Is Wasteland 2 worth playing?

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

Young-Master-Zero
Initiate

Is Wasteland 2 worth playing?

Post by Young-Master-Zero »

I've been thinking about buying that collection that has both Wasteland 1 and 2 on Steam. But I keep hearing that Wasteland 2 has awful game design and writing. I'm definitely gonna buy the Wasteland 1 remaster no matter what but I wanna know if I should buy the "digital deluxe" (Or whatever it's called) collection on Steam or just buy the remaster on it's own and ignore Wasteland 2.

What should I do?
Freebird. Mantra of the moron.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Is Wasteland 2 worth playing?

Post by Drool »

I think Wasteland 2 is worth playing. It's a competent enough squad-based game. The writing is a little cliche, but nothing atrocious or anything like that. Also, I think a lot of the storyline and design complaints are from die-hard Wasteland aficionados.

Kinda like Fallout in that regard. Most people feel that while Fallout 3 had its problems, it wasn't too terrible, but die-hard Fallout fans tended to hate it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Young-Master-Zero
Initiate

Post by Young-Master-Zero »

Drool wrote: February 1st, 2020, 1:55 pmAlso, I think a lot of the storyline and design complaints are from die-hard Wasteland aficionados.
Yeah I saw a thread on another forum called "Wasteland 2 ending has major plot holes" or something like that which was really critical of the game so i was on the fence.
Freebird. Mantra of the moron.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Okay, refreshed my memory on that thread, and yeah, it's pedantic grognard complaining (which I say with love). On a casual playthrough, it's largely fine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe »

It was pretty fun. Agree with Drool, most of the complaints from us Wasteland fans are around it not being Wasteland enough, rather than it being a bad game in general....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug »

I really enjoyed it (and finished it 3 times). There a few flaws (a few minor bugs, and some lack of balancing between weapons/armor, mostly, but nothing crippling), but overall it's a great party-based RPG, with some interesting quests/locations/characters, lots of tiny details making the world "alive", and a solid combat system.

But I never played Wasteland 1 so I can't say how wasteland-ish it is.
Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo »

kilobug wrote: February 4th, 2020, 12:40 am But I never played Wasteland 1 so I can't say how wasteland-ish it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5q ... 6E726A508F

*I must have watched this completely through at least three times already.
Etagloc
Novice

Post by Etagloc »

I really liked wasteland 2, and had enough fun to complete it twice. Once on release and once on Def edition.

I will say that the Def really did improve the over all game, so that is what you should be playing.
Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal »

Wasteland 2 is a very decent game. It is far from bad, and for me it is the best RPG InXile has yet delivered.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 »

Worth playing? WL2 has some rough patches, some planning errors, but it's an OK game. You'll have to accept that mistakes were made, and not just the brutality. (Hey, it's a post-Doom game shelf out there.) But if a few gameplay vids and demos don't turn you away, you might have a bit of fun with it. It's long, it's adventurous, and at it's core it's enjoyable. I suggest considering Wl2 when RPG shopping.

Return to “General Discussion”