Introduce yourself/general "hello" thread

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Pope Viper
Initiate

Re: Introduce yourself/general "hello" thread

Post by Pope Viper » August 29th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Howdy, Pope Viper, 43, Arlington, TX.

Played original on PC.

I'm excited to get back into this world!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » September 4th, 2013, 9:44 am

Oh hey Pope. Glad to see you could drag your old post vipering bones over here :D
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » October 21st, 2013, 8:20 am

I never said hello, so...

Hello!

I'm Harpo. I'm in my thirties, and I'm a writer based in NYC. I've done a great deal of writing that merges gaming with theater, including a play in the style of an old school Sierra adventure game (complete with EGA color scheme for costumes) and another that was modeled after text adventure games like Zork, with the audience controlling the protagonist. I also do film and television.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

neveser
Initiate

Post by neveser » October 21st, 2013, 6:35 pm

Greetings everyone!

I first played Wasteland on the Apple ][e back in the day. Wizardry, Ultima, Bard's Tale... loved the RPGs back then and still do now.

Can't wait to play this!!!

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » October 22nd, 2013, 8:23 am

Greetings Neveser! Welcome to the forum. Judging by your name dropped games, you have impeccable taste :D
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

VioletShadow
Novice

Post by VioletShadow » December 4th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Hi everyone! I'm 24, female, relatively new gamer (~ 2005 or so) but love CRPGs and Point and Click Adventure games. I've played many of the great cRPGs of old (thanks GOG), Planescape: Torment and the original Fallouts are some of my favorites. I can't wait for Wasteland 2 and Torment :mrgreen:
~One's convictions should be proportional to one's evidence~

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 9th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Welcome aboard, Violet! Love the avatar.

"Mackie!"
He jerked his head up from his book. "Sorry, Razor. Got distracted."
"Again," she replied sardonically. "You know, I've read that, and it's crap."
"I think it's fun. He could have had the world at his beck and call if he'd surrendered personal advantage."
"People don't work that way, Mackie. Most folks aren't Rangers. You've seen what it's like out there."
Mackie set the book down, inserting his thumb as a bookmark. "That's just it, though. There's a scale to these things, and not everybody out there is people as we know it anymore, but some are more people than the humans we meet. And besides, they're interesting."
Razor sighed, shook her head. "Credit where credit's due, he foresaw nuclear submarines by decades, but Wells was too optimistic. I don't know what you see in him, or where you get off talking that way when you always greet people over the barrel of a gun."
Mackie's face fell as she pointed out his hypocrisy. "Maybe I just want to be a better person than I am."
"I think it's self-interest," Razor said, arms crossed. "You collect shit, and folks keep a lot of shit in their head or elsewhere rather than on their persons."
"I'm done with the subject," Mackie snapped back. He again picked up The Invisible Man and, eyes searching, returned to the page.
"Fine," Razor muttered. Her own eyes sought the more practical, the server for the outdoor bar and her drink.

I'm macksting, male, early 30s. I live in the Pacific Northwest of the US, love science fiction and roleplaying games, have a wife and kid, and recently beat Wasteland for the second time ever, and also the second time in a week.
I bought into the Kickstarter near its end, having barely saved up enough to secure myself a copy when it was released. Seeing the budget top $2 million brought me great joy and excitement.
The reason I bought in was not so much Wasteland as it was Fallout, or more particularly Brian Fargo. I've returned to the original Fallout, with its fascinating setting and dark humor, many times since my mother bought it for me my senior year of high school. I made a life for myself in the Brotherhood of Steel, imagined myself a Scribe, organized kit and clutter from all over the region, and even considered what my character's life would be like after the game had ended. I reimagined that man times over, in fact. My fondness for Fallout has at times bordered on mania.
I'm basically past that absurd stage, but Brian Fargo's name stuck in my head. While I knew Wasteland was different, I felt a mighty need to support a Brian Fargo-produced project. Now that Wasteland 1 has seen a rerelease, I've played it twice through and am working on a third, hoping to punch out the Scorpitron with pure brawling/pugilism. A very long-term goal for a party, that!

Rojek
Initiate

Post by Rojek » December 12th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been reading the forum everyday for some time now and I guess the day of beta release is a good reason to start being more active here!

