Pillars of Eternity 2 - Deadfire

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

kilobug
Adventurer

Pillars of Eternity 2 - Deadfire

Post by kilobug » May 27th, 2018, 3:29 am

I'm surprised there is no talk about that game here.

Anyway I just finished it, and I loved it. Story, character and quests are great, the graphics are very good, the gameplay is fun (less tedious than PoE1 was to me, with so many trash mobs, and the ship managing system is way more fun than the stronghold), and it has the right freedom feel of an "open world" without the tedious walks and the feeling of smallness that "full open world" tend to generate in me ("what I can just walk between those two cities in a couple of minutes ?").

Only drawback I found is balance, the game was too easy even in "veteran" difficulty, both in the "normal" RTwP combat, and during naval battles (and overall ship management, wasn't hard to keep morale at 100%, ...). Level scaling is fine enough, I reached max level (level 20) not long before the final quest (unlike PoE1 where you easily could reach max level at 2/3 of the game).

Next part spoils (somewhat) the story of PoE1 / PoE2 so read at your own risk.

Also, it's somewhat surprising how much the game has a Numenera feel in the lore and story. An ancient civilization building magical-seeming machines, god-like being, and then going extinct ? That feels so Ninth World ! I loved it :)

PS : the "spoiler" tag didn't seem to work, so I used "color=#f0f0f0" ...

sear
Developer

Re: Pillars of Eternity 2 - Deadfire

Post by sear » May 27th, 2018, 1:54 pm

I've been having a good time with it. I've just got to Neketaka and have been poking around the first district, and hopefully can make a bit more progress over the rest of the weekend. Other than all the improvements to the visuals, sound, and so on, what I really love is the pacing and feeling of exploration out on the open seas. That kind of free-roaming structure is something I always loved in the 90s RPGs, and Pillars 2 leans even more heavily into it than the first game did, which should make it even more replayable. :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 28th, 2018, 4:48 am

A fair few of the regulars don't like the RTwP format, which might account for the lack of conversation on it.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » May 28th, 2018, 12:42 pm

PoE was a game that needed 2-3 years of constant patching to reach its full potential, and it taught me never to play another Obsidian game at launch. When they announced three mid-game DLCs before the game was even released, that just solidified my opinion. I briefly felt the itch to try it out last week, but then I spent a minute looking through Obsidian's bug report forum and decided against it.

I have Deadfire pencilled in for Christmas 2019/20, and I think there's a good chance that it'll be a complete and polished experience by then.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » May 28th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Deadfire is in my backlog. I have it on GoG, but I've not downloaded it yet.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 29th, 2018, 12:26 am

Woolfe wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 4:48 am
A fair few of the regulars don't like the RTwP format, which might account for the lack of conversation on it.
I much prefer turn-based too, but PoE2 RTwP isn't too bad, mostly because the AI is quite good, and you can let it control part of the battle, only manually using your abilities (and consumables) when required.
Lix wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 12:42 pm
PoE was a game that needed 2-3 years of constant patching to reach its full potential, and it taught me never to play another Obsidian game at launch.
That was true for PoE, but Tyranny was fine at release, and PoE2 is too. I had like one minor quest bug, one crash, and a few minor UI glitches in the whole playthrough. As for DLC, they give the opportunity to replay the game later on ;) But there is a patch coming "beginning of june" that is supposed to fix my main complain about the game right now, even the "hard" difficulty level ("veteran") is quite easy, so if you didn't start playing it, probably better to wait a couple of weeks.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 30th, 2018, 2:52 am

The RTWP honestly is fine with me, what really annoys me is my OCD need to clear every single dungeon and kill every single enemy, because the game doesn't reward you for it apart from from minor loot, so the experience is a bit of a slog for me. Is XP any different in Deadfire?
Matthias did nothing wrong!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 31st, 2018, 1:01 am

Crosmando wrote:
May 30th, 2018, 2:52 am
The RTWP honestly is fine with me, what really annoys me is my OCD need to clear every single dungeon and kill every single enemy, because the game doesn't reward you for it apart from from minor loot, so the experience is a bit of a slog for me. Is XP any different in Deadfire?
The XP system is mostly the same than in PoE : you don't get XP per fight, but you get XP for exploring, solving quests, and unlocking info about enemies in the bestiary (so you get XP when you fight new enemy types, but not if you keep fighting the same ones again and again). The XP "curve" is better calibrated, on PoE I reached max level at like 2/3 of the game, while in Deadfire I only reached it very close to the end (while I did almost all side quests and explored about everything). There is also less "trash mobs" and repetitive fight of the same enemies in Deadfire.

It's true that loot becomes somewhat irrelevant mid-game, you end up having good items quite quickly and then slowly upgrade them or swap a few, as for money, at around 2/3 of the game you end up having more you'll ever need (unless you want to unlock some achievements like "buy a ship of each type", and even then...).

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » June 11th, 2018, 11:07 am

By far the best game out of the entire "revival" era. Even if it makes me suffer through RtwP.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 19th, 2018, 2:32 am

I started playing it yesterday, combat is actually pretty good but holy shit it seems like every NPC is absolutely insufferable, I just hate everyone especially the Vailians. Took me about 20 minutes to boot Serafen from my party I hate him so much. Say what you will about Baldur's Gate but at least it had likable characters (even the villains).
Matthias did nothing wrong!