Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter Launches)

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter Launches)

Post by Woolfe » October 30th, 2018, 2:53 am

There really hasn't been a lot of media about it which is surprising
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » October 30th, 2018, 9:59 am

In some of the comments, they talk about not really being great at media / marketing. The dollar amount hasn't moved within $1k of last night. It's going to take a lot to push it past its goal in the final days. :(

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » October 30th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Woolfe wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:53 am
Unfortunately, I'm not really surprised. There's no famous developers working on it, it's not from a known studio, and not a sequel to a popular franchise... (Despite using the 3.5 OGL, it's not an official D&D game). Good news it is looking like they won't need media coverage to at least get funded. Brian Fargo, Obsidian, and Sven from Larian have all tweeted about it in support. Hopefully there will be a few more shoutouts from big names in RPG crowdfunding.
Jalis wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 9:59 am
In some of the comments, they talk about not really being great at media / marketing. The dollar amount hasn't moved within $1k of last night. It's going to take a lot to push it past its goal in the final days. :(
Well, it's normal for Kickstarters to progress very slowly in the middle. Most of the funding comes in the first few days and the last few days. Things will probably pick up again in the last week & the last two days in particular since the 48 hr reminder emails go out. For whatever reason lots of backers like to wait until the last minute to back projects. In some cases it's because people are waiting to see how much extra money they''ll have to spend.

Also many people don't seem to understand how Kickstarter works. My buddy was surprised to find out that you're not charged until the campaign is over (assuming the goal is reached) so he was waiting to back this until I told him his card wouldn't be charged until the 15th.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 30th, 2018, 11:59 pm

daveyd wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:55 pm
Woolfe wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not really surprised. There's no famous developers working on it, it's not from a known studio, and not a sequel to a popular franchise... (Despite using the 3.5 OGL, it's not an official D&D game). Good news it is looking like they won't need media coverage to at least get funded. Brian Fargo, Obsidian, and Sven from Larian have all tweeted about it in support. Hopefully there will be a few more shoutouts from big names in RPG crowdfunding.
That might draw some attention, the only references I am seeing to it are on forums not unlike this.

I was kind of hoping that some of the gaming news establishments(especially the rpg types ones) may have made contact to get some more information.

Heck even a reddit AMA would be useful.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » November 2nd, 2018, 6:15 pm

Woolfe wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 11:59 pm
daveyd wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:55 pm
Woolfe wrote:
That might draw some attention, the only references I am seeing to it are on forums not unlike this.

I was kind of hoping that some of the gaming news establishments(especially the rpg types ones) may have made contact to get some more information.

Heck even a reddit AMA would be useful.

Yeah, the gaming news media really dropped the ball on this one. Only actual article that I'm aware of (in English) is the RPGWatch Gamescom preview from a couple months ago. Even the indie centric gaming sites are ignoring it.

But anyway it's 74% funded with almost two weeks left so it's pretty much a guarantee that the goal will be met (and probably a few stretch goals). The 48 hr reminder emails will push it over the top if it isn't there already by then.

Dark_Ansem
Initiate

Post by Dark_Ansem » November 9th, 2018, 11:07 am

Jalis wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:28 pm
Worried about this one... they've been stagnant in the $70k area for several days. With 2 weeks remaining, I'm sure they'll get an influx of backers waiting to see if it'll make it, but... it looks to have ground to a halt. Which would be a shame.
And I guess luckily this wasn't right!

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » November 12th, 2018, 3:42 am

Well it's officially met its goal with 3 days left to go for stretch goals.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » November 12th, 2018, 11:08 am

I backed this a while ago (despite Linux support only hinted at as a stretch goal, which is not in sight yet and by now likely out of reach), but I do have mixed feelings. The general concept and gameplay mechanics look really interesting and solid, but the writing ... it's just bad. Both the style and the content. So far I only heard of "programmer art", but if there is anything like "programmer writing", that must be it. It's so full of cliché, and at the same time the prose is uninspired and long winded. I'm a terrible writer, and I know it, and what I would write would pretty much mirror what they've shown so far, except I would at least try to make it original.

