Introduce yourself/general "hello" thread

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Mabec
Initiate

Introduce yourself/general "hello" thread

Post by Mabec » March 5th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Well, here goes nothing

30, male, swedish. Also a collector of retro games and sadly didn't have the opportunity to play Wasteland at its prime time.

When i heard about Fargo going back to his roots, going to start another RPG project, i was all over this.

My best memories are from my childhood playing Fallout. Getting my hands on my first desert eagle and sniping a tough guy far away with, probably minus percentage of hitting chance, killing him on the spot...

Anyway, i will be there with all my dollars the day the kickstarting begins.

PS. Any Blackthorne/Blackhawk-fans out there???
Last edited by Mabec on March 5th, 2012, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TK6530
Initiate

Re: Greetings stranger

Post by TK6530 » March 5th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Been a Fallout fan since the 90's. Curious about what masterpiece Brian Fargo is going to pull, as he has done some really good stuff in the past. Anything else you'll find out later on. I'm a moderator in NMA, I wonder how many from there will sing up here.

cloudyrains
Initiate

Post by cloudyrains » March 5th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Hey everybody!

I must admit I have never played Wasteland, and discovered Fallout 1 shortly before Fallout 3 came out. After playing Fallout 1, let me say that Fallout 3 was a huge disappointment for me. I have been an avid Fallout fan since I discovered it and just love everything about the universe, setting, and plot.

Considering this, my dream for Wasteland 2 is kind of Fallout 2.0, but that is not what this game is nor what it should be. It would be great to see this game stay in the spirit of the original Wasteland and Fallout, but add a modern twist to it. Just, you know, not a Fallout 3 twist :P

In real life I do a lot of military simulation with Airsoft guns and am pretty in to it. It's similar to paintball, but the tactics and guns are a lot more realistic. It would be hard to distinguish some of the Airsoft guns from real ones aside from the internals, and some people even put real parts like receivers/stocks/grips on their guns. I wouldn't call it LARPing, but it does get close. I also have a lot of background/interest in sound design and engineering, and have a big interest in folley art and scoring. I am no professional, but I still think I might have some useful opinions/points.

RangerBen
Global Moderator

Post by RangerBen » March 5th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Suddenly, the doors to Ranger Center open and a balding, greying uniformed officer strides in, his AK-97 balanced over his left shoulder. His name tag has last name "Romulous" and he has a slight mechanical click to his stride. "Hey there fellas. You must have radiation sickness or something. What is this FARGO you speak of? Do you mean that old codger Faran Brygo? And the 90s? What are you, a time-traveler?"

[Ok, we'll compromise. Put your Real-Life introductions here if you want, but also give us an in-character introduction for maximum fun! -Ranger Ben]

Mabec
Initiate

Post by Mabec » March 5th, 2012, 1:51 pm

[Mabec trips over the edge of the carpet as he notices his major mistake]

"Sir, yes sir!"

[He pulls out a thick and dusty book out of his backpack, showing Ben]

"See, this is the almighty travelers guide when it comes to wasted lands, like your daily swiss army knife when it comes to getting out of tight spots. And see, the authors name is B.FARGO"

TwinkieGorilla
Acolyte

TwinkieGorilla

Post by TwinkieGorilla » March 5th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Shouting and singing can be heard from just outside the door of the Wasteland 2 forum.

*door swings open, slams into wall*

Hey guys! How's *hic* hows things?

*raises bottle of bourbon in left hand skyward*

M'names Twink*hic*ieGorilla*hic* and I'll be your--

*falls to ground, passed out*

cloudyrains
Initiate

Post by cloudyrains » March 5th, 2012, 2:13 pm

[Cloudyrains sits up in his chair, realizing what he had just said.]

"The shit you say when you aren't paying attention to yourself.. Sometimes I think I am losing it."

[He stands up, placing his SVD he had been cleaning in his lap on the table next to him.]

"Well, no time to dwell on it. We have things that need doing."

Jess Gulbranson
Initiate

Post by Jess Gulbranson » March 5th, 2012, 2:17 pm

"Cripes, Jackson, you scared me."

"That's Corporal Jackson these days, Momfre. An illustrious rank which your worthless self will never see if you don't know how to stay at ready on sentry duty."

"Yessir, Ja- Cooooorrrrporrrallll Jackson. What brings you to this fine location? Helping out with the reconstruction? Uh, sir."

"I am indeed, Momfre. But I wanted to swing by and give you a free piece of advice. Did you notice and old man hanging around the camp?"

"Sure, gray-bearded old fart in black robes? He came by asking if I wanted to talk about some sort of Zen emptiness or something. I sent his ass on the way, I told him we were all full up of emptiness!"

"Oh, Momfre, you stupid son-of-a-bitch. Do you know who that is? Who that used to be? GENERAL MACMANUS."

"... preezus, Corporal Jackson. The world has moved on. Damn. Glad he's a priest or something now."

"Damn straight. That's probably the only reason you're alive. As you were."

TK6530
Initiate

Post by TK6530 » March 5th, 2012, 2:22 pm

The figure was covered in dust from head to toe. His whole face was covered in the sort of dried mud that is created when you sweat and the dust hits your face for too long. The whole face except a clean spot in an area around his eyes, where his desert goggles once were. He was wearing an old kevlar helmet where his goggles now rested, chin strap loose, disarranged olive green combat fatigues, worn dusty black leather boots and a not better arranged LBE gear. Under all that mess a human being could still be seen looking trough that clean spot around the eyes. His name tag did not have a name, just a serial number of some kind "TK6530".

"Nah, I just like old vintage pre war stuff."

