Best games of 2018 pc

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Best games of 2018 pc

Post by Woolfe » September 24th, 2018, 10:22 pm

So I did a google search for Best games of 2018 pc, it's an interesting list.

Not sure how it works the list out, but there are some interesting games in the mix with all the usual AAA titles.

I was pleased to see
"Into the Breach" - By the creator of FTL. It's on my list to pick up.
"Frost Punk" - By the creators of "This war of mine" another on my list of games I am keen to pick up.
"Battletech" - Great Game :-)
"Valkyria Chronicles 4" - I have played the prior one, and it was a good game, Anime styling and plot with some solid tactical turn based combat.
"The Banner Saga 3" - The ending of the saga. Weird Turn based combat, not bad just odd. But the story is glorious.

Anything else on the list people are keen on?
Last edited by Woolfe on September 25th, 2018, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Re: Best games of 2018 pc

Post by vv221 » September 25th, 2018, 11:19 am

Well, without a link to said list it will be hard to find the one you’re talking about :mrgreen:

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 25th, 2018, 7:05 pm

vv221 wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 11:19 am
Well, without a link to said list it will be hard to find the one you’re talking about :mrgreen:
Well I figured most people knew how type "Best games of 2018 pc" into a google search but ok.

Here you go

I hope you realise I had to look up how to do a URL link properly again ... :shock: :?

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » September 26th, 2018, 2:01 pm

The thing with Google is that its search resuls are not the same for everyone, they’re carefully crafted for each profile ;)
So I guess you’re discussing this list, on Rock Paper Shotgun?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 26th, 2018, 5:58 pm

vv221 wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:01 pm
The thing with Google is that its search resuls are not the same for everyone, they’re carefully crafted for each profile ;)
So I guess you’re discussing this list, on Rock Paper Shotgun?
Ah... no they aren't. If you search for a specific phrase, like for example "Best games of 2018 PC" it will return a list that is determined by it's own internal algorithm. Because there are only X number of Games(for example) released in a specific year. I don't know how it determines popularity. I assume it is based on some sort of crazy algotrithm, but the list is not different for different people.

I just tested it. I have a clean build machine, I logged in with an account that is not my own, confirmed that I am not logged into the google page. I got the exact same list. I also harrassed a colleague who has very different gaming tastes to me, and he had the exact same list.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » September 29th, 2018, 5:08 am

Oh, now I see what you’re talking about, it actually wasn’t showing on the other browser I used to do this search.

I think I didn’t play any of these games yet, but there are a couple ones I’m most probably going to try at some point.
I’ve had an eye on Into the Breach and Frostpunk for quite some time now… Battletech is on my list too (backed it), now that the Linux version seems to be coming soon. And lastly I own Pillars of Eternity 2 (backed it too), but still need to do a full playthrough of the first before trying this one.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 30th, 2018, 12:09 pm

For me, it's probably Dead Cells. I don't think any other game has been as "jump in and have a great time" for me. I realize that there are longer, more technically impressive, mechanically complex, or more narratively affecting games out there, but to be honest, I really don't have time for extended-length sessions these days.

Honorable mention to the first 2-3 hours of Binary Domain. Yes, it didn't come out this year. Yes, I got it for $1 in a Humble Bundle. Yes, I'm not sure if I will keep playing it. But damn is it cheesy in all the best ways. Plus, it's got Big Bo, so...

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » September 30th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Dead Cells looks pretty cool... Also freaking hard... I was never a huge platformer fan... I am not sure if I would have the patience ....

Binary Domain... 2012 :-) $1 looks like a good buy. I love those cheesy guilty pleasures at times. If its fun, its fun.