Phoenix Point Epic announcement

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Phoenix Point Epic announcement

Post by Woolfe » March 12th, 2019, 11:19 pm

So I am pretty displeased with this.

I really hate exclusivity. Even if it is only for a year. They are offering refunds, but I want the game.

For all its sins, Steam offers the ability to purchase through other market places... That for me is a big one.

What are others opinions?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Phoenix Point Epic announcement

Post by Gizmo » March 13th, 2019, 2:04 am

This is akin to taking out a loan with stipulations, then trying to pay it back [unadjusted] when you violate the terms... and it pretends to not have benefited from the loan—when the loan might have been the sole reason the endeavor became possible; (that value just slips away hidden under the table). Like buying a lottery ticket on the verbal contract of splitting the winnings, then having won, renege and offer to pay them back their four dollars, and call it square.

These people would likely not have been given the the money to create an Epic exclusive title, but now that they have a product sufficient to interest Epic, they want to make it one, and then laughably cut ties with their benefactors—to run off with the product... which (at least ethically) doesn't wholly belong to them, until released as stipulated. Good-faith goes out the window; the concept doesn't exist anymore.

The only reason they would do this, is [figuratively speaking] if they see Epic as a safe harbor/sugar-daddy, placing them beyond the reach and concern for their creditors [backers] —whom they can then safely screw out of their [usually it's money, but in this case it's just their wasted time, and anticipation of the product they were a founding part of]. A great way to earn enmity though. It seems a typical mindset these days; jump ship for the so called bigger & better deal, regardless of the trust and investment placed in you. There are people who would be ashamed of themselves for even contemplating such a thing.

Their quote says it all, and puts their mentality on display:
...we really do believe that it is in the best interests of our studio...
https://www.pcgamesn.com/phoenix-point/ ... ames-store

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 13th, 2019, 6:54 am

Well apparently it is very much in their interest... to the extent that even if every backer asked for a refund they would still be good.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » March 13th, 2019, 7:13 am

I was very dissapointed as a backer and will probadly refund.
Even if they offer freebies for the first year for backers.

That being said: If they make more Money from the EPIC deal than with all the backers and the people who would have bought it on Steam/GOG only... well good for them. So from a business view I understand them, as a customer AND backer... not so much.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 13th, 2019, 11:57 am

Grohal wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:13 am
That being said: If they make more Money from the EPIC deal than with all the backers and the people who would have bought it on Steam/GOG only... well good for them. So from a business view I understand them, as a customer AND backer... not so much.
They shouldn't be in a position to do that; they got where they are by making promissory commitments that they have now decided to break faith with; for profit and convenience sake—they are willing to cut ties with everyone who helped them; seeing themselves newly in a position that won't be affected by bad will from their backstab.

This will mar their reputation—and it will have been a mark deliberately earned. It's possible that they see this as the best deal for their backers as well (with pressure to accept it), and are fine with a minority of irate backers leaving them... but this shows that their word is only trustworthy when it suits them, and that they have no qualms backing out on their word if they want to. Their promise should have made Epic's tempting offer impossible to accept without a unanimous vote from their backers (down to the last one of them)... Not because of any legal standing [which the backers don't have], but because this would release the studio from their word, and allow them to accept in good conscience.

See... This is somewhat akin to what happened between Disney and the late Robin Williams, with the making of Aladdin (if you consider Williams as the backer community). He agreed to use his talent (his resources) for the film on the stipulation that they not use his celebrity and talent to compete with him in the market; (he had another movie coming out at the time, and didn't want his name, talent, and celebrity used to advertise a competing product). Disney agreed. He did the Genie. When the time came, and Disney had the genie in the bag—they reneged, and sold the film on the Genie anyway. They did this against his condemnation of it, citing that there was no signed contractual agreement; Mr. Williams had worked with them on trust. Way to go Disney. :|

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 13th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Grohal wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:13 am
I was very dissapointed as a backer and will probadly refund.
Even if they offer freebies for the first year for backers.

My sentiment as well. If the backers hadn't anted up in the first place, they wouldn't be in a position to do this. That is what pisses me off about it.

Highwayman667
Acolyte

Post by Highwayman667 » March 16th, 2019, 6:14 am

Squad tactics against lovecraftian extraterrestrial horrors ? Count me the fuck in.