I'm a 24 y.o. Polish fan of Fallout and many, many other (not necessarily RP) games. As for Wasteland 2, I've waited for the beta as if for my birthday and christmas combined and I'm more than eager to voice my suggestions about this project. So yeah, I think that you'll be seeing more of me in opinion threads or game suggestions threads, whether it's plot or mechanics-related.

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » December 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Hello VioletShadow, Rojek, and Macksting!

All of you have awesome Ranger names :). Hope you're enjoying the heck out of the beta right now!
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 12th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Sadly, I have reason to believe I won't even be able to afford the hardware when my copy of the game is released, much less the requirements of the beta; nor could I afford to get into the beta.
It's okay! Mackie and Razor sit this one out for now. They'll get in on it eventually.

Munin
Scholar

Post by Munin » December 27th, 2013, 11:15 am

First of all: hi everyone & merry christmas/happy holidays,

I m a 25 Year old male Belgian (dutch speaking) fan of Fallout, In a way it seems as a curse and a blessing to have played that game (Fallout 2). Never again have I been able to play an in depth kind of game like it again every time I met a game that called itself an RPG I imagine this in my head: (Fallout game being the black heared dude and the game that called itself RPG being the blond dude) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAjV47wKjh8 .

The attempt of Bethesda of attempting to make a Fallout game made me feel like watching this the whole game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ybqsis4A64 . (The maturity of the game could easely be described by the main quest: "go look for your daddy")

I m kinda hoping Wasteland 2 is this blond dude now representing the RPG that can be better than Fallout 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkp8TnCaNCg .

What I m hoping is to see the birth of a modern RPG game. I ve been waiting pretty since the release of Fallout 2 for this game (a decade), so I m not really in a rush now. I m hoping the devs ll take over the Blizzard motto "it is done when it is done"

You will see that I m pretty harsh in my opinions towards this game, as I want it too succeed. You ll also see me rant quite a bit as a result of the traumatic experience I had from playing Fallout 3, I ll try to keep this to a minimum but I can't promise it though :p .

I m also a big fan of the new kind of game industry that is developping, one that gets rid of structures that limit creativity too much. In this modern time it seems so much has changed, for good and for worse: everyone can be famous (unfortunatly: facebook, twitter), everyone has become a journalist / tv anchor (youtube), everyone has become a publisher (steam, digital downloads, kickstarters, mod games becoming real games, ...), ... .

Barriers have been lifted and we ll no doubt see good and bad stuff come from it.

The games I like:
Natural Selection 2 (An RTS game and an FPS game!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27yITzuOVZ8 ), Planetary anihilation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDSh34VoPY , Xcom 2012 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NToJVC9G0oM ), ... And of course Wasteland 2!

I m also secretly hoping that maybe we d get Jake Solomon from Xcom to help on Wasteland 2, he seems the kind of passionate designer that a game like this could really use (not saying that there aren't already a lot of those on the team). Being similar: Xcom being a very old game that has to be translated into a modern game without losing its essence (for example: not ruining it by turning it in an FPS game)

I m also making posts that are way too big, so I ll stop right here :P . Other than games: movies & I also like to jump out of perfectly good airplaines, I mean for fun & with parachute of course .

Ah yeah I almost forgot: my name is Lorens
--------------------------------------------

"Yolanda!, its cool baby, its cool! Just point the gun at me!"

NemesisTrestkon
Initiate

Post by NemesisTrestkon » January 17th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Hello guys, I'm Lester (aka NemesisTrestkon) and the first game I got that introduced me to a post-apocalyptic setting was Fallout 3 and after watching a brief retrospective of the Fallout games through Gametrailers, I decided to try out the original games which I got more playtime out of compared to the third one. But overall, I have grown fond of the post-apocalyptic setting as I kept playing these games.

Outside of the Fallout games though, I am quite a fan of tactics-based games such as Civilization V and XCOM:Enemy Unknown along with other real-time strategy games (particularly Starcraft II). I don't own much, but I got enough variety in my Steam library to give my gaming experience some spice. Aside from that, I also take part in Shadowrun tabletop sessions.

I just like to say, I would love to learn a thing or two about how awesome the Wasteland community is. After seeing how much money was crowdfunded into Wasteland 2, I felt that there really are that many people pining for a proper RPG that FO3 could have been.

