Ready Player One's Scorpitron?

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

Lucius
Master

Ready Player One's Scorpitron?

Post by Lucius » April 3rd, 2018, 6:18 pm

Ok, inXile posted this on FB, apparently Ready Player One has a mechanical scorpion in it, that looks identical to the scorpitron we all know and love. I'm really surprised there isn't a post here on this already.

The scorpion itself could either be a reference to the Scorpitron from the game Wasteland, the scorpion from the game Centipede, one of the Zoids toys by Tomy, or the guard scorpion from Final Fantasy VII. -Per some website I found dissecting the trailer. I can imagine there are other things it could be referencing as well. I am suuuuper curious if it is in fact a reference to Wasteland. I do not recall a scorpion, or a WL reference in the book. There are Centipede references but that scorpion design, I wouldn't have though "Centipede" when seeing it. Though maybe I don't know enough about Centipede to think armed mechanical scorpion from the 8 pixels that would have indicated the scorpion enemies in Centipede.

Brian Fargo, you are the one who can get me the answer to this! Use your connections and sate my curiosity!

BrianG
Initiate

Re: Ready Player One's Scorpitron?

Post by BrianG » September 15th, 2018, 9:15 am

I think its an easter egg like you mention for hard core fans who are just like you and me.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Ready Player One's Scorpitron?

Post by Gizmo » September 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

... Well I'd like to say that they copied mine—but mine was done straight from the WL2 concept art, shortly after it was released. :mrgreen:

[Thread link in Sig]