Desert Ranger
Initiate

Post by Desert Ranger » March 5th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Hey, I just found the link to this on NMA and thought I'd sign up. I haven't played the original wasteland (though I have tried to find an original copy or a trustowrthy download), but I'm big fan of Fallout, and I'm really excited at the chance to play the sequel to its predecessor. While I'm here, I might as well post an IC introduction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see a young man, wearing old army combat fatigues and boots, and carrying an AK-97. On his belt there is a gas mask, combat knife and pistol, and He's wearing a kelvar helmet. He dosen't seem to have any rank or position. On his shirt, you see a label, with the words 'DESERT RANGER' stiched on. The young man is unshaven and looks tired,his face covered with dust and cuts. He notices and waves at you, and then silently continues his patrol.

RioDragon
Initiate

Post by RioDragon » March 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Something looks up at you with a foggy glint, long before you approach to make out its structure. Sunlight streams through the rusted holes in the ruined ship's hull, illuminating the figure as it lifted itself up to greet you. A face painted meticulously in a basic black and white palette, representative of a human skull. Along its neck, a spine. Following the spine downwards to the collarbone, some sackcloth covering what appeared to be heavy armor. You ready your gun in caution, expecting hostility, only to be greeted with a warm hand over yours, deterring your fire as he stepped out from the wreckage into the coastal sand. "I don't see many strangers around here, friend. You looking for salvage?"

[I'm RioDragon, a big fan of Fallout and Wasteland, even if I got to the games a bit late, playing Fallout 1 and 2 for the first time around 2006 or 2007, and Wasteland later around 2008 or 2009. I went to Savannah College of Art and Design for game design, but unrelated classes and costs of the school kinda knocked me out to look for work, which I recently found working fairground games for a theme park this summer. I'm 22 years old, and have been a gamer since I was five, spanning from an IBM DOS PC to modern consoles. Eventually, I want to work on developing games myself, hopefully on Fallout and Wasteland (future of those series permitting), and eventually my own IPs.]

infestor
Explorer

Post by infestor » March 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm

27, male, turk. i love fallout 1,2 (like most people here) and heard so much about wasteland. also, planescape: torment is by far my favorite crpg (yes, avellone and his team would get my money if they decided to go ahead with kickstarter). wait, why am i here then? oh, still excited about wasteland 2
"People who get up early in the morning cause war, death and famine."
—Banksy

nightwatcher
Initiate

Post by nightwatcher » March 6th, 2012, 4:07 am

27, male, Turk. I litereally "lived" in the fallout universe and afterwards I found out the Wasteland game. I hope it will become a cult again. Best of luck to everyone.

Cheers, and peace.
Vic can't aim.

egalor1
Initiate

Post by egalor1 » March 6th, 2012, 4:30 am

Russian, 32 years old. Yeah, I am that old :)

I used to watch my elder brother play WL back in the 80s, and then played in extensively in early 90s. I was very proud I could play as a Russian :)

Needless to say I played and enjoyed other great RPGs, which you can easily guess. So, currently I am looking forward to WL2 now, and willing to a$$i$t its development in any way I can :)

roguetrooper
Initiate

Post by roguetrooper » March 6th, 2012, 4:55 am

war never changes...

neither in greece...
or what's left from her after the apocalypse...
the 13% of the population that survived it talk about an old legend...
a distant wasteland, a place of hope...
is it true...?
will anyone survive to see it?

Atomkilla
Initiate

Post by Atomkilla » March 6th, 2012, 5:18 am

Known for Fallout since 2005-ish, played and finished it a couple years back.
Known for Wasteland since 2008-ish, but got around to it some time ago and still in the first playthrough (actually, fourth, but never finished the thing).
Got the dumbest username around.

Do I need to sacrifice a puppy to join?

RangerBen
Global Moderator

Post by RangerBen » March 6th, 2012, 8:07 am

Do I need to sacrifice a puppy to join?
"Ranger, we don't sacrifice puppies 'round here. We train 'em to sniff for mines. Glad to see some respect for the old and new." Ranger Taran Scyll Romulous emits a 'tsk-tsk' at the last few folks who've wandered in as if in a daze, forgetting for the moment they are tried and true proud desert rangers stationed in the New Nevadan wastes. "Keep your Uzi clean. Keep your nose dry. Or was it the other way around?" he mutters as he makes his rounds.

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » March 6th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Sergeant, M, U.S. with Proton ax in hand.

Just fired up an old 486 to see what characters I had on my 5 1/4 floppies, and every program disk including the master disk all said "packed file is corrupt" ughhh. Luckily I found a 3 1/2 floppy that had the WL and Escape from Hell master disks backed up and was able to get back into the saved games.

BTW if anyone is looking for an original forum avatar, all the animated ones are HERE and HERE.

Image Image

Shane_for_Wax
Initiate

Those Wastes, Man

Post by Shane_for_Wax » March 6th, 2012, 12:39 pm

The young man had not always been in the Southwest with the Rangers. He had had to travel a long ways. But now that he had found a place to rest he found it to be a place to stay. He had intended to just visit then move on. But he liked the Rangers. Some were a bit more crass than he might like but they seemed to be a rather good bunch, indeed. He pushed his way inside of a building that advertised cool drinks and a cool atmosphere.

"Hullo, it's just me, Shane," he called out so as to announce his presence. He then went to go take a seat and order a drink. He could use a whisky.
Character: Male, 25, Caucasian, weapon of choice: laser carbine
Real Life: Male, 23, tan, weapon of choice: Mosin Nagant

Redhawk
Initiate

I am a name AND a password

Post by Redhawk » March 6th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Damn you, Goliath!
What I need to get home is
an ion beamer.