Chrono_Rider
Initiate

Post by Chrono_Rider » May 6th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Hi guys, been a big lurker for a long time and wanted to share a project I'm involved in,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... it-classic

its a sci-fi singleplayer and co-op game with platforming and roleplaying elements. You gain skills and upgrades to solve alien mysteries and make game changing decisions that affect your ending. Your gameplay alternates as you progress throughout the game, we have platforming, classic rpg gameplay, top-down shooting, and multiple vehicle sections connected to a time-timetravelling adventure narrative.

We currently support all PC platforms, and aim to simultaneously release on Vita/PS4 and Xbox One.

Thank you for your time.

Boer_kameeL
Acolyte

Post by Boer_kameeL » June 2nd, 2014, 6:03 pm

Belgian, 30y. Been playing a lot of stuff from the 90s to now, with highlights to the Fallouts, Jagged Alliance, mostly thinking man's games - Half Life and Mechwarrior get included in the FPS genres, Civilization, ...

I've played a lot of genres and games, but keep returning to RPGs and tactical / turnbased games. The high performance click click shoot and spam isn't for me any more (besides in MWO), high level gaming just faded as a priority. I want to get home after a busy work day and find myself immersed in a world, where I'm challenged on fantasy, humour, intellect, strategic and tactical levels, in my own pace.

I'm getting the feeling that's what the devs envisioned with WL2, a return to the old values and pace.

And hi to old and new friends from NMA (hallo noorderbuur), I've seen a few and assume there's a lot more around. Talking there in the Miroslav days is how I learned to speak (spell) English. And get challenged mentally by the mentally challenged ^^
CaptainPatch wrote:"There's a Wrong way of doing something and then there's MY way!"

Boom Cheese
Initiate

Post by Boom Cheese » June 5th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Hey guys, I'm Matt from Australia! I'm 19, and I love football, writing, gaming and music. I have a big family and while most of them have gone to university, I still use the family computer to play my games (it's not bad or anything, just not amazing). After my gap year this year I'll be heading off to uni myself however, and I can buy my own personal, powerful desktop.

Ever since I discovered Morrowind in 2005 I've been a sucker for RPGs, and since I love the post-apocalyptic genre (movies, books, games - you name it) it was inevitable that I was going to fall in love with Fallout 3 & New Vegas. Last year I decided to try out Fallout 2, and I really enjoyed it. When I heard of Wasteland 2 (only about 4 months ago) I knew I had to play it, especially in the absence of Fallout 4, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I have given Wasteland 1 a go, but I only played it for about five hours.

Fischer
Acolyte

Post by Fischer » August 15th, 2014, 8:32 am

Hello!

My name is Rasmus from Denmark, and I'm 29 years old :-)

I've been playing computer games since the very early 90's.. so I've been with it from the start. You name it, I've gamed it ;)

I am super excited that old school TB cRPGs are making a return to modern day gaming.

All in all, I am excited that so many kickstarter games are making it and a lot of them tend to be successes.
// Daedalos // Intinium

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » August 15th, 2014, 9:15 am

Welcome Fischer. I too am quite thrilled with the doors crowdsourcing has opened for old school cRPG fans!

Purps
Initiate

Post by Purps » September 4th, 2014, 4:36 am

Hey guys,

Purps (or PurpsUK), 42 for Cheshire, UK.

Been playing games forever, loved the original, can't bring myself to play it now though. play too many games, drink too much beer, have two dogs, two Ferrets, and a very messy house.

Career: Former Royal Marine, now a .Net programmer.

Stopped playing the Beta now, so I'm stupidly excited for the 19th.

Trip
Initiate

Post by Trip » September 25th, 2014, 3:06 am

Oh, look, an introduction thread :)

Emo, short from Emanuil, 28, Eastern European (Bulgarian), English major, on track for university teacher, already a fiction translator, copywriter, sometime writer, interested in game design quite a bit, RPG design in particular. Isometric RPG's are great, also text-games, over-the-shoulder camera sucks. I like steak and cheese and eggs. In bacon. Veggies are cool too, especially the crunchy ones. So, yeah, pleased to meet you :)

KaftanBarlast
Initiate

Post by KaftanBarlast » September 26th, 2014, 3:37 pm

Dear people,

Im an asshole from Sweden who used to troll the Obsidian boards a thousand years ago. My hobbies include fecal grafitti, auto-erotic asphyxiation and table tennis.

yours truly,
The Kaft.