Books - especially gaming themed

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

BarredBard
Initiate

Books - especially gaming themed

Post by BarredBard » September 18th, 2018, 9:58 pm

I'm always looking for books that include gaming, either role-playing or computer games. What's out there that you recommend?

I know there's a LitRPG genre out there now, but it can be hit or miss, especially with a lot of them either translated or self-published, often with light editing and really juvenile humor. I'd welcome recommendations for the better books in this genre.

One of my favorite gaming books is The Eight-Bit Bard by Aaron Rath. It imagines that the characters in an old-school RPG come to life inside the game, and what that must be like for them. It hits on all the classics: Wizardry, Pool of Radiance, Might and Magic, Ultima, and Bard's Tale, too. A good blend of humor and nostalgia.

Another is Bob Defendi's Death by Cliche. It's more of a live gaming session gone wrong, with a character pulled into a fantasy world, than computer gaming, but I found it really funny.

Maybe a bit of a stretch for this list, but Jeffery Russell's The Dungeoneers series scratches that itch, too. It's not exactly about gaming, but especially in the first book where a troupe of dwarves professionally dismantles a dungeon, it's pretty self-aware about role-playing tropes and systems. Hilarious, too.

I'd add Ready Player One, but I assume everyone already knows about that one.

What else is out there worth reading?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Books - especially gaming themed

Post by Drool » September 19th, 2018, 2:53 pm

BarredBard wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 9:58 pm
One of my favorite gaming books is The Eight-Bit Bard by Aaron Rath.
I actually know him. Glad you like his book!
Alwa nasci korliri das.