocks! And thanks for hopping in on this! What's the best place to keep an eye out for any announcements about this if and when that day comes?
Follow our company @OldeSkuul on twitter for game announcement(s). For my dumb jokes and coding tips, follow me at @burgerbecky

Becky

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 27th, 2015, 11:17 pm

burgerbecky wrote:
eightbits wrote:Becky, that rocks! And thanks for hopping in on this! What's the best place to keep an eye out for any announcements about this if and when that day comes?
Follow our company @OldeSkuul on twitter for game announcement(s). For my dumb jokes and coding tips, follow me at @burgerbecky

Becky
Sorry to ask but you should really get in contact with Brian/InXile about maybe doing a re-release of the Bard's Tale trilogy with a source port to Windows/Mac/Linux, I imagine with the source code there's nothing you can't do - you could add tooltips to the game for skills/spells etc so you wouldn't have to continually referring to the manual, the interface could be improved, more sound effects added. Would be a million times better than the BT games we have now running through a glitchy kegs emulator.

burgerbecky
Novice

Post by burgerbecky » January 28th, 2015, 12:41 am

Crosmando wrote:
burgerbecky wrote:

Becky
Sorry to ask but you should really get in contact with Brian/InXile about maybe doing a re-release of the Bard's Tale trilogy with a source port to Windows/Mac/Linux, I imagine with the source code there's nothing you can't do - you could add tooltips to the game for skills/spells etc so you wouldn't have to continually referring to the manual, the interface could be improved, more sound effects added. Would be a million times better than the BT games we have now running through a glitchy kegs emulator.
The three games shipped by InXile with the 2004 game "A Quest for Coin and Cleavage" (Seriously?) are the ones I wrote which are the Apple IIgs versions of Bard's Tale I and Bard's Tale II and the Apple ][ version of Bard's Tale III. I would actually use that as the basis for an updated windows/linux/mac/ios/whatever native version. Although, I'd use my unfinished Bard's Tale III for the Apple IIgs version to do an updated version since it has the better graphics and is based on the Dragon Wars engine. To release them, all I need is a license. I can easily put them up for sale on the Olde Skuul steam page. :) Oh, yes, I'd put the manual text into the game!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 28th, 2015, 3:04 pm

I hope you can get the license. I would totally buy a (third) copy of those games for a clean version without DOSBox hiccups, lags, and glitchy music.
Alwa nasci korliri das.