I want them to succeed, but I do hope their budget allows for a professional writer or editor, preferably one whose native tongue is English. (For all I know the guys are Germans; which makes them fellow countrymen and which would explain the (lack of) style; but which is no excuse for the many stereotypes and bad story telling on display throughout the Kickstarter updates.)

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » November 14th, 2018, 8:16 am

kaiman wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 11:08 am
I backed this a while ago (despite Linux support only hinted at as a stretch goal, which is not in sight yet and by now likely out of reach), but I do have mixed feelings. The general concept and gameplay mechanics look really interesting and solid, but the writing ... it's just bad. Both the style and the content. So far I only heard of "programmer art", but if there is anything like "programmer writing", that must be it. It's so full of cliché, and at the same time the prose is uninspired and long winded. I'm a terrible writer, and I know it, and what I would write would pretty much mirror what they've shown so far, except I would at least try to make it original.

I want them to succeed, but I do hope their budget allows for a professional writer or editor, preferably one whose native tongue is English. (For all I know the guys are Germans; which makes them fellow countrymen and which would explain the (lack of) style; but which is no excuse for the many stereotypes and bad story telling on display throughout the Kickstarter updates.)
The developers have said that the main purpose of this Kickstarter is to pay writers & are looking to hire a lead writer. .Their engine is pretty much feature complete, they have lots of art assets, but what they don't have much of yet is content. If you'll notice the 2nd stretch goal (which will very likely be reached by tomorrow) is to hire two additional writers: Scott Hamm & Casey Hollingshead.

Guido Henkel (who is German but lives in the US) was previously working on the game as creative director and apparently designed a lot of the basic world lore; though he says a lot of it may since have been changed or cut since he left the project.

As for the cliche writing.. I think this is a criticism that could pretty much be leveled at most works of medieval fantasy. I mean, it's pretty much all heavily inspired by Tolkien (if not a blatant ripoff) isn't it? On occasion they might take inspiration from Howard (Conan), but yeah for the most part it's a slight variation on a tale we've heard many times before.

Personally I'd love to see more CRPGs based on different regions and historical periods rather than pseudo- medieval Western Europe fantasy all the time, but for whatever reason deviating too far from the standard high fantasy doesn't seem to sell as well (post-apoc and cyberpunk being the two notable exceptions but both are still very rare compared to fantasy).

Anyway, hopefully with the new writers on board they will be able to craft some interesting quests and a decent story. But I don't think there's that many examples of highly original fantasy RPGs that avoid common cliches... The Witcher series is perhaps the most original recent fantasy CPRGs I can think of but of course it had the advantage of being based on a series of novels and obviously a huge budget to work with.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » November 14th, 2018, 10:34 am

daveyd wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 8:16 am
The developers have said that the main purpose of this Kickstarter is to pay writers & are looking to hire a lead writer. .Their engine is pretty much feature complete, they have lots of art assets, but what they don't have much of yet is content. If you'll notice the 2nd stretch goal (which will very likely be reached by tomorrow) is to hire two additional writers: Scott Hamm & Casey Hollingshead.
It's pretty much my hope that the writing will improve, because based on what is shown of the game systems, everything looks to be well made and quite likeable.
daveyd wrote:
Guido Henkel (who is German but lives in the US) was previously working on the game as creative director and apparently designed a lot of the basic world lore; though he says a lot of it may since have been changed or cut since he left the project.
Henkel is quite well-known in Germany for his Realms of Arkania trilogy. He's also been the producer of Planescape: Torment (and it's his face on the cover). Would have been great had he stayed on board.
daveyd wrote:
As for the cliche writing.. I think this is a criticism that could pretty much be leveled at most works of medieval fantasy. I mean, it's pretty much all heavily inspired by Tolkien (if not a blatant ripoff) isn't it? On occasion they might take inspiration from Howard (Conan), but yeah for the most part it's a slight variation on a tale we've heard many times before.
I always find it a bit cheap if fantasy worlds are closely modelled after actual cultures or nations (and that's an issue that Howard also has more than Tolkien, which is why I am more tolerant of Elves and Dwarves than pseudo-Greeks or -Celts). Lets just hope they deviate enough from their real world inspirations to allow for an element of strangeness and surprise.